Canadian East Coast Trip

More
24 Mar 2012 10:32 #511628 by Jonny
Canadian East Coast Trip was created by Jonny
Hey All,

After a few years of being in one place with school, followed by a year or so of travelling and working abroad, my thoughts have been turning more and more to a long planned, and never executed trip from Ontario out to the East Coast of Canada, to see a part of the country I've never experienced.

That said, I've never taken a trip this long before (3000+kms) solo, and would certainly appreciate advice from anyone who has done some travel in this neck of the woods. Or, even better, fellow KZ'ers who are from anywhere along the way who can suggest preferred routes, must see stuff or just a good place to pull in for a coffee etc...

I know its a bit vague, but I plan to head through the States one way, and return via Quebec on the return route, or vice versa. I will be a few weeks of blue roads, avoiding main highways, and hopefully seeing some really neat stuff. At present the general plan to head out in August, more or less. Time will hopefully not be a big concern, and I should have a few weeks to get out and dawdle around while in the Maritimes. All that said, its going to take alot of prep, both for the bike, and for me. I don't even own panniers yet, and will be basically starting from scratch in terms of motorcycle roadtrips.

I am currently leaning heavily on Zen, for my advice and suggestions as to what I need to bring and what to pack. My general plan is to go super light: enough tools for basic roadside maintenance and, not much more than a sleeping roll, down bag, and a few changes of clothes for myself.

As to the details, I expect this will be an ongoing thread, as I muse over what must get done, and what I need to have, or not. I hope some folks out there may have some insights into what goes into this sort of trip. I am more than happy to wing it, and see what happens as I go, but I also know there is a huge pool of experience out there in the KZ riders forums, and it would be foolish not to tap it as I a begin to plan this adventure.

So, I hope this may spark a little interest out there from anyone who has done something similar. I will post more specific bike and trip related updates as they progress, and as things come to me.

Hope to hear from all you veteran long trippers.

Cheers,

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2012 13:24 #511663 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
Gonna get the boat and come as far as Newfoundland? You should!

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Mar 2012 14:12 #511672 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Canadian East Coast Trip

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
24 Mar 2012 15:57 #511687 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
Its about two 10 hr days driving/riding from where you are to Halifax... another 3 hrs to reach the ferry at North Sydney unless you tour Cape Breton at all, which is really nice... take the ferry to Port aux Basques because its the cheapest way onto Newfoundland, from there its a 8 hr drive to St. John's but you can stop half way at Grand Falls.

More
05 Apr 2012 21:50 - 05 Apr 2012 21:51 #514265 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
All good advice. I took a quick google at some of those destinations and will include them on the to do list. The Cabot trail in particular looks like some great twisty riding, and a good place to check out what the new suspension is like on really good twisties. That said, I will be doing some pretty thorough brushing up on general riding skills before the trip, to make sure everything is working just how I want, and to get used to the different weight load and balance with pannnier bags on the bike, as well as being a slightly heavier passenger when decked with full leathers. etc....

So, the actual map and precise route there and back will need alot more research before actually setting out, but there is a fair lot to get done by way of general maintenance and suchlike before setting out.

I have a general idea of what I think should be done before I go, and wonder if anyone sees any major gaps in the plan. The following is what I propose to do with the bike over the course of the summer, before the trip.

-Starting with the easiest and most obvious. Oil and filter change; I switched over to Rotella full synthetic 10w40 last season, and have been pretty happy with the results so far. It did seem to exacerbate a slight leak I was getting around the valve cover, but a quick double check revealed a loose nut or two, and that was that. No more oily jeans. The plugs, coils, and Dyna are new last season, and were perfectly timed, to I didnt plan on changing anything there either. Fresh battery is a no-brainer, and will either be a start of season change up if the old one is truly pooched, or immediately before the trip in the event the old one is still good enough for getting around town in the meantime.

- New front and back Progressive suspension is in the mail and will include a change of all seals and rubber bits on the forks while they are apart, and being rebuilt.

- New wheel bearing and seals. Possibly steering stem bearings an seals as well. Not 100% sure about the latter, as the bike is in Canada, and I am currently in New Zealand working. They may be in decent shape, but I sort of though if I am going to place a Z1 order, I might just as well include them, considering the cost.

- A whole pile of new rubber odds and ends to replace a lot of the sun baked ones which are probly original. (Ie. brake line holder grommets, boots and bleeder screw covers etc...)

- Very probably new carb holders and vacuum port seals, as the originals are a little crusty, and the PO has fabbed up some strange kinf of vacuum manifold across the vacuum ports, presumably to 'balance' them. This will no doubt require some carb work unless by a miracle the carbs remain balanced after fitting with proper vacuum seals. That said, a Motion pro carb balancer and colortune might have to be brought in at some point. The converse is that the bike runs very well as is, and I have no reason to think I will run into serious problems in that dept. (She was properly winterized and put away last season, and the jetting and adjustments were confirmed to be spot on from the PO's swap out to a 4-1 and pods.)

- Thorough clean up and check out of all electrical bit and charging, but again that was in good shape as of last season, with sufficient charging voltage etc.... HOwever, i do remember that I gained back about 1.2V and got my hazards to work simply by cleaning connections that were a little crudded up. (THANKS Teknine!)

- Other minor details would be more complete riding gear, new helmet, and I have a line on some Schott leather chaps online for a good price. I wasn't planning on having a windscreen for this, but would be willing to listen to others opinions on that especially. My general goal is to stick to 'blue roads' for most of the trip, and as such don't expect to be doing much more than 80-100 km/h for the duration. Which is, in my mind a pretty comfortable speed for extended riding on the 650 given rpm range and fuel consumption. It also has the advantage of leaving me with some range in 4th/5th gear for getting away from people and problems on the road with additional weight on the bike of some panniers and a small backpack. (additional weight not normally on the bike.) This may mean that some of the time estimates for legs of the journey will be a longer than the normal calculations, but then, this isn't a race, and I intend to get there in one piece and without any additional bumps or dings on the bike.

Right, so that is a bit for now, I think. I am beginning to think a lot about the content of the panniers. Less in the way of clothing and basics, which should be easy, as I have a lot of years of travelling/tramping/hitchhiking experience and feel confident about getting around and about with the minimums, but more about what sort of tool and gear goodies would be 'must carries'. I will post again soon on that front, and think that for sure some people our there must have some good stories about riding and widgets that was indispensable along the way....

More to come....

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'

Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 21:51 by Jonny.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
06 Apr 2012 00:05 #514294 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Canadian East Coast Trip

Jonny wrote: Hey All,

After a few years of being in one place with school, followed by a year or so of travelling and working abroad, my thoughts have been turning more and more to a long planned, and never executed trip from Ontario out to the East Coast of Canada, to see a part of the country I've never experienced.

That said, I've never taken a trip this long before (3000+kms) solo, and would certainly appreciate advice from anyone who has done some travel in this neck of the woods. Or, even better, fellow KZ'ers who are from anywhere along the way who can suggest preferred routes, must see stuff or just a good place to pull in for a coffee etc...

I know its a bit vague, but I plan to head through the States one way, and return via Quebec on the return route, or vice versa. I will be a few weeks of blue roads, avoiding main highways, and hopefully seeing some really neat stuff. At present the general plan to head out in August, more or less. Time will hopefully not be a big concern, and I should have a few weeks to get out and dawdle around while in the Maritimes. All that said, its going to take alot of prep, both for the bike, and for me. I don't even own panniers yet, and will be basically starting from scratch in terms of motorcycle roadtrips.

I am currently leaning heavily on Zen, for my advice and suggestions as to what I need to bring and what to pack. My general plan is to go super light: enough tools for basic roadside maintenance and, not much more than a sleeping roll, down bag, and a few changes of clothes for myself.

As to the details, I expect this will be an ongoing thread, as I muse over what must get done, and what I need to have, or not. I hope some folks out there may have some insights into what goes into this sort of trip. I am more than happy to wing it, and see what happens as I go, but I also know there is a huge pool of experience out there in the KZ riders forums, and it would be foolish not to tap it as I a begin to plan this adventure.

So, I hope this may spark a little interest out there from anyone who has done something similar. I will post more specific bike and trip related updates as they progress, and as things come to me.

Hope to hear from all you veteran long trippers.

Cheers,

Jon

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. The planning is a big part of the fun.
I made a 4000 mile (6400 km ?) 7 week trip trip last summer to the southwestern US. You can see some pics and follow a little bit of it here. kzrider.com/forum/17-ride-reports/467890...starting-tomorrow-am There are some pics of the bike there too. I'll do another long one this summer.

I would implore you to get at least a windshield, better yet a fairing for long distance touring. You're going to encounter rain and bugs, the rain feels like needles and the bugs (the big ones) feel like stones at 100 kmh. A fairing also gives you some storage for more stuff like extra glasses, gloves, rain suit, lip balm, bike cover etc. I have a Vetter Windjammer on mine and wouldn't be without it for distance riding.

Join a touring organization. The American Voyager Association is one such. I joined recently and should have years ago. Get some kind of Roadside Rescue service. The ROK, Riders of Kawasaki will provide that for only $30 US per year plus other benefits. Your insurance may provide it also. Check out the websites for memberships to those organizations. You're already hooked up with the best resource on the planet for help with your vintage bike. Go to the Iron Butt Association website for more tips on distance riding.

While your out there riding, drink plenty of fluids. The sun and wind will parch you much more than you realize.

Try to get someone to go along on another bike. It's a lot more fun to share the experience.

Take lots of pictures and post the best ones here.

Take your time and have fun.

I have the brake line/cable grommets and vacuum nipples for your bike. I bought a bunch of each when I overhauled my bike last year and tried to sell the leftovers here in the 'For Sale' section but nobody bought any so I might as well give them away. PM me your street address and I'll get them out to you. They aren't OEM but the rubber is new and the price is right. The vacuum corks are silicone and will last forever. Better than OEM.
Via con dios, Amigo.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
06 Apr 2012 03:05 - 06 Apr 2012 03:22 #514308 by Jonny
Hey Tom,

PM sent...

Good advice, all. I hadn't heard of any of those organizations before, and will look into each. I was afraid that there would be a recommendation to get a windshield or something similar. I admit, I thought it would be a good idea, but hoped that a full face helmet would be sufficient. In the past, I may or may not have said things about how I would never ride with a windscreen etc... it may have been a debate between my dad and I. Words may have been said about such things being for old guys. :whistle: So, I think now I may have to eat a little crow. :blush:

Anyway, I will look into affordable options for a windscreen. A vetter would be nice, but I think this road trip will be a one off for this bike, and probly wont see further use. I didn't buy the 650 with the intention of doing any long hauls on it. The original plan was to find a ZRX for distance travelling, but the opportunity to work abroad for a year came up, and it was travel or buy a new bike. Travel won out. Thankfully, i think the 650 is up to the task for a medium length trip like this. Probly still be on the lookout for a new full face helmet, but I needed one of those anyway. (Any thoughts on chaps, jokes aside? never worn 'em before but they seem like a much better and more affordable option than full leather pants.)

Also, you are very right about the planning being half the fun. I am loving looking up stuff about both the trip itself and looking forward to having a reason to do alot of the minor work on the bike I've been putting off for too long. Things that I'm not too concerned about when I seldom ride more than an hour away from home become a whole lot more important when I will be a thousand kms from my toolchest!

Lots of time to work at it, but lots to do and plan as well. I am excited for it, even here working in NZ.

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'

Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 03:22 by Jonny.

More
06 May 2012 12:30 - 06 May 2012 12:33 #520178 by sft1662
Replied by sft1662 on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
Hey Jonny,

Found your thread about your trip. If you have the funds you might want to get a new chain/sprockets and go up a tooth on the front for easier highway cruising. Lower the RPM a bit. Its something I was hoping to do for my trip but I wont be able to come up with the extra cash in time. I didnt see if you have checked your valve clearances either, if not, you'll want to do it. Also keep the cam chain adjusted. I'll be watching this thread.

Oh, and I'd favor pants over chaps. I've seen video of chaps getting caught in the chain and the resulting crash. Also they dont cover your a$$ which is almost certain to hit in a getoff. I have a pair of these www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leathe...ts/shift_havoc+pants that are a leather/textile combo with knee armor that I'm happy with so far. They breathe decently in the crotch which is a good thing. Just my opinion but I think even textile pants are better than chaps...

1978 KZ650 B2A
Last edit: 06 May 2012 12:33 by sft1662.

More
07 May 2012 04:13 #520428 by Jonny
Thanks sft,

All good advice, and I will look into all of it. Although I had already found a pair of chaps on Ebay from Schott NYC and picked them up for about a third of retail price. I will see how they go, but I don't like them, I'll check out those composites. I think tho, they are a fairly snug fit, nothing that should be able to catch in the chain, and none of that goofy tassled crap. In my experience Schott makes some pretty serious and well though out leather products.

As to the rest a chain and sprocket will, like you, depend on time and cash. I am unemployed as of friday, and currently on the south island on New Zealand. Home and my bike are a fair ways away! I would like to bring down the RPMs a little on a ride this long, but new performance valve springs and a top end rebuild are in the works for post trip, so it may be on that gets left a little. Like you I am principally concerned with mechanical reliability for the trip. My comfort and speed come second to that. =)

Valve clearance were checked, but not since the end of 2010? I think its time to have a look again, and make sure I'm still within specs.

More to come pretty soon. Glad to hear somebody else may be able to use some of the information being gathered here.

Cheers!

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
07 May 2012 10:48 #520460 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
Make sure you have a new clutch cable before the trip. I broke mine a few weeks ago a hundred miles from home.

You might think about adding this to your backpack/ sabblebags. It has a garage for your bike to keep it safe while you are sleeping next door

bikertent.com/

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
07 May 2012 11:39 #520473 by sft1662
Replied by sft1662 on topic Canadian East Coast Trip
Jonny.

No worries about the chaps man, just one man's opinion, that company looks like they make some pretty solid stuff too. You're taking your 650 right? Where are you getting your pistons/rings to rebuild the top end when you get back?

I hear you about the budget thing. I'm in grad school right now and this will be the first 2 weeks I've had off in over 2 years. I'm saving my last shillings for a new helmet for the trip, mine is a cheap AFX and its loud and the visor doesn't seal. You'll be fine with stock gear ratio, especially if you avoid cruising the interstate at 75-80, which I, like you probably, am going to avoid for 99% of the journey. If I had the money though I'd gear it to lower the cruising rpm though.

I'm psyched that there is someone else going through the excitement of planning a trip on a KZ. :woohoo:

1978 KZ650 B2A

More
09 May 2012 05:38 - 09 May 2012 05:39 #520924 by Jonny

Kawickrice wrote:
You might think about adding this to your backpack/ sabblebags. It has a garage for your bike to keep it safe while you are sleeping next door

bikertent.com/

I agree with the cables thing, and will install (2!) new throttle cables before heading out. The clutch cable is new last year, but it will certainly be part of my check list before departing.

As to the tent.... Urm... :blink: I think, or perhaps hope its a joke? Admittedly Kawakrice, your bikes are alot nicer than mine from everything I've seen in the forums, but... uh. Well, I'm shocked such a thing exists. I'll leave it at that. :huh:

Jonny

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'

Last edit: 09 May 2012 05:39 by Jonny. Reason: poor typing skills...