i was learning... OKAY!?!?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Apr 2010 19:05 #364323 by Kitten Tooth
i was learning... OKAY!?!? was created by Kitten Tooth
well, on one sunny beautiful afternoon around 6:00 PM there we sat in the living room watching TV at my grandmas house and hanging out. My uncle joey told my dad that we needed to move our bikes so he could get out of the driveway with his minivan. My dad told me to go outside and move the bikes up around the van to the end of the driveway, in front of the van. I wend outside to go do that. I grasped the bars of my dad's beautiful 1981 KZ1000LTD. I leaned it off of it's kickstand and flipped the stand up and rolled it to the end of the driveway, slapped the kickstand back down and leaned it back down on it. No problem at all. Note, i was only 14 so that bike was kind of heavy. Then i turn to my bike. My 1982 Suzuki GS300L street bike, my first bike. I was about halfway through my first summer of riding and i was no master, but i hadn't crashed once and i had all of the basics down COMPLETELY. I was wonderful at cornering and shifting without the motor even sounding different when i switched gears. I was good. I figured, since nobody else was outside and i had the key because it was my bike, i would tear ass down the gravel alley way across the lot behind the house. I did my evil deed and went around the block to circle into the driveway and pull up behind my dad's bike. As i was pulling up, i was coming up on it just a wee bit too fast and i was on wet grass. I thought, "oh the front break won't lock no matter what". I had very lockable drum breaks on bike but i didn't really know that at the time. I pulled the lever in and the bike whipped right out from under me. I rolled across the ground and caught a glimpse of my bike sliding across the grass on its side and bumping into my dad's bike, which then rolled it off the the kickstand, causing it to fall over. I jumped up almost as soon as i hit the ground and ran to go shut my bike off, which was running on its side. I then ran to my dad's bike and braced myself for the obstacle ahead. 500 to 600 pounds... dry weight, and i was all by myself. i grabbed the forks firmly and pulled the bike straight up all by myself. Don't know how:unsure: then i slapped the kickstand down and set it down on the stand. I then ran to my bike, preying that nobody was looking out the window of my grandma's house and watching this catastrophe. I grabbed my bike and pulled it up as well, it was a little bit lighter, and put the stand down and leaned it over. I popped my side panel back on that had come off after falling over and then went to my dad's bike and carefully inspected for damage. Nothing was broken:woohoo: I quickly walked back inside the house and cringed when my dad playfully asked me if i dropped it... I said no and hated myself for lying. as we pulled away after leaving, i watched my dad adjust his bar-end mirror on the left side and i felt horrible. When i told him, he was pissed... at the fact that MY bike had fallen all the way over. We had a long talk about being careful and the summer went on without any more problems. This was last summer, 2009.

Thanks for reading and i hope you guys don't think I'm a total noob,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2010 19:28 #364328 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
i did much worse things during my learning curve! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
29 Apr 2010 19:44 #364333 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
I have some old stories when I was young to. Kinda put a smile on my face while I was reading it.

At least the only thing hurt was your pride. Glad you and the bikes are alright

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
29 Apr 2010 20:13 #364337 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got to the end of a wet/grassy drive at my friends place and tried to negotiate a small posthole very slowly. Only to accidentally blip the throttle a little to hard while I was leaning... Long story short. I spun the rear right out from underneath myself and lay at the end of the driveway laughing my fat a$$ off for about 5 minutes.

I had to laugh cause there was like 6 people watching me!

Shtuff happens!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
29 Apr 2010 20:42 #364344 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
that's not too bad.
someday i might tell the story of me head first in the recycle bin.

we were all noobs once.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
29 Apr 2010 21:08 #364348 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
Good story, and fairly well written. You definantly get credit in my book for putting yourself out there. Good lessons to be learned for a young man.

1)Wet grass + moving motorcycle = you on your ass
2)Learn when to use the "shift" key. :laugh: JK
3)Don't screw up someone elses bike when you go down.
4)Don't lie to dad. He always knows.
5)Wear a helmet. You never know when you'll eat it in your own driveway.

Keep up the good work. OBTW, I wish my dad would have allowed me to get a KZ1000 when I was 15.

6)Thank your dad for being a cool guy. You'll make his day.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
29 Apr 2010 21:36 - 29 Apr 2010 21:37 #364351 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
Great story KT. Good man for coming clean with your Dad. Telling your story, you're probably going to save another from doing the same thing. :)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2010 21:37 by Tony.

More
29 Apr 2010 21:46 #364352 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
Nice story LOL_ my parents hated bikes, I had to leave my first bike I bought with odd-jobs money at my best friends house and never even told my ma I had it LOL- an old Can-Am 550. I binned it bad one day on an old Alaskan trail, and really roughed myself up good- bike was fine though. Told my ma I fell out of a tree I was climbing- my shoulder was in a sling for a week. Ma still thinks I fell out of a tree. I am 45 now, by the way- I was 13 then LOL

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Apr 2010 04:46 #364376 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
2 summers ago when I first got my bike (550 spectre) I was at my buddies place showing it off. My buddy shawn was like "let me take it for a spin" ...famous last words. He assured me he knew what he was doing and he went around the house. He never left frist gear, and never went faster than 10 kilometers an hour, but as he approached to bring the bike back he locked up the front brake and dropped it like it's hot. I didn't know you could drop a bike going that slow, but he did, and tore up his shoulder and was out of work for months...but we all made fun of him anyways. He was 25 years old, so don't feel bad KT!

More
30 Apr 2010 10:21 #364443 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
She was also learning. On whose bike?? :silly:

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
30 Apr 2010 10:24 #364444 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
This student is just as good. :laugh:

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• RaeRae
  • User
  • Smart @ss white girl!
More
30 Apr 2010 11:26 - 30 Apr 2010 11:30 #364450 by RaeRae
Replied by RaeRae on topic i was learning... OKAY!?!?
OMG Otto, please tell me you didn't know those people so I don't feel so bad for cracking up!!! I so totally just screwed my mascara from laughing so hard!! Truly learning to ride is a serious issue though, but I think it was the guys laughing on the second vid that got to me!!!

Being a NOOB to street riding, my biggest hurdle was wanting to plant my foot when cornering/turning, as on dirt.

Can anyone say DUMB ASS! :laugh:

I do remember when my mom nagged me until I went out and and tried to ride her Honda ST1100 when I was about 27 and had barely looked at a bike in years. She put me at the end of about a 100 yard deadend road and faced me towards a busy ass main road in Phoenix and let me loose. That bike was intimidating as hell then, needless to say I got off the road a bit in the loose dirt and fish-tailed. Once I got the bike stopped after about 30 yards, I threw the kick stand down and told her she could have that shit! :laugh:

Didn't ride again til about 2 months ago! Now, you can't hardley keep me off it! :woohoo:

Thanks for sharing KT

Rae B)

OWN:
82 KZ550 LTD (work in progress)
81 550 GPz (work in progress)
81 KZ550A (parts bike)
91 750 Honda Nighthawk
WANT:
One in every size and color! =)
Euharlee, GA by way of Glendale, AZ
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 11:30 by RaeRae.