Drive different than you did 10 or 20 years ago?

More
27 Jul 2011 21:24 - 27 Jul 2011 21:29 #465396 by 76900KZ
Roads, traffic paterns,cellphones,tinted windows, etc... These things have really changed the way you ride a motorcycle. People are meaner and way less considerate. Eveeryone is in a rush. I used to try to find open space on a country road or highway. Today I actually put a cage at a safe distance as a blocker to help stop the cellphone guy that pulls out in front of me. Tinted windows make it impossible to make eye contact and I get that electrical feeling in my seat when I approach an intersection. People run red lights like never before. And if you drive 5 miles over the flow of traffic the Cops will write you up. I would like to hear what you have found different. What do you do to combat it. And what really pisses you off when riding? Hopefully some good tips will be posted for some of the newer riders or those who havent been riding for several years and getting back into it. Have you changed lane position? How you ride with 1 or more riders? Are there any up to date publications on the subject?
Last edit: 27 Jul 2011 21:29 by 76900KZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
27 Jul 2011 22:02 #465405 by hocbj23
I started riding in the late 50s when cycles were a novelty and people paid attention to them.Now there are Hardleys all over the place and nobody pays attention.I try to ride with one other person-slowest bike in front.Lead bike right of center line,trailing bike to his right and always in his mirror.Never 2 abreast. We use the old fashioned hand signals as well as blinkers as sometimes that will get folks attention--if they no what hand signals mean.1 bike length between us for every 10mph speed--or more.Back bike watches for tailgaters and lead bike watches for idiots that look like "pull out in front of u" candidates---with appropriate finger points or lite flashes.We try to travel the posted limit but a pass is initiated by the trailing bike moving left while the lead bike passes.We try never to lose sight of our "buddy".Hope this helps.bj

More
27 Jul 2011 22:09 #465406 by P21
very simple

Dont make me put the kickstand down

have great day

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
27 Jul 2011 23:50 #465439 by jramsey89
Replied by jramsey89 on topic Drive different than you did 10 or 20 years ago?
Well I have only been riding a couple years and here's what I've changed already. The motorcycle manual will tell you to slow down when approaching an animal (dog) then speed up as you are right next to it. My advice, slow down as soon as you see the dog... stop if you have to. Go get the dog's owner and have them hold the dog as you ride away safely. I'd rather be chewed to pieces by a dog than by the road again.

More
28 Jul 2011 11:29 #465506 by steell
See dog on road in front of me, slow down, shoot dog, go on my way.
Cellphone idiots, do what's needed to avoid collision, give them the finger and do everything I can to persuade them to stop (if male) so I can see if they can whip my butt.

General idiots, see cellphone user.

My friends say I appear to be stressed out here lately, I don't know why they say that.

KD9JUR

More
28 Jul 2011 12:35 #465514 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Drive different than you did 10 or 20 years ago?
The first 7 years of riding (1973-1980), motorcycles were my only form of transport - so I endured traffic constantly. I used to ride fast - very fast - and took far too many chances - I survived - somehow.

I was hit by cars twice (and didn't come off), I crashed into the back of a car (my fault - too inexperienced at the time), Plus I crashed bikes a few times without help - gravel got me once - I high-sided - scary to have a bike roll over the top of you and miss you, then a wet road caused the front wheel to wash out, and I was way too fast going into corners a couple of times.

These days I ride for enjoyment - I choose the roads I ride on - and avoid traffic as much as possible. I don't push the bike to the limit any more - I used to drag stands and pipes going into corners - that rarely happens these days.

I am much more cautious now. Farm traffic (tractors, animals, etc) and gravel on the road are my biggest threat - although I was nearly taken out by a driver running a stop sign while he was on a cell phone.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
28 Jul 2011 13:05 #465515 by Kidkawie
Growing up (and still) riding in the dirt, I have respect for motorcycles and gravity. I've been plenty hurt in the dirt, so I know pavement isn't going to be softer. Too much traffic around where I live to make street riding "fun".

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125