How Motorcycles Bring People Together

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Sep 2011 16:12 #473836 by Topper
A great story about how motorcycles bring people together.

I've been expecting a luggage rack for my KZ750 that was supposed to be delivered about 10 days ago. I was starting to think it was lost. Today, the postman came up to the house which they never do out here (we're pretty rural). He had a big box for me, which sure enough turned out to be the rack I've been waiting for. It needs a little TLC, but it's just what I was expecting.

The postman told me he'd noticed I'd picked up a vintage Japanse bike, but I wasn't sure how he knew. My house (and bikes) are about a mile from the mailbox. We chatted about bikes for a few minutes. He started out on a little 70's era CB350 has since switched to Harleys and now misses his old Honda (I mean duh!). We agreed to go ride together sometime and eventually it came out how he'd figured out I started riding. Turns out when he's got down time in the mail car, he reads my vintage Japanese motorcycling magazines!

I think he spent too much time reading my magaizines and not enough time bringing me the luggage rack!

I've never had any reason to talk to my postman in the 11 years I've lived in this house. The mailboxes are so far away I never see him. I put a "tip" and a card in at the Holidays but that's about it. He just delivers the mail and usually leaves packages down by the mailboxes. He could have left this one too. I think he's been looking for an excuse to come up here and finally found one.

Anything like this ever happen to you?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2011 17:12 #473860 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
We have a lady Post master and she has handled hundreds of packages for me. She called one day and wanted me to check out a bike for her. She wanted to start riding. She didn't buy that one but she bought another.

I service it and check it out for her. I under charge and she over pays. ;)

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Sep 2011 17:46 #473864 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
I wonder just how much our postmasters know about us.

Once I called the local auto parts store looking for spark plugs. I gave the guy on the phone the NGK # and he said "What's this for?" I started to explain that I was sure those were the right plugs and he didn't need to look it up. "No, no, no" he says, "I've got an old motorcycle and those sound like the plugs for a... What do you ride?"

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Sep 2011 18:06 #473868 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
i used to have a lot of those same conversations with cops as they were writing me tickets! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Sep 2011 18:32 #473878 by peter1958

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Sep 2011 18:34 #473879 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
Thats a patton origional! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Sep 2011 19:15 #473884 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
postman tells me to sprinkle some water on the boxes and wala motorcycle in a box

or he says he moved my bolts around on my work bench

he a good old boy tho.

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Sep 2011 20:30 #473899 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
my gal is in school and the other day a girl said nice sweatshirt about her laguna seca hoody...under it she had a GP t which the girl saw,and after class came up and asked her if she likes bikes,so they talked about their guys and the bikes and motogp...it turns out her mans family ,one of them is a crew member for the Factory Ducacti team and she gets to get fun passes but that is about it.....so amy told her how we lucked out and Rossi signed Amy's hat this year....now they have stuff to talk about,,,,,,,another girl joined in in broken english and turns out she has been to the malaysian GP and knows the riders like we know baseball stars...

that is three women out of one RN class...not bad girls...oh and dont worry i will be there for open house..to see these biker fan girls...my duty and all :)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
03 Sep 2011 12:06 #474012 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
The Doctor didn't fair so well at the Indy MotoGP, a lot had trouble with turn 5 but he just didn't seem as aggressive as usual. All 3 races were sort of blow outs, only 2nd & 3rd were competitive. Loved the smell of those 125's, too bad they are going away.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Sep 2011 18:19 #474067 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together
yeah for sure...we were just standing there cause everyone was grouped by the fences after practice and he walked by....but for sure watching him run 14 th ....it is like watching the other doctor in his last years...dr j.....or jordan..they would play but in a support role /coach/player....but those two still could pull a rabbit outta their hats once in a while even old dogs get their day...rossi may be done unless he could get on a honda very soon..or ducati might have one up their sleeve ...they did it before and everyone else had the slow bike for 3 yrs....we dont get the 125's or the motoII so you guys are lucky...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
03 Sep 2011 19:07 #474075 by cavanaughracing
Replied by cavanaughracing on topic How Motorcycles Bring People Together

Topper wrote: A great story about how motorcycles bring people together.

I've been expecting a luggage rack for my KZ750 that was supposed to be delivered about 10 days ago. I was starting to think it was lost. Today, the postman came up to the house which they never do out here (we're pretty rural). He had a big box for me, which sure enough turned out to be the rack I've been waiting for. It needs a little TLC, but it's just what I was expecting.

The postman told me he'd noticed I'd picked up a vintage Japanse bike, but I wasn't sure how he knew. My house (and bikes) are about a mile from the mailbox. We chatted about bikes for a few minutes. He started out on a little 70's era CB350 has since switched to Harleys and now misses his old Honda (I mean duh!). We agreed to go ride together sometime and eventually it came out how he'd figured out I started riding. Turns out when he's got down time in the mail car, he reads my vintage Japanese motorcycling magazines!

I think he spent too much time reading my magaizines and not enough time bringing me the luggage rack!

I've never had any reason to talk to my postman in the 11 years I've lived in this house. The mailboxes are so far away I never see him. I put a "tip" and a card in at the Holidays but that's about it. He just delivers the mail and usually leaves packages down by the mailboxes. He could have left this one too. I think he's been looking for an excuse to come up here and finally found one.

Anything like this ever happen to you?

Well...if your next Playboy issue arrives with sticky pages...you'll know who to blame :woohoo: