The never-ending search for NOS (MKII this time)

More
12 Oct 2011 17:22 - 13 Oct 2011 03:15 #482791 by 300kph
My Z1R project while nearly done came to a satisfying end with me finding a true Holy Grail part in a genuine Kawasaki NOS seat.

For years I've been buying up stuff for that project and now that it's nearly done I have taken on another project in my recently-acquired MKII... It's quite clean but I would like to replace the aftermarket pipes that are on the bike (sort of a Dunstall style) with genuine Kawasaki mufflers. They looked very beefy and always liked them. I know, everyone say go with a header... I'm a fundamentalist and want the stock pipes.

A week on the phone and I found 1 Right hand muffler & header brand new in the bag from a dealer so far off the grid I don't think he had Internet.

There lies the rub. One muffler is just that... ONE.

I would be happier finding a clean set of "take-offs"... Soooo many guys put headers on those bikes almost immediately after purchase. There HAS to be a nice set waiting for a home.

My middle header pipes are close to perfect so NOS mufflers (which include the outer header) would look fine on my bike. But... what are my chances of ever finding the Left hand in NOS???

Here's my situation... Being here in Canada there are never any decent swap meets to attend and so few guys restore Japanese here.

I am also quickly learning that parts for the MKII are more scarce than Z1R parts...

HELP! Can anyone assist me in finding a set of pipes? Anyone know of / seen any?

In my quest for parts another member told me he recently saw a clean blue MKII gas tank at a swap meet.

I would also like a set of blue tin or a set I can paint and leave my reds unmolested.

eBay is a wasteland with only the most meager offerings of MKII parts. the odd crappy side cover or tail piece... Nothing else in months of looking.

Who's got the parts I need? NOS is pretty much out of the question for all but the most basic stuff.

I am not cheap and will pay a good buck.

Help!

Wayne

1978 KZ1000 D1 (Z1R)
1979 KZ1000 A3 (MKII)
1979 Honda CBX (Candy Glory Red)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Silver)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Red)
1978 Yamaha XS1100
1982 Suzuki GSX1100S (Katana)
1984 Kawasaki KZ1100R (Silver)
2004 Honda Rune (Bloodstone Red)
Last edit: 13 Oct 2011 03:15 by 300kph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2011 22:45 #482833 by Tony
I think MKII owners are parts hoarders. When I bought mine it came with an extra red set. :) Not for sale though. Good luck with your search.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300kph

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Oct 2011 23:10 #482840 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic The never-ending search for NOS (MKII this time)
stuff turns up ..what :blink: you had the bike a week :whistle: and you got parts and more leads.....sounds like fast track to me....i waited 25 yrs to build these bikes ...if it takes 6 months or two years to find some parts...well that is just a tick of the clock....i been building these bikes in my mind like counting sheep at night....for 25 years....

i too had a small pile of things to use on my MKII...i had them and was wondering what to do about the stuff,,,disk tarozi not applicable to the 900 ,,,ect,,,,,then the MKII showed up and mnany parts found a home

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300kph

More
09 Nov 2011 19:08 #487803 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic The never-ending search for NOS (MKII this time)

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000