KZ production numbers

• Tariff
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tariff
More
30 May 2011 21:56 #454409 by Tariff
KZ production numbers was created by Tariff
I bought a KZ700 back in 1984,now I still have the bike and I just was told that they only made 2000 of them.
Personaly I don't think the guy knows what he is talking about,but I have always wondered the real unit production number for that bike,that year.So i figured I would come here cuz you folk might already know a easy resourse to find out.
I know,I know...write to Kawasaki but I just wanted to check with you guys first.
Tariff

1984 KZ700A1 Sports
1977 Triumph T140 "Bonnie 750"
1975 Honda CB400f "SS"
and others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2011 00:01 - 31 May 2011 00:04 #454443 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ production numbers
Good luck, I don't believe even Kawasaki knows the answer.

Kawasaki sold 5000 KZ750E models in 1983, so I'd guess they sold about the same number of 700's

KD9JUR
Last edit: 31 May 2011 00:04 by steell.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 May 2011 00:03 #454444 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ production numbers
whats the serial number? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
31 May 2011 02:01 #454453 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic KZ production numbers
It is not likely that Kawasaki will tell you how many units were produced. I'm not sure they care. As you know, that was a single production run. I know a fellow in Florida who also owns one of these bikes, works for a Kawasaki dealership, and acquired the bike precisely because of the limited production run. His sources in the Kawasaki network put the production run at 2000 units.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Tariff
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tariff
More
31 May 2011 13:10 #454503 by Tariff
Replied by Tariff on topic KZ production numbers
Thanks for the replies.The serial number is a couple hundred below 2000 so I always wondered.Yea,basicly its a 750 sleved down to a 700 for import tax reasons(thank you H-D).And I know kawasaki doesen't care.The also gave it a diffrent paint scheme for that model,orange and red stripes were still pretty stylish in 84 (look at the Z28 Camaros of that era).
I remember whem I bought it ,a couple bikes down was a ELR but it was $4000 and at 18 I had worked hard to get the $2000 for my KZ,OH and the dealer charged me $100 dollars to put on the 1/4 fairing,I said ok,as long as he added the stripes.I need a time machine to go back then with a pile of money.
Some bikes you buy and you know its a keeper,for life!:)

1984 KZ700A1 Sports
1975 Honda CB400f "SS"
and others...

More
31 May 2011 20:25 #454600 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic KZ production numbers
Tariff,

Is your's the bike that is on ebay now ?

Is your screenname Tariff because of the tariff that caused the 750 to become the 700?

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 May 2011 20:31 #454603 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ production numbers

Tariff wrote: Thanks for the replies.The serial number is a couple hundred below 2000 so I always wondered.Yea,basicly its a 750 sleved down to a 700 for import tax reasons(thank you H-D).And I know kawasaki doesen't care.The also gave it a diffrent paint scheme for that model,orange and red stripes were still pretty stylish in 84 (look at the Z28 Camaros of that era).
I remember whem I bought it ,a couple bikes down was a ELR but it was $4000 and at 18 I had worked hard to get the $2000 for my KZ,OH and the dealer charged me $100 dollars to put on the 1/4 fairing,I said ok,as long as he added the stripes.I need a time machine to go back then with a pile of money.
Some bikes you buy and you know its a keeper,for life!:)

if i had a time machine and a fist full of dollars,id probably spend them all in the same titty bar i did back then! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Tariff
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tariff
More
01 Jun 2011 08:53 - 01 Jun 2011 09:37 #454714 by Tariff
Yes Tariff is the screen name.And no that is not my personal bike and the picture is the one on ebay.My bike still has the stock exhaust (dual chrome and the rear fender),the one on ebay does not.I dont have any recent pictures of my bike since my daughter "borrowed" my digital camera,that i have not seen since,those with kids know how that works.
Although my bike is in the same condition as the one on ebay at the moment.I think the auction ended last night?
I just got a "new " used gas tank as the rust pinholes in the stock tank were getting to be a little to plentiful.I planned on changing my avatar when my camera reapears,I would call her right now,but im sure she would ask to "borrow" some cash!Ahhhhh youth!:)

Edit:I was just thinking,a couple of people including me said "Kawasaki dosen't care" about trivial things like owners interested in production numbers.But if you ask me they should have someone that handles these type of things.As the years tick by and these bikes become auntiques,collectors market grows,prices go up and the next thing you know the are at some auction that the common man just couldn't compete in.Kawasaki should be documenting this stuff and hire a photo guy to take pics,kinda like Harley ended up doing.Maybe the Japanese do not think this way,don't know the culture that much.
Well for now I guess its up to KZrider to do it out of the dedication to the brand ,bikes,and love of the culture.
Today I am emailing and snailmailing Kawasaki in Japan about these things..........I'll post about it when I recive my standered form letter response and tell ya how it goes.

1984 KZ700A1 Sports
1975 Honda CB400f "SS"
and others...
Last edit: 01 Jun 2011 09:37 by Tariff. Reason: extra thoughts

More
01 Jun 2011 11:12 #454742 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic KZ production numbers

Tariff wrote:
Edit:I was just thinking,a couple of people including me said "Kawasaki dosen't care" about trivial things like owners interested in production numbers.But if you ask me they should have someone that handles these type of things.As the years tick by and these bikes become auntiques,collectors market grows,prices go up and the next thing you know the are at some auction that the common man just couldn't compete in.Kawasaki should be documenting this stuff and hire a photo guy to take pics,kinda like Harley ended up doing.Maybe the Japanese do not think this way,don't know the culture that much.
Well for now I guess its up to KZrider to do it out of the dedication to the brand ,bikes,and love of the culture.
Today I am emailing and snailmailing Kawasaki in Japan about these things..........I'll post about it when I recive my standered form letter response and tell ya how it goes.

Good luck with that...we have been down that road a number of times over the years and Kawasaki is in the business of selling new bikes, not used bikes...virtually all the information on the web is due to Kawasaki enthusiasts (or crackpots...depending upon your perspective) and not due to Kawasaki. Kawasaki is well aware of it's heritage and periodically attempts to cash in on it...but only in relation to new bike sales.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Tariff
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tariff
More
24 Feb 2012 11:31 #506102 by Tariff
Yea,i punked of the image from ebay and i choose tariff because of H-Ds lobby to congress that all of thier bikes were over 750cc's and they couldnt compet with Asia so they lobbyed for a rediculus tax over any import over 750ccs..including bikes from Europe and elsewhere.
Malcom Forbes was a prick along with Willie G. and 99% of wall street.
If Harley invested in updated tooling,updated enginering designs of the bikes,and attention to poor quality control as well as not letting the boardroom make decisions on what thier custumers wanted.(aside from Asian design advances)They wouldn't have almost gone bankrupt and cried to Pres. Reagean (parden my rant and generaly poor spelling!) sry

1984 KZ700A1 Sports
1975 Honda CB400f "SS"
and others...