Check your insurance policy!

• tybolt99
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
05 Mar 2012 00:46 #507845 by tybolt99
Check your insurance policy! was created by tybolt99
My friend's shop burned down last week. It happened after midnight on last Tuesday. The shop was 150' or so away from their house. By the time they found it was too far gone. By the time Fire department put it out, everything in there was burnt.

Insurance company will come on Tuesday to make inventory and start claim process. What he told me was that any vehicle will be cover by vehicle insurance except your own. His son had parked 67 Chevy he just bought. It will not be covered by home owner's and since it is not registered vehicle, his son didn't have insurance on it. So it is gone. But except any parts those were off from the vehicle and in the shop. He had stripped interior trims and AC vents and had them in the shop. So they will be covered. But seats were off from vehicle and sitting outside of building so they were not covered (of course no damage by the fire). If he had the seats set in the shop but not in the vehicle, it was covered.

He had someone's Norton commando he was working on and about finished. That is gone and insurance will not cover it. His own R69/S will be covered by his vehicle insurance he had on but also home owner should cover it too.
Many things like old publications he had in there were gone and cannot be replaced.

He told me "what could happen to me could also happen to you. Check your insurance."

I will talk to insurance guy and find out what will be covered and what will not be covered. So I can put some kind of protection on those currently not covered hopefully.

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tybolt99
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
05 Mar 2012 00:50 #507846 by tybolt99
Replied by tybolt99 on topic Check your insurance policy!
Norton Commando

R69/S

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2012 01:11 #507848 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Check your insurance policy!
Did they ever figure out what started the fire? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• tybolt99
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
05 Mar 2012 01:31 #507850 by tybolt99
Nope.
The fire department didn't. The insurance guys will check when they come on Tuesday.

His waste oil heater was off that day. He left the shop around 5:30 pm and his son left around 10pm. Everything was normal as any other day. Could be electric? we'll see.

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

More
05 Mar 2012 01:43 #507852 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Check your insurance policy!

650ed wrote: Did they ever figure out what started the fire? Ed

Perhaps it was a Ford parked nearby, we all know how they like to self-ignite and burn themselfs to the ground. :laugh: But really sorry to hear about your buddys shop, really sucks. Knowing the insurance they won't cover any tools lost in the fire too. :sick: I'm a technition at a local GM dealer and fear every day that I will go in to work and find all the tools gone and no way to replace them. Makes me sick how much they want for insurance for me on my tools at someone elses shop. Darn criminals don't really know it don't hurt the dealer or insurance it hurts the tech couse He has to replace them all not the company or insurance.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
05 Mar 2012 04:25 #507860 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Check your insurance policy!
My home burnt down several years ago. Fortunately I had replacement cost insurance that covered everything, except my Yamaha XS750 triple. Some things just can't be replaced at any cost though.

KD9JUR

• tybolt99
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
05 Mar 2012 09:42 #507886 by tybolt99

elfmagic17 wrote:

650ed wrote: Did they ever figure out what started the fire? Ed

Perhaps it was a Ford parked nearby, we all know how they like to self-ignite and burn themselfs to the ground. :laugh: But really sorry to hear about your buddys shop, really sucks. Knowing the insurance they won't cover any tools lost in the fire too. :sick: I'm a technition at a local GM dealer and fear every day that I will go in to work and find all the tools gone and no way to replace them. Makes me sick how much they want for insurance for me on my tools at someone elses shop. Darn criminals don't really know it don't hurt the dealer or insurance it hurts the tech couse He has to replace them all not the company or insurance.

I didn't think about that. I guess it is the same deal. The dealer's insurance covers their own things but not yours. That sucks.

Steell, sorry to hear about your house.
He had books his sons gave him on his birthday when they were little with their name hand written on the back of front cover, some measuring tools from the old time in the case etc that cannot be replaced.

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

More
05 Mar 2012 13:15 #507923 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Check your insurance policy!
I hate insurance companies. The first thing they do is try to avoid paying. I lived on a boat for 12 years while restoring it. I was hit by another boater doing about 20 MPH around 1:00 in the morning while I was docked in my slip asleep, my boat sank within 15 minutes. The other boater kept going and was never caught. My insurance company, Allstate refused to pay because the other boater caused the accident. I had been paying premiums on a $45,000 hull policy for 12 years and I had to sue Allstate to get paid. After all was said and done I ended up with only $7,500. Have I said I HATE insurance companies.

More
06 Mar 2012 02:05 #508056 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Check your insurance policy!
"Your in good hands with Allstate" Fine print...unless you hit someone or they hit you then your on your own. Oh and your rates will go up also.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
06 Mar 2012 02:23 #508058 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Check your insurance policy!
I had collectors insurance on my 66 Chevelle the policy said it would cover it upto 35000.00 due to loss not covered by homeowners or another policy including 1500.00 in addition spare parts blah blah. I never had to use it but it was rediculously cheap since it was driven less than 7500 miles a year.

I woner if there is anything like that for these old bikes?

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...