oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..

More
30 Mar 2012 01:03 #512931 by murr50
So tonight I checked my valve clearances, and changed a few shims.. I was feeling pretty accomplished, until I was putting the little cam chain sprocket that fits between the two camshafts back on, and oops..... dropped the allen key right down the hole...

I tried to look down with a flashlight to see if the allen key was there, but no luck. I am really hoping that it fell right down into the oil pan. Luckily I also was going to change the oil and filter tonight, so I drained the oil, and removed the filter. Took off all the bolts to remove the oil pan, and its stuck. Banged on it with a rubber mallet for 30 minutes until I finally gave up. Tomorrow I will try a hammer and a piece of wood.

Anyways, just opening up the thread to anyone else who has had a similar idiot moment that resulted in a huuuuuuge pain

1977 kz650 C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2012 02:16 #512946 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
make sure you got all bolts out easy to miss one

More
30 Mar 2012 11:40 #512981 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
When I had to drop my oil pan on my 750, I spent about a day scrapping off all the bits of gasket that was baked on. That sucked big time. Like, epic suckage.

Then, when I had to drop my 550 pan, I planned ahead and cleared the whole day for the job. The little bugger came all off in one piece :)

More
30 Mar 2012 12:17 #512993 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..

apbling wrote: ...sucked big time. Like, epic suckage....

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 Mar 2012 15:30 #513038 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..

apbling wrote: When I had to drop my oil pan on my 750, I spent about a day scrapping off all the bits of gasket that was baked on. That sucked big time. Like, epic suckage.

Then, when I had to drop my 550 pan, I planned ahead and cleared the whole day for the job. The little bugger came all off in one piece :)

:)

More
01 Apr 2012 18:42 #513425 by murr50
Replied by murr50 on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
so I have tried everything to get this oil pan off... rubber mallet, large hammer and a piece of wood.... I have taken off all 15 bolts and the oil filter... It seems like the P.O. used some sort of adhesive on the thing.

What are the chances of the allen key doing any damage down there? I have seriously tried getting the oil pan off for over 2 hours. If I just leave the allen key in the bottom will it should be heavy enough to stay put, right?

1977 kz650 C

More
01 Jun 2012 17:34 - 01 Jun 2012 17:38 #526306 by richrand
Replied by richrand on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
Top.

While removing my Kz's head, one of the four small plates that are part of the cam tower assembly fell into the case. I removed the oil pan and drained it clean but there's no sign of the missing part. Any idea where this could be hidding? Is there an area under the crank where the cam chain is that it could be sitting in?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2012 17:38 by richrand. Reason: typo

More
01 Jun 2012 18:00 #526309 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
Kid named tommy had a very nice GTO in school. A real one, not some Lemans with junkyard tags.
Ol' Tommy was showing off the rather elaborate 3-2 carb set up he had. Three nice sets of two bore carbs.
ol tommy dropped one of the wing nuts into said two bore (rochesters, I cant remember) and thought, there is no way it can get past anything......so ol tommy fired it up and for some reason jumped the gas....now back in 1976 you could still get real gas, and that real gas mixed with some real air and sucked that wing nut into one of the pistons, blew his engine, we heard it about a block or so away.

I've done many stupid things, but always got lucky fishing them back out. Good luck, we're pulling for ya

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

More
01 Jun 2012 18:05 #526310 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
You have to really hope it landed in the pan and isn't caught up someplace else. Can you get a magnet on a stick and fish around down there?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• DesmoBro
  • User
  • ~Building a Fish~
More
01 Jun 2012 19:42 #526319 by DesmoBro
Replied by DesmoBro on topic oops.. dropped it into the crankcase..
yes a magnet or one of those lil claws on a stick with the button on the end should work...I have one that I hope to never use it cost $1 at a flea market.

Good Luck Def don't drive it like that~!

More
01 Jun 2012 23:17 #526361 by richrand
there seems to be a trough-like area under the crank's cam-chain sprocket. I'll fix up a vacuum hose and suck up all the oil that's in there and see if the piece is there. It's not in the oil pan and it fell through the cam-chain space in the head so it has to be near by.

More
04 Jun 2012 12:43 #526782 by richrand
Found it. duct taped a 1/4 tube to a shop vac and sucked the oil out of the area under the crank/cam sprocket and there it was. I fished it out with a thin piece of wire. *loud sigh of relief*