best boneyards

More
31 May 2011 11:29 #454490 by 82KZ305Belt
best boneyards was created by 82KZ305Belt
What are the biggest bestest boneyards for early 80s KZs, and esp small ones? I have a hard time finding used parts for my 305. I've called a bunch of Midwest salvage yards already and few of them even have any 305s, leat alone the parts I want.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2011 13:23 #454507 by Tariff
Replied by Tariff on topic best boneyards
Well thanks to the internet you can comb boneyards all over the US.But I will say the 305 was another short run model and parts for it can take some time to locate.I always liked that bike.
If you had to go to a popular internet auction site and scan through there,don't forget to search globaly.The UK got allot of models the US got from Kawasaki.Although they tend to have the larger english motorcycle fenders/mudguards and such.
They also kept on getting US models after they stoped sending and selling them in the US.
Plenty of boneyards across the country,and the best ones are the ones that have the parts ya need,at a good price that is.
what parts do ya need?

1984 KZ700A1 Sports
1977 Triumph T140 "Bonnie 750"
1975 Honda CB400f "SS"
and others...

More
31 May 2011 13:58 #454518 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic best boneyards

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 May 2011 14:55 #454525 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic best boneyards

82KZ305Belt wrote: ...have a hard time finding used parts for my 305....

Sometimes helps to search for part sharing among different models on kawasaki.com website, which also includes parts diagrams, part numbers, availability, etc.

Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

One shortcoming with such search is that a part won't be shown as shared even though otherwise identical due to a relatively insignificant difference such as color.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 May 2011 19:10 #454580 by 82KZ305Belt
Replied by 82KZ305Belt on topic best boneyards
A part also wont show as shared if it fits but wasn't intended for that purpose-like a 440 engine sprocket fits a belt drive 305 but they wont list that.

The 305 IS a great little bike. if I had know how uncommon they are and how hard it can be to find parts, I never would have bought it. So I'm glad I didn't know.

Thanks for the links Mfolks, I'll save those. I had not tried them.

I was asking right now because of the case saver I was looking for, but found. But I have looked at various times for belts, belt pulleys, etc, all of which come up on e*** but often in poor condition or silly high prices ($150 for a cracked 30 year old strip of rubber that your life depends on! Buy it NOW! ). I also had the brainstorm to search the world e*** for those parts just before I decided to debelt and put a chain on. That's a good idea for anyone looking for parts for these. I did find some things floating around Europe that I hadnt seen over here.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 May 2011 20:47 #454611 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic best boneyards
where are you located,what parts are you looking for? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.