Vulcan Drifter

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
20 Dec 2011 20:40 #494030 by clutch
Vulcan Drifter was created by clutch
I came across a pic of one of these on an ebay search recently, and just can't get it out of my head. I want one! Anyone have/had one of these or know anything about them?

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2011 21:10 #494036 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Vulcan Drifter
Here's a review:

www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/review9_00.htm

Just don't install straight pipes or folks will mistake the bike for a piece of farm equipment - listen to this one idling with straight pipes - eeek.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Dec 2011 21:11 #494037 by mumbles
Replied by mumbles on topic Vulcan Drifter
Don't know much about the Drifter but the Vulcan 800 motor is pretty torquey and bulletproof like a Kaw should be. Just open up the air intake on the single carb and not only will she keep up with just about any criuser but will out run some twice her size.
Owners are proud of them and don't want to let them go for little money.

2001 KZ1000 Police
1998 Vulcan 800

Houston, Tx

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Dec 2011 00:17 #494058 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Vulcan Drifter

650ed wrote: Here's a review:

www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/review9_00.htm

Just don't install straight pipes or folks will mistake the bike for a piece of farm equipment - listen to this one idling with straight pipes - eeek.

Good article. Thanks for posting that. Now I just need to find one of these bad boys locally, in decent shape, and cheap (I know I'm dreaming LOL).

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2011 00:37 #494064 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Vulcan Drifter
Have to say, if I ever bought a cruiser (not f'n likely) that would probably be a style I could dig.

More
21 Dec 2011 10:32 #494110 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Vulcan Drifter

DoubleDub wrote: Have to say, if I ever bought a cruiser (not f'n likely) that would probably be a style I could dig.

+1 on what DoubleDub said. Yeah, cruisers are not my first choice. But this one is cool. To me, this doesn't even look like a cruiser type. Its more like the 40's Indian, Harley classic vintage look. Very cool!

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
21 Dec 2011 11:15 #494116 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Vulcan Drifter
Comfortable ride. Nice power. Not a screamer but smooth and torky. Kind of Caddy like. Friend has one but my only problem is people that stick on Indian lights and labels. It's not an Indian. He had an aftermarket exhaust and it sounds good. Not as bulky as the original but is tuned. Love the styling but keep it a Drifter. You either love it or hate it. Go fast boys need not apply. It is a cruiser. Oh yeah the original seat is BUTT FUGLY! It's also comfortable but so is the solo. Workmanship is pretty good with attention to details. Welds look good. If I was in the market for a big cruiser it would be on the list. Or a little more sporty and go for the Mean Streak. Starting to be some good deals on them.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Dec 2011 02:09 #494271 by clutch
I'm a sucker for that vintage look. At first glance, I though I was looking at something that outdated Kawasaki's venture into making motorcycles. While I love the look, I also have to have my modern technologies on it, so it's a win-win being a newer bike. I've been looking for something just like that and I think I would trade my kz, my A1, and my truck to have one of my own...ok...nevermind...I need the truck for crappy weather...I don't like to get wet...lol

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Dec 2011 03:02 #494274 by clutch

Proxy wrote: but my only problem is people that stick on Indian lights and labels. It's not an Indian.

Did a little searching on eBay and I see what you mean. I saw one that had a HUGE Indian sticker on the side of the gas tank...I wouldn't pay what they wanted for it because I would most likely have to repaint it after removing that fugly thing off the tank. I love Kawasakis....if I want an indian, I will get one...not a kawasaki with indian stickers. lol

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...