Broke "Down on main Street"

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 May 2012 16:01 - 01 May 2012 16:30 #519121 by Kawickrice
Broke "Down on main Street" was created by Kawickrice
Went to the Leesburg Bike Fest this past weekend. 200,000 plus bikes. Stayed for the whole weekend and brought a couple of bikes to ride. (Z1 and my RD) First trip down Main Street Saturday morning on my Z1 I broke the clutch cable. It just happened to break at an empty space to park in. When it broke I shut the bike down and backed it in as cool as could be, no one knew I broke the cable so at least I did not have to push 3 blocks to find parking and be embarrassed.

Once the bike was parked I wandered aimlessly cussing my self for being a cheap bastard and not having a spare cable from Z1E, I had a spare voltage regulator but no clutch cable. I also knew there is no way in hell I am gonna find one in stock at the Harley Fest I was at.

Leesburg is 100 miles from my house but I have close ties there because I lived there for 10 year,s 15 years ago if that makes sense.
Anyways I remembered an old neighbor that had so many bikes in his backyard he had to open a shop. Mikes Bike Repair is about 20 mile away from where I was. I called him up and he said he would make me a cable if I could be there before he closes. He used my cable sheath and put a new cable in and custom soldered the correct ends on, Charged me 15 bucks and he saved the weekend. What a weekend saver that was.

I removed and reinstalled the cable with the cases on. Much easier than removing cover, peg and shifter. The asphalt was scorching and everyone was humored by me fixing my bike on Main St.

I also ran into and chatted with Boostable at the Bike Fest.

www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/bike-week...6804769.photogallery

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 May 2012 16:30 by Kawickrice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2012 16:15 #519126 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Broke "Down on main Street"
I am the reason you didnt have to push the bike to some spot......

I ate that karma twice now having had to push a bike just over a mile each time...huffing and sweating in leathers doing so. AND getting a taunt or two..the worse was from this girl, she put her arms out like ape hangers and went vrooom vrooom, and yelled "whats that terrible noise"
"NOT YOU!"...oh the humanity...

cool story! breaking down...always...sucks...

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

More
01 May 2012 16:54 #519141 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Broke "Down on main Street"
No bad Karma no bad Karma no bad Karma!

I am going to the blessing Sunday and haven't had a chance to start mine since my humiliation of not staring after meeting Les

No Bad Karma No Bad Karma No Bad Karma

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
01 May 2012 17:36 #519149 by jdbusch
Replied by jdbusch on topic Broke "Down on main Street"
luckly i always break mine in the driveway..........

I hate my driveway!

Current:
1983 KZ1100-A3 Shafty

Gone:
1979 KZ1000-E Shafty

Email:
jdbusch1978@hotmail.com

More
01 May 2012 17:38 #519150 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Broke "Down on main Street"
Good job on your fix. Just for info most if not all probably already know, there is no need to push a bike for a broken clutch cable. Just put the bike in neutral, paddle or push to a little speed, downshift to first, then shift with no clutch. To stop, just shift down to neutral. I can't tell you how many hundreds of miles I've ridden this way in a pinch over the years. Of course heavy traffic and/or uphill grades at a stoplight suck big time without a clutch.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 May 2012 17:51 #519154 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Broke "Down on main Street"

RonKZ650 wrote: Good job on your fix. Just for info most if not all probably already know, there is no need to push a bike for a broken clutch cable. Just put the bike in neutral, paddle or push to a little speed, downshift to first, then shift with no clutch. To stop, just shift down to neutral. I can't tell you how many hundreds of miles I've ridden this way in a pinch over the years. Of course heavy traffic and/or uphill grades at a stoplight suck big time without a clutch.

Try doing this on Main St. at a Bike Fest on a Saturday afternoon. I would have to wait until midnight when the roads were clear before I could have done it. It was a thought until I got my cable fixed

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL