New to the Forum Building a 1977 KZ-1000 LTD Turbo

• WaterKaw1102
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Until I see i with my own eyes then I will believe
More
18 Dec 2011 23:05 #493713 by WaterKaw1102
Was told by a friend about this site and thought I'd join in to see if I could learn and find the best way to do and to find parts for my Kawasaki bikes. Love the old style bikes, my dad had several as I was growing up and I guess it just stuck. So here what I've got and what I'm building. I've seen several in the gallery for some great ideas. That's what changed my mind on going this way........B)

I wanted to find out where are the honey holes of old Kaw parts? Just hate using eBay and have a hard time on craigslist. But I did have a very bright spot this past week. Founded a great guy on craigslist in Southern Indiana. Must be one of the only honest ones I've found. Talked to him several time and found that it was what I was looking for. Drove three hours to get a new Kaw motor for my project. Got a lot of extra parts from Dave. He just kept putting parts in the back of my truck. Motor Forks Seat and a great looking tank and a bunch of hard to find small parts. WOW!

Lost my engine on my '77 to bad cam sprockets and bent all the valves in the head. Cost to much to get the head repair so I went looking for a new engine. Came across the engine on craigslist. Got it home and started checking it out. It has more than what I think I need for the street but not going to change it. Has had a nice port job for the head to follow with the turbo. Will be using it with a old style Mr. Turbo system i picked up about 8 months ago. Nice clearance work for the cams. Heavy duty case studs and heavy duty lower end bolts. The crank is a Falicon not sure on what it is but was told it is an expensive crank. Wonder how it will work on the street? Lower end has a deep sump oil pan and a windage tray. Guess that's a good thing for the oiling system on a turbo. Dave had a bunch of great parts and tips on his other turbo systems that he pour on me. Can't wait to work on some to get my turbo going. I'm going from a 1045cc street kit to this and I'm assuming it going to be a learning curve. If anybody has any suggestions out there send them along. the turbo kit is a RC Engineering 1102cc with new jugs. Mic it all out to very tight spec and all is looking very good. Looks like a lot of $$$$ were spent on this engine. Transmission has been undercut, will this also hurt in street use? The engine has been soda blasted and is great great looking. Wonder if it should be left unpainted? Any thought out there either way?

Chassis is being also modified with a complete extended Kosman rearend. Have to run a 5/8" OB carrier for the 7 1/2" rear wire wheel. Running skinny on the front and big on the back. Thinking on tricking out the suspension with a air assisted lowering system to keep it low. Don't have to worry about and header clearance issues so lower the better.

Look forward to dropping some pic on the build as I get into it. Right now just putting things on the wish list to go find and work out.

Want to send a big "Thanks" to Dave Beck for his help and finally getting together with his great engine.

1978 KZ 1000 LTD
1977 KZ 1000 LTD (project with new 1102cc Turbo)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Dec 2011 23:28 #493717 by wireman
What cams are in the motor?
turbo motors are a totally differant beast than amotor with carbs,turbos tend to prefer smaller cams and smaller ports than a carb fed motor.
That little 1045 motor with the right set of cams and a good mikuni carb somewhere in the 38-42mm range should have no problem putting many carbed bikes in the 1197 range back on the trailer at the track once you sort your chassis out B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
19 Dec 2011 00:45 - 19 Dec 2011 00:45 #493732 by Patton

WaterKaw1102 wrote: ...where are the honey holes of old Kaw parts?....

Take a look at Z1 Enterprises. B)
Click > www.z1enterprises.com/

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Dec 2011 00:45 by Patton.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
19 Dec 2011 00:53 #493735 by wireman

Patton wrote:

In a nondescript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of omaha! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
19 Dec 2011 01:03 #493738 by andy9802gt

wireman wrote:

Patton wrote:

In a nondescript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of omaha! :woohoo:

That was shameless. :P

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
19 Dec 2011 10:40 #493770 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic New to the Forum Building a 1977 KZ-1000 LTD Turbo
Did you buy that 8 to 1 turbo engine in Evansville? That was a good buy if you did. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• WaterKaw1102
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2011 20:11 #493838 by WaterKaw1102
Replied by WaterKaw1102 on topic New to the Forum Building a 1977 KZ-1000 LTD Turbo
Yes it was that motor. Had a lot of great parts in it and looked amazing. Wish I had more cash on me at the time I'd a bought more stuff that he was selling. He was a super guy to deal with. He has several bikes and a bunch of parts that he's selling. Several things for drag racing that I really didn't need though.

Very happy with the engine can't wait to bust it in high gear after the Hoildays to get going on it.....Merry Christmas to me........................ :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1978 KZ 1000 LTD

• WaterKaw1102
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2011 20:40 #493845 by WaterKaw1102
Replied by WaterKaw1102 on topic New to the Forum Building a 1977 KZ-1000 LTD Turbo
They are a grind for a turbo with not a monster bunch of lift but more duration. They were a set turbo cams made by Megacycle.

1978 KZ 1000 LTD

More
19 Dec 2011 21:37 #493857 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic New to the Forum Building a 1977 KZ-1000 LTD Turbo
my understanding thae motor you bought was ready to go. I think the dude lived near princeton he posted some pic's of a motor that belonged to one of the members here is my understanding. I tried to get ahold of him a couple times and didn't get a response

I would be interested in seeing the actual motor because the one he posted on craigs list wasn't the actual motor.

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
19 Dec 2011 22:10 #493859 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic New to the Forum Building a 1977 KZ-1000 LTD Turbo
It was on eBay also. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• WaterKaw1102
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Dec 2011 01:21 #494263 by WaterKaw1102
Not sure what your talking about the picture I saw was the engine I picked up from craigslist. He lives near Evansville, IN. Not sure where Princeton is, I guess it's close to there. I talked to him several times through craigslist. He did mention that he has several thing up on eBay too. A friend of mine found it on craigslist and called me to take a look at it. He was a real nice guy to deal with. Ended up with several other parts that I needed too. He threw them in for nothing.

Yes he told me the engine was ready to go. And after looking it over once I got it home it has a lot more stuff in it that he never had on the listing. Sorry, I can't post any pic right now, don't have a good camera and really don't know how yet. As this project goes I'll try to see if one of the guys has a good enough camera so I can show the progress of this thing.

He does have one of his bike in the gallery here, I think so. A bright red '78 KZ1000 LTD. Saw it when I was over pick up my engine. I tried to buy it off of him after seeing it. A lot of chrome and a fire engine red paint but he said he would probably be buried with them. lol.

1978 KZ 1000 LTD

• WaterKaw1102
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Dec 2011 01:24 #494264 by WaterKaw1102
That's the one and yep it was a great deal with everything he threw in on top of that. :woohoo:

1978 KZ 1000 LTD