Gas pump rubber boots are going away!

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2012 17:42 #521591 by mtbspeedfreak
Gas pump rubber boots are going away! was created by mtbspeedfreak
Good afternoon all,

The EPA announced that they “intend to phase out the rubber boots on gas pump handles intended to capture harmful gasoline vapors while refueling.” Great news for bikers!

www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politics/epa-gas-pump-handles

Enjoy the weekend, keep the rubber side down!
Mark

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike KZ750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2012 18:03 #521596 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas pump rubber boots are going away!
Those things have been removed from nearly all pumps in my area for a long time (years). I suspect the EPA decided to say it's ok to remove them rather than admit that they could not possibly enforce such a thing. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 May 2012 18:41 - 11 May 2012 18:59 #521602 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic Gas pump rubber boots are going away!
I had never used one until I took a ride to California last summer, we're free of them around here. My first thought was WTF is that and how will I use it? I left the first station that had one hoping the next wouldn't but no luck. Good riddance, anything the EPA gives up is good in my book.

Holy crap, just read the article. They expect to save 6 BILLION over the next 5 years? It costs over a BILLION dollars a year to have that crap? smh

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter
Last edit: 11 May 2012 18:59 by damarble.

More
11 May 2012 19:34 #521620 by VenturaRider
Replied by VenturaRider on topic Gas pump rubber boots are going away!
Well they just F'ed fuel station owners here in Kommiefornia big time. A few years ago Kommiefornia's AQMD (air quality management department)made all stations within the state upgrade their vapor recovery systems. We had 1 gas pump at the fueldock at street level that could service cars and it would have cost 30grand to retrofit the existing vapor recovery system. No vapor recovery required for fueling boats. Needless to say there was no way to ever recover the cost of the retrofit on 1 pump at street level and we removed the hose and capped it to comply.

Sheesh all for phoney global warming. :angry:

I like George Carlin's take on global warming. :woohoo:

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.

More
11 May 2012 19:41 #521623 by VenturaRider
Replied by VenturaRider on topic Gas pump rubber boots are going away!

damarble wrote: I had never used one until I took a ride to California last summer, we're free of them around here. My first thought was WTF is that and how will I use it? I left the first station that had one hoping the next wouldn't but no luck. Good riddance, anything the EPA gives up is good in my book.

Holy crap, just read the article. They expect to save 6 BILLION over the next 5 years? It costs over a BILLION dollars a year to have that crap? smh

Its a big deal servicing all that crap, more plumbing,more containment areas for possible leaks with sensors to monitor each one of them. :S

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.