Helmets

More
10 Apr 2010 19:14 #359824 by ditchdriver
Replied by ditchdriver on topic Helmets
im glad i have lloked at this post cause if it wasnt for all of yaall i would have bought one of those half face helmets im glad i didnt have to find out the hard why when i get one its gonna be a full face all they way thanks guys for the info

1982 kz 550 ltd
Grand Forks, ND

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2010 20:16 #359836 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Helmets
I recently read an article about how the ECE,DOT and SNELL are all going to adopt a new standard for 2010 that will take head weight vs. Size into consideration and they will all be in line with each other. One of the main benefits is that manufacturers won't have to make helmets for each standard they will be able to make one that meets the new standard whether it be ECE, DOT or the new SNELL-2010 standard. Iyt seems like a common sense thing to do and maybe we as consumers will see a benefit price wise. Who knows?

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
10 Apr 2010 21:21 - 11 Apr 2010 06:24 #359850 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Helmets
Full face all the way for me too! When I went into the car at 60mph on the freeway a couple years ago it definitally saved my nogin! Not only did it get really scarred up but when I tried it on afterwards it was really loose side to side which means it compressed and fractured. But it saved me. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2010 06:24 by Bluemeanie.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
10 Apr 2010 21:33 #359853 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Helmets
N0NB wrote:

hardr0ck68 wrote:

Any of you folks read the anti-snell articles on the inter-web? LIke anything else take them with a grain of salt, that said those articles have me convinced; my next lid will be a euro standard/ dot helmet. I will only wear a snell helmet from now on if it is also ece 22-15 approved...

Is the ECE 22-15 a standard that requires testing by a third party? If not, then it is no better than DOT. I'll trust my noggin to a helmet that has actually been tested and so far that is Snell.

So you believe that DOT does not test any of the helmets they certify. I know the company is required to do the testing and they tell the DOT that it passed, but I can't believe DOT doesn't test a couple hundred helmets randomly each year to ensure that the manufacturers are being honest.

What I read about the Snell standards basically says that they are designed to withstand an impact so intense that you are probably dead from other injuries anyways... and to withstand that amount of force Snell approved helmets commonly submit your brain to 200-300G's which seriously increases the chance of brain damage.

I figure if I hit a telephone pole at 80mph it is just my time, but if I low-side at 40mph I would like to have a non-scrambled brain.

The Euro standards go farther than DOT and state lower allowable g-force loads transmitted to you noodle. I have noticed that all of the 2010 Icon lids are Euro approved and not Snell... so it looks like Icon or Shark will be getting my $$ shortly.

All that said; full face or nothing (at least with nothing I would expect to Die quickly, no need to linger bleeding out on the pavement without a face in a half helmet!)

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
10 Apr 2010 22:16 #359857 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic Helmets
if you cover isn't it worth covering completely ? smart thing using a full face , or modular .

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

More
11 Apr 2010 06:01 #359881 by wes_scooter
Replied by wes_scooter on topic Helmets
full face for sure, i've taken large bugs and rocks to the shield. also sometimes the cheaper helmets can be noisy, the better ones have less wind noise

76' kz900
70' yamaha R5
2006 wr450f

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
11 Apr 2010 06:06 #359883 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Helmets
and gloves too...i ripped both of my palms half off doing 30 mph in 88....it sucked for almost two months....gloves!!!!!!!everytime always....the helmets a no brainer....shoei...arai...simpson...agv...are all trusted names.....oh and my helemt was designed by folks who race bikes...not cars...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife