Bike wont read on dyno. Why ?

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 Apr 2012 17:02 #513410 by Street Fighter LTD
Bike wont read on dyno. Why ? was created by Street Fighter LTD
Wanted to share a experience from last Fall.
My son attends Washtenaw CC in Michigan by our home and is in the automotive program. Well last Fall the school had a motorcycle dyno shoot out and we entered my 78 Kaw 1000 LTD Turbo . Filled Suzie ( Bikes name ) with race fuel , put in new B9ES plugs, and drove over to the school. Their were about 40 bikes entered in the event and we were number 7 in line.
The Dyno operator rolls the bike in and sets it up and starts making dyno pulls and the dyno scrambles its computer and the roller brake locks up. He tried it a total of 6 times at 2 different times thru out the day and had the same results.
Well my question to all you here is why would that happen to only my bike , and not to the others that day ?
Some of the other bikes were strictly drag bikes , some were stock, and most were modified in some way. Now Im thinking electrical, The bike has a Dyna S ignition with Dyna coils and Accel 7mm solid core wires. But other bikes had the same stuff and the dyno was OK with them.
The dyno operator has over 9000 hours of time operating this machine and couldnt answer me as to why. He said the bike makes incredible power , but couldnt say how much for sure. So being the smart ass I can be I posted on the internet to friends that my Kaw scared the dyno LOL
Anyone ever see this before , or have any opinions on what happened

Thanks in advance Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2012 17:46 #513415 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Bike wont read on dyno. Why ?
Life aint easy for a bike named sue

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
01 Apr 2012 17:53 - 01 Apr 2012 17:55 #513419 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Bike wont read on dyno. Why ?
Suzie is a non compliant bitch, what did u expect, u know the saying, if its got tits or tires , its gonna give u trouble,
that being said, if u increase the size (of either) , u gonna get even more shit :woohoo:
try another dyno, my guess is operator error
Last edit: 01 Apr 2012 17:55 by jonnybravo.

More
04 Apr 2012 01:47 #513933 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Bike wont read on dyno. Why ?
Somewhere between the coils and the plugs you have a gap. It may be a broken wire, or maybe the spark plug boot is holding the terminal a small distance from the plug, or maybe something else causing the gap. It won't affect how the bike runs, but it will create tremendous RFI, obviously, since that was what was screwing up the dyno.

The first radios were nothing but spark generators, and they communicated over long distances :)

KD9JUR

More
04 Apr 2012 02:20 #513942 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Bike wont read on dyno. Why ?
Put in BR9ES plugs and try again.

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Apr 2012 15:06 #514040 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Bike wont read on dyno. Why ?
Thanks All.
Suzie is a sweet girl , she is also a bit hard to handle. But worth it. LOL
I guess before the next dyno shootout I will check connections and put in resistor plugs , then run it next to a AM radio and see what happens

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn