Value of my bike? (hope this is the right section)

More
09 Aug 2011 13:00 #468007 by Dresgeve
Alright guys, I've made a decision: I can't afford to keep my '82 KZ550 LTD right now. It was my first bike and I'll miss it, but being in college and having no job at the moment really makes it difficult to both find and afford the parts to fix it up properly. I'd like to sell it and swap out for something a little more common that I can commute on for a while (probably just a Ninja 250 or something. I don't race or anything, just commute, so it's all I really need).

But I need some help valuing it. I know it changes based on the local market and such, but still, could use help getting a base line :) It's a 1982 KZ550 C3 LTD coming up on 18000 miles. I used it to commute for a while and I've been riding it on the nicer days this summer, so it runs fine. It does have trouble warming up, as the carbs could use rebuilt (mostly it's just the little flaps on the choke missing. Missing one or two maybe.). Tank needs repainted (no damage, just old with small bits of surface rust showing up), exhaust pipes need a decent amount of polishing, and the bike needs some degreaser and polishing overall, and it could definitely use a valve cover gasket (local store wants $70 for one... so I've been using gasket maker for the time being. Looks ugly, but it functions :P ). The seat is in excellent condition and all the electricals work, save the auto blinkers (worked off and on, but I recently removed the control unit for it just to save the time while I've been working on it). Clutch cable was replaced early this year.

If there's any more info you guys would like, let me know! I'll attach a picture, so hopefully it'll give you a bit of an idea. The bike just needs to go to someone with the time and money to really restore it. It was great to learn on! Gotta say, in the future I may just have to search out another one of these with a larger motor ;)

Thanks for the help guys!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2011 13:31 #468012 by gear
I'd expect that to fetch somewhere like $1000 - $1200. I've certainly seen bikes in worse shape posted in the $1500 range.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.