Why?

More
10 Jan 2012 10:22 #497388 by faffi
Why? was created by faffi
This may be a bit like swearing in church, but why do so many of us tinker with our bikes? It rarely makes sense from a logical point of view.

For instance, if you're not happy with the handling of your bike, it is far more sensible to buy a better bike than to try and fix your current machine more often than not. Same with engine power; unless you already have the strongest bike readily available from your friendly dealer, tuning generally cost more than buying something more powerfull.

So in most cases, logic doesn't apply to tinkering. Unless you have very clear reasons to modify your bike that cannot be fixed with buying something more suitable, of course. You could be racing or you could have found the bike you want to grow old with, but you want to make it closer to perfect for your needs and wants.

For the majority of us, however, it is likely that we tinker simply because we enjoy it. We enjoy creating things, improving things, changing things. Not because it's sensible, but because it makes us feel good.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me B)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2012 11:14 #497391 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic Why?
I think there's a lot of reasons why we would rather improve our KZ's than buy a newer/better/faster bike. For me, the reasons are:

-older bikes are stronger and better quality than today's bikes
-they are unique
-older bikes are easier to understand (more mechanical than computer controlled)
-I prefer classic styling
-If you buy a new bike, you are forced to choose from two extremes, either a cruiser or a crotch rocket. There are absolutely no new bikes currently available that interest me.
-KZ's have that "X-factor" that most other bikes dont
-I should have been born 30 years sooner

1979 KZ650B3

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
10 Jan 2012 11:26 #497394 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic Why?
For me it has more to do with nostalgia realy. These old UJM's are what I grew up around, my father had a ton of bikes right from the time I was born. So its these 70's/80's bikes that draw my attention.

Plus I find it relaxing to tinker on these old bikes. Ya I have as much in my old bikes as one new one...but I have the choice of 4 bikes to ride...not just ONE. Oh and no payments either lol.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

More
10 Jan 2012 11:37 #497397 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic Why?
is that your GPZ in the picture? I'm lovin it.

1979 KZ650B3

More
10 Jan 2012 12:47 #497399 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Why?
I don't tinker. I like factory stock. A couple of mine have the Kerker header ect, both bought that way. I'm just amazed what guys do to their bikes. I actually like the new motorcycles and have a GL1800 Goldwing and a Yamaha Super Tenere that are both bone stock and work fantastic. I could add a FJR1300 and a Kawasaki ZX14R and possibly a new Vmax if I had room, money and the wife would not shoot me. :) I look at the forums for any of these bikes and for all intents and purposes they are all ruined by tinkering whithin the first week or two and have no further value to me, so new is the only option for me.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 Jan 2012 13:25 #497402 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Why?
If I had a GL1800 Goldwing and a Yamaha Super Tenere I wouldn't mess with them either, but I would still have an old KZ to mess with cause they're relatively cheap and parts are readily available, and I have to have something to do that I enjoy. I seldomly drink, I don't have a tv, rarely listen to the radio, so fooling around with old KZ's keeps me as sane as I'm going to get.

KD9JUR

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
10 Jan 2012 13:47 - 10 Jan 2012 13:48 #497404 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic Why?

cobura wrote: is that your GPZ in the picture? I'm lovin it.

Yep thats a pic of my 84 ZX750E1 ( 750 Turbo ) and my 1985 GPz900R. Neither are stock lol. Actualy I dont own a bike thats stock, and I cant remember owning a stock bike EVER.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN
Last edit: 10 Jan 2012 13:48 by M357.5.

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
10 Jan 2012 14:24 #497406 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Why?
Labor of love!!!!! :woohoo:

It is better to have the last generation of something tried and true, than a new pile of problems.

I hate all the computer controled $hit and wouldnt have it any other way. I dont need a zx14 or zx10r to feel good the freedom of having somethin not everyone has or has the patience to make run down the road.

The cheep thing helps !!!!

I love to tinker and the results are all my doing even the things I muf up lol

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
10 Jan 2012 16:51 - 10 Jan 2012 16:57 #497425 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Why?

cobura wrote: I think there's a lot of reasons why we would rather improve our KZ's than buy a newer/better/faster bike. For me, the reasons are:

-older bikes are stronger and better quality than today's bikes
-they are unique
-older bikes are easier to understand (more mechanical than computer controlled)
-I prefer classic styling
-If you buy a new bike, you are forced to choose from two extremes, either a cruiser or a crotch rocket. There are absolutely no new bikes currently available that interest me.
-KZ's have that "X-factor" that most other bikes dont

Actually, new bikes are generally better made with higher quality materials. Exhaust systems of the old Z1 could fall apart in a couple of years if ridden in poor climate, whereas modern exhaust systems last for decades more often than not - just one tiny example.

And there are plenty to choose from besides cruiser and race reps, but I agree that there are very little of genuine interest.

Other than that, I fully agree. I dislike fuel injection, digital readouts, ABS, electronic keys and whatnot.

But my original statement still stands, I feel. Let's say you find your KZ650 lacking in power or handling. Instead of fitting a 750 engine and upgrading frame, swingarm, wheels and brakes etc. one could simply buy a Zephyr 750. Or if your KZ1000 is lacking, you could purchase an XJR1300 and have similar simple and reliable technology, just functionally way better.

Still, there is fun to be had from building something unique :)

cobura wrote: -I should have been born 30 years sooner

Me too! I prefer to fix things instead of buying new - only most stuff today ain't made to be fixed.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition
Last edit: 10 Jan 2012 16:57 by faffi.

More
10 Jan 2012 22:14 - 10 Jan 2012 22:30 #497468 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Why?
All good reasons and observations as to why we do what we do...

For me its therapy and I thoroughly enjoy it... resurrection, modification or originality are all great things.. A few years back on our 10th wedding anniversary my wife counted up how many vehicles I had owned since we been married. At that time the number was 28.. and it has only increased since then. I like to fix up sell, fix up drive, what ever. I told her it was my goal to own and drive one off everything in my life time.. lol

Kaw's are where it all started for me and it was only a natural process that I would come back to them. Although this time around I don't think I will be selling them... key word being "think"

BTW, my last bike was a ZX14R (modified) and sick fast.. loved it, but the KZ just does it for me!!

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider
Last edit: 10 Jan 2012 22:30 by Boostable.

More
10 Jan 2012 22:21 #497469 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Why?
There is only one bike that I can think of that was built post 1984 that holds any interest for me and that is the ZRex. Probably because it is so close to the look of the early 80s GPZ. Other than that there isn't a modern bike I would give my KZ up for!

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
11 Jan 2012 00:10 #497481 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Why?
It's a labor of love.
It puts a smile on my face when I ride it.
That alone makes it worth it.
:)