my friend and old school wrench in Singapore - Yee

More
01 Mar 2011 05:16 #434137 by WPBill
While I was stationed in Singapore 2000 - 2002, I would take my HD to SUNBURST for repairs and mods instead of to the HD dealership. Yee is the owner/mechanic and he is definitely an old school mechanic. Shipping costs make picking/choosing from catalogs very expensive, so pretty much anything that is not HD specific he makes from locally available items.

Here are some pix I took when I visited his shop while I was in Singapore a couple weeks ago.

The Government of Singapore makes is prohibitively expensive to own a bike or car more than ten years after the manufacture date, so most of the bikes in his shop are newer HDs. Yee doesn't consider himself a HD only guy, just that most of his customers are HD owners.

The man himself

Token KZRider qualifying bike

CB350 Four based cafe racer which Yee put together

old style fire extinguisher welded to HD. Yee says that was a popular mod on old Triumphs.

here's a good example of making do with local stuff. The fuel petcock is a LPG gas line valve "liberated" from a food hawker stall. Yee bent all the copper lines himself. He used to make his own oil tanks by welding two fire extinguishers together, but he says these days its actually pretty easy to get an aftermarket tank in Singapore. All he does is to plumb in a valve to facilitate draining the tank. The air cleaner is from a car, and took some work to mate to the Keihin (IIRC) carb on the bike. Heater ducting is what he used to make the exhaust heat shields. The last picture is kind of hard to see, but what he did was to reduce the wiring size for most of the loom so he could run the wiring through the frame and clean things up.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2011 05:18 #434138 by WPBill
Here's a V-Rod he worked on. The big mod is moving the gauge cluster off the handlebars and into a mounting he faired into the faux tank

said it took a lot of measuring and calculating to get both the look and enough handlebar clearance at full lock

aluminum endcap he fabbed for swingarm mount to hide the large nut, normally exposed

his shop

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Mar 2011 05:50 #434141 by TeK9iNe
:laugh: The mother of invention is need! :laugh:

Good stuff!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
01 Mar 2011 06:18 #434148 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic my friend and old school wrench in Singapore - Yee
:ohmy:
the z1r!

amazing how innovative people can be.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0