Long Way Round KZ?

More
01 Feb 2011 17:03 - 13 Feb 2012 19:07 #427705 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 19:07 by KZ250LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 17:08 - 13 Feb 2012 19:07 #427707 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 19:07 by KZ250LTD.

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
01 Feb 2011 17:53 - 01 Feb 2011 17:57 #427716 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic Long Way Round KZ?
What about an early GPZ550? 18" back wheel for a knobby, set of dirt bike shocks, and a big dirt bike front clip? Weren't these narrower than a 650? forgot...case guards!

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled
Last edit: 01 Feb 2011 17:57 by gearheadmm.

More
01 Feb 2011 18:07 #427718 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Long Way Round KZ?
550A2 wrote:

I think the 750 twin would be a good contender for the style bike your building, it has the low end torque good for trail riding. Somewhat narrow, lighter then a 4 cyl, and with an oil cooler hell yeah.

Instead of putting the kz motor in a enduro chassis, enduro suspension on a strenghtened kz chassis would be awsome! an aluminum monoshock swingarm in the rear with a big fat knobby and a cafe tail piece. :blink:

i can picture a 750 twin in this, not very utilitarian though.

that looks obnoxious! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
02 Feb 2011 05:12 #427785 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Long Way Round KZ?
I think maybe even better than a 750 twin would be a 400 or 440 twin simply for the weight savings. If you took a kz440, sompletely stripped it of anything you don't need, modified the frame to accept a monoshock and put on some longer forks you might have a decent trail bike. The 750 I think would be too heavy, even my klr is a pig in the dirty stuff, and it weight less than 400 pounds.

More
02 Feb 2011 07:45 #427809 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Long Way Round KZ?
I would love the opportunity to ride one of the big BMWs just to see what they're like. I have a dream (unrealized) of making an epic cross-country journey one day, like Alaska and back, etc. I guess I like the concept of having a larger bike that can carry my big ass and some decent camp gear at hiway speeds comfortably, and still get around off-road a bit.

Of course just buying a KLR would be too easy, and I can't see parting with the cheddar for a BMW. So I need to make one.

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
02 Feb 2011 07:49 #427811 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Long Way Round KZ?
Marneman wrote:

I would love the opportunity to ride one of the big BMWs just to see what they're like. I have a dream (unrealized) of making an epic cross-country journey one day, like Alaska and back, etc. I guess I like the concept of having a larger bike that can carry my big ass and some decent camp gear at hiway speeds comfortably, and still get around off-road a bit.

Of course just buying a KLR would be too easy, and I can't see parting with the cheddar for a BMW. So I need to make one.

You need to make that trip happen. My father-in-law did the Texas to Alaska run a few years back. Spent three weeks riding, and has experiences that he will never forget. I plan on a similar trip some day. Hopefully when the kids get a little older.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
02 Feb 2011 08:05 #427814 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Long Way Round KZ?
I always wanted one of those BMW GS for yrs. A friend of mine had an old one. I forget if it was a 1000 or a 1100 but it was back when they weren't all that powerful but still it ran and handled really nice. I debated them but have had BMW before and you must have deep pockets for dealer maintenence and hope the dealer is not full of dopeheads doing your service, which I found was always the case. You read about BMWs, there are 2 distinct history to all of them it seems. Either they are great and have had zero problems, or they are complete garbage day after day with repeated problems, seems little in between. KLR Kawasaki kind of seems the same way from what I've read. I can't see much fun in converting an old street bike to enduro but if you want to look at a few www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330726

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
02 Feb 2011 08:33 #427825 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Long Way Round KZ?
A buddy of mine was asking me if I would have my bike together by the summer, and asked if I wanted to join him and his dad on a bike trip from Arizona to Alaska. They planned on a month to do it. I know I'd hate myself if I don't go, but I also can't exactly take a month off, or leave my wife alone that long with our young family. Ahhhhh, such is life.

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
02 Feb 2011 11:38 #427857 by Marneman
testarossa wrote:

Marneman wrote:

You need to make that trip happen. My father-in-law did the Texas to Alaska run a few years back. Spent three weeks riding, and has experiences that he will never forget. I plan on a similar trip some day. Hopefully when the kids get a little older.

Nothing to stop us from planning it Bud...;) We gotta keep our dreams alive :)

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
02 Feb 2011 11:39 #427858 by Marneman
Marneman wrote:

testarossa wrote:

Marneman wrote:

Nothing to stop us from planning it Bud...;) We gotta keep our dreams alive :)

And Adam too!

More
02 Feb 2011 18:37 #427974 by Marneman