Valuable lesson learned

More
04 Jun 2010 18:53 #373515 by bhardy501
Valuable lesson learned was created by bhardy501
This was embarassing but was a good lesson. I done some trading today and got a 99 Honda 1100 Shadow Spirit. Sweet bike with low miles (I know its not a Kaw. but no one offered me one for my welder). Anyway I rode it over to a buddys house to show it off, when leaving I was making a sharp turn in the drive way and it stalled out. Well the Shadow is heavier or atleast it feels heavier and when it stalled in the middle of the slow speed sharp turn, well you can guess where this is going or atleast where I went. Right out across the concrete with my bike laying on its side. Luckily I wasnt injured and the bike wasnt damaged. Just my pride. My Buddy helped me pick it up and check it over. It is a huge change going from my 80 KZ1000 to the 99 Shadow cruiser. I am havng a hard time getting used to my feet being out in front of me instead of them being under me, going to take some practice and gettng used to. Hopefully it will stay up right from here on out. I feel like a real Newb.

1980 KZ1000B LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2010 20:21 #373544 by csrjoe
Replied by csrjoe on topic Valuable lesson learned
I went from a sv650 to a 4 cyl. Even my mechanic wanted to know how the adjustment was going. I the over confindent student I am thought nothing of it, Right up untill I started making some turns. It seems the bike is a bit more wider, heavier than my sv was. Although I havent dropped the bike. I take turns with more caution. I owned the sv for 7yrs. Its going to be awhile for me to get use to the csr650. Just thought I'd share alittle of my exprience. Glad to hear your not injuryed.

More
04 Jun 2010 20:32 #373548 by bhardy501
Replied by bhardy501 on topic Valuable lesson learned
Thanks, when it started over there was nothing I could do but ride it out. The big cruiser is definitly harder to control at very slow speeds.

1980 KZ1000B LTD

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
04 Jun 2010 21:48 #373564 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Valuable lesson learned
Don't feel too bad, slow speed handling is where differences in bike behavior is exagerated the most.

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2010 05:34 #373601 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Valuable lesson learned
I rode for 25-30 years,was off bikes for 15-20 years,then started building my Kawi.Took a 2 day course for beginning bikers that helped me out a lot.Had to swallow a little pride,but was very beneficial.bj