Canadian East Coast Trip

More
09 May 2012 05:48 - 09 May 2012 05:49 #520925 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
This is getting a little weird... I am planning this trip, but really, it only become a reality if I can get through my thesis work and defence before the end of the summer when I hope to head out on the trip. If I don't finish and graduate by the end of June or so, then it might all come apart.

And yeah, the Schott leather stuff is great. I own a few of their coats/jackets and love them. True, that its not armoured riding gear, but it is at least good rash protection in the event of a slideout.

As to the speed and such, we have markedly lower speed limits in Canada. The highest anywhere between where I live and the East Coast would be about 100 kph, or about 60 mph. Getting anywhere near 70 is very likely to get you a ticket. So, while I will spend some time in the top end of New England area, it should be principally on the two laners, and from my experience travelling in that area of the States for snowboarding etc... most of those limits are somewhere close to 50 mph! At least they are so freaking twisty as to require a reduced speed.

But, as I've been told by a few, and agree with wholeheartedly; its not getting there quickly that matters, it how yo get there, and enjoying the ride. I sincerely doubt you would be taking a 3000 mile trip either if you didn't just love riding!

I may in face end up living in Portland sometime later this year, and if that were the case, would especially love to hear about driving through parts of your planned route, since how better to get my bike across to a new home than to perhaps take the Pirsig Pilgrim route across America?

Cheers,

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)
Last edit: 09 May 2012 05:49 by Jonny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2012 13:46 #540694 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
Just a quick update, and another thanks to the people who've taken and interest in this thread so far....

Summer here in Southern Ontario is ripping along, as anyone in the area will well know, and unfortunately as I work in an industry the schedule of which is dictated pretty much entirely by the weather, we are weeks ahead of schedule and going to be hitting the our peak time of year just about the same time as I was hoping to get away out East. So, the trip has to be off for this summer...

However, there is a flip side, which is that I will have the oppotunity over the winter to work on the bike and make sure everything is in tip top condition for the trip. Nice to have the chance to maybe actually tear into the guts of the motor and check the condition of internal parts before heading off on such a big ride.

Just wanted to say that I've looked into all the offered advice from above, and have taken it all into consideration. Kind of decided on a route heading out through the upper states; upstate New York, Maine, etc... up through New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia (Cabot Trail is certainly on the list!) and possibly up into Newfoundland, tho I think perhaps Labrador will be asking a bit much given the time I'll likely have. Tho even that is up for debate.

I'll post some updates as things go here, although much will likely end up in a tech forum thread on a the rebuild.

So... More to come.

Jonny

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.