• Page:

TOPIC:

Model History? 23 Dec 2010 22:05 #418389

• polarbear
  • polarbear's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I bought a 1983 KZ550 Ltd a few months ago and just started putting it back together to get it back on the road this Spring. There's not much to do but I have very little time so progress is slow. I don't mind since i have another bike I can ride if need be --cough vfr...cough...

In any case, here's my question: although I did own a KZ440 ltd about 12 years ago, I'm not that familiar with the history of these models. I would like to know HOW I can find out more about it.

-For instance, what exact model (F, M?!?) do I have? Where do I find this?
-How many were made?
-How many were imported in Canada?
-Is the purple with the three stripes (light and dark brown, gold) stock paint scheme?
-What is identical to other models or, in other words, what is different in mine (so I can order parts off Fleabay)?!? Suspension, electrical, seat... ?!?

On a different topic, how do I get stickers for the stripes if I want to repaint it? The gas tank is rusting and needs a fresh paint, so I will need stickers.

Thank you all for your help on this.
Christian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Model History? 24 Dec 2010 03:17 #418399

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
Hello Christian...first order of business...buy a manual...a genuine Kawasaki shop manual...you'll find them on eBay and fairly reasonably priced. I suspect you have a shaft drive KZ and if so, the manual you need is specific to the shaft drive 550's. Do not accept any substitutes (e.g. Clymers, Haynes, etc...only get the genuine Kawasaki manual). The manuals are very detailed yet somewhat friendly towards a novice Kawasaki mechanic (which is what you have become when you acquired the 550).

To decipher what model you have, look at the frame VIN...the seventh digit in the frame VIN is the model number...I suspect you'll find an 'M'...which = LTD. It was only imported for a single year - 1983. Kawasaki was notoriously poor about keeping records which translates to an unknown number produced (We have a start VIN, but since there was no second year of importation, there was no end VIN. The second year would have had it's own start VIN and the difference = units produced). HOWEVER, a complementary model, the 550 Spectre (aka KZ550F series), was produced for two years (1983 and 1984) and by interpolation and inference [it was aimed at the same audience] we see that less than 2500 units were imported to North America...it is likely that these numbers are similar to the LTD. On, to Canadian imports...initially, Canadian imports of Kawasaki were routed though American ports but I am unaware of any records of how many bikes were transshipped to Canada...goes back to poor record keeping.

As for learning which models/parts interchange...much of what is present on this site is a collective presentation of owners trial-and-error events. HOWEVER, one of our members posted this excellent tutorial on how to use the www.kawasaki.com site. kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734 The site has exploded diagrams of many of the models discussed on this site and has drop-down menus to show which parts are identical between models. Other parts not listed may also work, but there will be enough differences to not deem them identical...this knowledge will come with experience.

EDIT: I am not aware of any aftermarket decal manufacturer that makes a decal set for your bike. A good painter will be able to duplicate the pattern.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: by Mcdroid.

Model History? 24 Dec 2010 06:50 #418417

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
For decals you could try reproduction decal in London ON
www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frame...nfo_events.html~main

...but like mcdroid says may not be exact for you bike
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Model History? 24 Dec 2010 09:28 #418431

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There were actually 3 LTD style 550 models in 1983.

The most common of them was the C "Ltd" model (chain drive). That model started in 1980 as the C1, and later '81/C2, '82/C3, '83/C4. It is easily identifiable by the chain drive. It uses the older, rounder style 550 motor castings, and the TK-22 manual slide carbs.

Then there was the one-year, M1 "Ltd-shaft" that McDroid described. That used the later, squarish 550 motor castings, larger TK-26 CV carbs (rubber diaphragms on top), and is shaft drive. The rear shocks had exposed springs.

The 83 F model was the "Spectre" and shared similar mechanicals to the M1 "Ltd", but had cosmetic differences over the M1. The rear shocks were totally enclosed so springs were not visible. I believe many parts had a gold finish to them, including some engine covers. In 1984, the F2 model may have taken over the name "Ltd" as it is no longer referred to as the Spectre in the parts diagrams after 83, and the C and M Ltd's no longer were being brought to the US and Canada.

Note, there was also the H1 model "gpz" 550, and the A4 model "Standard" in 1983. I believe both also used the later style motor with the TK-26 carbs. Although several bikes used the TK-26 carbs, they were not all identical. There were some minor differences based on the model of bike they were on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tazdeville87

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Model History? 02 Jan 2011 15:10 #419783

• polarbear
  • polarbear's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello guys,
First of all, I would like to apologize for this late reply. I guess that the holidays and the birth of my daughter kept me away from the 'puter.

In any case, I am impressed by your answers guys, thank you very much; this is very informative.

Mine's the shaft model, as some of you described, so it would be the M model, right? No gold parts, exposed shocks and larger carbs--different from what I've seen on Fleabay anyway, mine seem to have rounder tops and not the rectangular ones. I was not aware that so many similar but not identical models were made. Makes you wonder somewhat about marketing...

Well, now that I have an answer to this question about the model, all I need is to fire it up... :blink:

I should be able to get to play around with it soon, I just got a new battery and will be able to track down the component I think I fried when I tried to start it up with a dead battery hooked up to my car. :( :blink: I know, I know. Live and learn...

Anyway, tanks for this info, very helpful.
C

Last edit: by polarbear.

Model History? 02 Jan 2011 15:26 #419785

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Congrats on the daughter B) and good luck on the M1.

• Page: