Kaw worship- describe what your bike means to you.

• 1981jmotor
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • shade tree mechanic
More
25 May 2010 20:33 #370939 by 1981jmotor
I think there is a broad range of how we feel about our bikes. To some, their bike is just an investment, or a hobby.
Mine is like my child. I ordered some dust boots that go on the choke enrichment shafts. They came in the mail today, and I jumped for joy like an 8 year old kid.
If I had to make a 500 mile trip to get some insignificant part, as long as it is factory- what Kawasaki put on it when it was new, my bike is worthy of such a trip.
I have had my bike for about 2.5 years now, and for various reasons, I have not been able to give it the TLC I wanted to.
Maybe it is because improving my Kawasaki is one thing where I can see results. It is precious to me, and I wish I had a KZ "daddy" to pat me on the head every day if I was taking proper care of my bike.
I mean, I mean, I wish I had an SAE/Kawasaki/ certified and trained guru to babysit my bike when I am not riding it.
I mean I want the old pros, and the fine chicks to gawk at and admire my Kawasaki.
How far would some of you go for your bike?

1981 Kawasaki CSR 1000

First bike ever at 14 years old was 1969 Honda CL 175.
Bought a brand new Honda CM400T at 16 years old in 1979.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 20:46 #370943 by irishwill
we'll to tell you the truth ....it's a link to the past...call it a mid life crisis if you like....but when I get on it...espescialy in the presence of old pals...its a time warp back to when we were young and reckless/carefree
no house no wife no bills no nuthin....except chasin a pretty girl....or havin a few laughs...over a few beers....after a night on the bikes....I mean we lived on those old bikes....its a part of me....always gonna be

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
25 May 2010 20:53 #370946 by eddiem
If I die riding mine I died happy

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
25 May 2010 21:29 #370954 by 550A2
when i ride my bike, its like an extension of my body!

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 May 2010 22:27 - 25 May 2010 22:28 #370958 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kaw worship- describe what your bike means to you.
i'd rather ride a kz than ----

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 25 May 2010 22:28 by trianglelaguna.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
26 May 2010 06:04 #370978 by Kawickrice
My Z1 has been with me through thick and thin. Two wives have come and gone, two children have come. My youngest child is 18 and ready to leave the house while her 24 year old brother has been gone awhile now. Through it all my bike has been there and never left me. After 25 plus years I will never part with it, never.

My 650 was purchased from my brother who died about a year after I bought his bike so it is now part of my KZ family that I will never let go. Not a bad thought that I will have two KZ's when I pass.

I also have to agree with irishwill as being a link to the past. Very fond memerories of my youth on my Z1

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
26 May 2010 06:11 #370979 by Bluemeanie
I've owned my 650 for 30 years now, having bought it new. When I throw my leg over it for a ride it's like throwing my leg over the wife. Very familer, comfortable. I know every inch of my bike, it does what I want and unlike the wife... it has never let me down. I love my bike and will NEVER sell her. I'm on my second wife but still on my first bike! :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
26 May 2010 06:29 #370985 by Motor Head
Me I love tinkering, and I have always likeD the Kaw street bikes. Years ago I had a 76 KH500 Mach3 tripple, what a rocket, but don't ask how it handled. Lately I have rescuing KZ's, ones that have been sitting for years that need TLC, and been grinning ever since! Nothing like the low end tork followed by a real mid range punch and a great top end, then the handling is still really good even though out dated, I try not to ride the newer bikes to much because they have such great suspension. Some may hate their Mikuni carbs but I love em, easy to tune, once you get em off of the rubber connectors, all parts easy to get and mostly reasonably priced. Try that with a 25-30 year old Injection system, sure the Injection is great, but can you fix it when stranded on the side of the road? Doubt it!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
26 May 2010 06:44 #370988 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Kaw worship- describe what your bike means to you.
Whoa, what a great question.... B)

I learned of the KZ back in the 70's, had my ass handed to me on my 750 super sport by a KZ... Tucked my tail and could only ask, WTF is that gorgeous bike!...

The reply was simple... "Welcome to the KZ, hail the King" where I instantly fell in love and knew one day, I must have one...

Fast forward 30 years... I now have one! :cheer:

The biggest kick I get out of owning one is where old guys, young guys, you name it come up and go "Whoa, a KZ, King of the road, I had one back in the 70's, what you do to her, those KZ's were so wickedly fast for their time etc..." and you can see it in there eyes, especially the older guys where they're reminiscing their youth on these wonderful old machines.

Or when we go on a group ride... My buds are riding newer bikes and when the old girl gives them a run for the money, they just grin and shake their heads for they just can't believe how fast this old technology still is.

Even with all their new fancy ass 4 valve per cylinder, fuel injected memory mapped fuel system, suspension, 6 speed tranny, the old girl pulls away from them until they hit 6-7Krpm.... :evil:

Now they'll pass me doing a buck 120 but I just laugh for I'm already down the road at the end of the quarter mile by then having a smoke.... Then we all just laugh.... It's as fun for them as it is for me...B)

Then theirs the freedom factor while on a ride... The raw power just sitting idly by, humming along, waiting for you to twist the throttle opening her up, letting her out of her cage, the pulling force is uncanny, I Grin, the awesome sound of the Kerker coming to life in a finely tuned engine as you hit the power band.... Music to the ears... The KZ Gods grin...

Truly therapeutic! Not much more I can say about it. B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 1981jmotor
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • shade tree mechanic
More
26 May 2010 06:52 #370990 by 1981jmotor
I find much in common with Irishwill, and I have come to realize why I always look forward to riding my bike.
The 2 Hondas I had( check my sig below) were an absolute dreamland for me when I was a young man. I had a lot of pain and confusion going on with my parents, and I could not understand, but when I got on my old CL 175, or later my CM 400, I was free, and I was happy.
Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write this. I got hooked on hard drugs about 2003, and I got 6 months clean now. I lost everything- drugs can take everything, health, hope, relationships. I am not the same man I was before 2003, and when I get on my Kaw now, it takes me back to that free and happy young man I was. When life was ahead of me. Now I am 46, and the most beautiful, healthy, admirable, thing I got going--- is my 30 year old Kawasaki.

1981 Kawasaki CSR 1000

First bike ever at 14 years old was 1969 Honda CL 175.
Bought a brand new Honda CM400T at 16 years old in 1979.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
26 May 2010 07:46 #371008 by Kawickrice
1981jmotor wrote:

I find much in common with Irishwill, and I have come to realize why I always look forward to riding my bike.
The 2 Hondas I had( check my sig below) were an absolute dreamland for me when I was a young man. I had a lot of pain and confusion going on with my parents, and I could not understand, but when I got on my old CL 175, or later my CM 400, I was free, and I was happy.
Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write this. I got hooked on hard drugs about 2003, and I got 6 months clean now. I lost everything- drugs can take everything, health, hope, relationships. I am not the same man I was before 2003, and when I get on my Kaw now, it takes me back to that free and happy young man I was. When life was ahead of me. Now I am 46, and the most beautiful, healthy, admirable, thing I got going--- is my 30 year old Kawasaki.

Glad to hear you are fighting the demons and staying sober. I have a shirt that says " You will never find a motorcycle in a psychiatrists parking lot" riding is my therapy always has been always will be.

You talking about having your Honda at 14 brings back memerories for me too. I had a 71 CL175 when I was 14. I can still se that funky exhaust under my leg.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
26 May 2010 09:12 #371035 by 9am53
What my Kaw means to me...

My bike is the usual things to me, a means to get away, be free of everything, etc. But the biggest thing that my bike gives me is the satisfaction that my more-or-less academic job doesn't give me. I don't fix things for a living, but I love fixing and learning with my hands, and my bike gives me an outlet to do this. The simplicity of the machine has enabled me to fix and maintain it and make it my own, then I can ride around and feel as proud as any father out there.