Ouch! Repair bill is going to be a bit high

More
13 Apr 2012 22:31 #515671 by KZP20Rider
I bought a low mileage P20 and sent it to the local shop for tires, chain, regulator and sprocket change...turns out the left floor board frame is cracked and will need to be rewelded, and the design of the kickstand is to blame, it contacts the frame piece when you use it. Oh...and the brake pads are low, so those also need to be replaced, and of course every part on this bike is special order, so no riding until late next week, if all the parts come in.

Ok, I am done whining...at least when they finish it I will good to go for at least one season, maybe two.

2001 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2012 00:13 #515678 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Ouch! Repair bill is going to be a bit high
You should have picked up a manual and done all the yourself except the welding of course. It's all pretty basic work and getting the parts is no big deal. z1enterprises has everything you need at half of what the shop will charge you.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
14 Apr 2012 07:52 #515713 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Ouch! Repair bill is going to be a bit high
Most of the members here are self taught mechanics. All the knowledge learned is shared.

You are going to have a hefty repair bill. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
14 Apr 2012 10:13 #515728 by KZP20Rider
Replied by KZP20Rider on topic Ouch! Repair bill is going to be a bit high
For what is being done to the bike I wouldn't need a manual, just don't have time for most of it, and I don't know how to balance MC tires without a balancer. The welding I absolutely cannot and would not try to do, probably would end up with a totaled bike due to fire.

The parts prices from the shop are high, but when I checked online to see how much I could save, they were actually less expensive once shipping was added to things like the tires and chain. My local shop, albeit not cheap, does give me huge discounts that make it well worthwhile for me to use them and spend my limited free time riding instead of wrenching...there will be plenty of time for wrenching when the snow flies again. I will have to check out Z1enterprises and see what goodies they have, never know what I might find that I "need".

2001 KZ1000P