Pitstop Performance

• greesemonkee
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Apr 2011 20:16 - 23 Apr 2011 20:27 #446569 by greesemonkee
Pitstop Performance was created by greesemonkee
- I am not trying to post this in an effort to burn anyone; merely, trying to inform others like myself who didn't know any better.

- I have just yesterday closed the book on this deal. The end result was that I received the merchandise as per our agreement. He upheld his end of the purchase and did supply the parts and services he had quoted. In Febuary, we discussed the work to be done. He prepared a final quote on Thursday the 24th and his asking price (approximately $3300) was paid in its entirety two days later, on the 26th. He responded on Sunday to indicate that, “The cylinder has been ordered and I will get started on the head soon.” This lead me to believe that work would being soon after. On Saturday the 12th of March he said the cylinder was being built and he had just located a cylinder head. After several weeks, attempted emails, and attempted phone calls had passed, I still had not heard from Mr. Hooper. I called PayPal who recommended I file a claim. I heard from Mr. Hooper within 24hrs. At this point, Mr. Hooper would not ship until PayPal released his money, and PayPal would not release his money until he shipped. Mr. Hooper issued a refund and I paid him, again. Half of My order left on Friday the 1st of April. The day before on Mar 31st he said,"the cylinder is done" and "it [the head] could be done on Monday if it gets back on the “in work” list.” I received an email Friday the 8th that indicated the cylinder head would ship Tuesday the 12th. The following week (i.e. Monday the 18th) the head shipped. I received it Friday the 22nd of April. All in all I got what I paid for, it just took two months. I had not anticipated that wait.

- Under close inspection, the block appears flawless. Kudos! The cylinder head leaves me feeling I got exactly what I paid for. I will disassemble it and clean the ports, open them up slightly using the flow bench at work, and inspect the seats widths and valves faces closely, as some of the margins look thin. I am more than capable of the work; we have a full machine shop in house. I just don’t have the time [I know, I know…”if you want something done right”, “if you can do it, you should have”…I’ve been getting it from the guys at work for over a month now]. I will not retouch the paint to get the missing areas; it’s not that important. In retrospect, I should have told Mr. Hooper that I would have promptly paid for the additional effort, but just didn’t realize I had too. I know now.

- I understand problems happen in the manufacture and fabrication of custom orders that can easily delay the process. However, good communication is an essential skill for all business owner /operators, and could have eliminated the stress in this transaction.

Thank you very much, to those of you that helped me after the last post.

-GreeseMonkee
'77 KZ1000
'04 ZX636
'09 ZX14
Last edit: 23 Apr 2011 20:27 by greesemonkee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
23 Apr 2011 20:42 - 23 Apr 2011 20:48 #446574 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic Pitstop Performance
why wasnt this posted in your other psp thread? oh, i know why. the MODS closed it. :laugh: i am happy for you i hope you got what you paid for. thats what counts.....

by the way, even though pit stop performance is a paying advertiser on this forum, i personally am a un satistfied customer.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2011 20:48 by Stu Pidasole.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
23 Apr 2011 21:14 #446579 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic Pitstop Performance
I don't get this, not knocking anybody or what they charge, but there is a lot of local shops that would bore a block for 20 bucks a hole, and do it as good as anybody, I have a machine shop local, I pop valves out, they grind em for less than 50 bucks, lap em back in, throw your cash in the trash if you want to, but I will be holding on to mine.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
23 Apr 2011 22:12 #446589 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Pitstop Performance
I have used PitStop a multiple times and I am extremely happy with them When I had my jobs quoted here in the Chicago area three years ago, the lowest I could get priced was $80/hole that is $320 for the block. At that time Joe was still charging $100 for the whole block, he is now at about $125. He also obtained custom cut MTC pistons for me at a price lower than my dealer cost for a set of stock Wiseco pistons. Joe is an upstanding guy who I have been dealing with now for about 5 years and he has never even gotten close to doing anything bad or underhanded to me. There is some part of the story we do not see or know here.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
23 Apr 2011 23:58 #446633 by kawman66
Replied by kawman66 on topic Pitstop Performance
i have orderd parts from him before through ebay and didnt get everything that was stated in the auction when i asked about it he he said sorry and i still never got all of it so i didnt get what i paid for and will not go back.

otakar 80 dollars a hole thats a rip off in the kc. area it 12$ a hole up to a 4.5 inch hole

75 z1b
76 kz900ltd
76 kz900
76 kz900-1500
77 kz1000ltd

my drinking team has a racing problem

• greesemonkee
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Apr 2011 11:06 #446697 by greesemonkee
Replied by greesemonkee on topic Pitstop Performance
Again, I'm not trying to argue the price. I felt his price was at the time and still is very fair.

The reason I came here originally was simply to get advice. I had never dealt with him before. I am posting now, just so others know what to expect when using his services. I am not recommending anyone to avoid using Pitstop Performance; just don't expect great communication or on-time delivery. I paid him in Feb., he just now delivered, and there were times I wouldn't hear from him for weeks at a time.

Though the above may sound insulting. It is not intended to be a burn. Just a fact. One which Joe Hooper himself acknowledged:
- "I know you got jerked around on the time frame and I am sorry." - via email 4/18/11

Again, I got exactly what I paid for, but was very worried during the waiting period, because I didn't hear from him at all. I am only posting this to help the next guy avoid the same stress.

-GreeseMonkee
'77 KZ1000
'04 ZX636
'09 ZX14

More
24 Apr 2011 17:49 #446799 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Pitstop Performance
Joe was great, his work was fantastic, price was reasonable and he was very quick with my order. He communicated with me quickly and even answered questions about re-assembly when I asked. I was very happy with PitStop.

More
26 Apr 2011 02:51 #447082 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Pitstop Performance
I had Joe do all my engine machining when I rebuild it a couple years ago. It took about twice as long as he originally quoted, but I think he did an excellent job. He also gave me advice along the way. He really did seem to want me to be happy with his work. He also didn't have me pay him a penny until all work was done and ready to ship. I would use him again.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

More
29 Apr 2011 01:01 #447656 by mrbill
Replied by mrbill on topic Pitstop Performance
I've also heard they do good work.