Ebay Scam Question

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
12 Mar 2010 16:34 #352968 by Kawickrice
Ebay Scam Question was created by Kawickrice
I am going to generalize this because something is confusing and the deal is not final.

I bid on an item last week won the auction. The seller has an excellent feedback rating with a very large number of sales.

The seller put in the ad, Any one with a low feedback (I will not mention the actual number) will have thier bid canceled. My positive feedback surpassed his requirements. According to the bid history a few of the first bidders had thier bids canceled due to not meeting his reqiurements of a certain number of feedbacks.

There were two qualified bidders at the end of the auction, me and someone else. It looks like the first bidders ran up the price then got canceled.

My question is if the earlier bids were null and void did they play a roll in an inflated price? I had my max bid and won.

I payed for the item last week and for some reason paypal has a hold on the payment. I do not want to contact the seller and piss him off and wait forever for my item or have ebay get involved and prolong it even longer. The seller has not collected the money and the item has not been shipped. Has anyone had paypal withhold payment and if so why?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2010 16:42 #352969 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Ebay Scam Question
No those bids did not affect the price at all once a bid is removed weather by the seller or buyer that bid is no longer in the average. Everything would start from "0" If anything it would hurt him because he could use other bidders to inflate the price which is actually quite common.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
12 Mar 2010 17:48 #352984 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Ebay Scam Question
somethings rotten in denmark.......when you mention ebay and paypal you are talking the same entity....apparently
the cash or payment is being held for a reason...could be a shill bidder deal....a buddy of my brother-in-law got nabbed for shill bidding.....ebay employs an army of people
looking for wrongdoing....i would contact paypal and ask whats up....

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Mar 2010 19:58 #352998 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Ebay Scam Question
+1

Sounds like you are caught up in a shill bidding investigation. I had this happen one time on a boat. Action ended at 11:00pm, and someone aggressively outbid me. Then the seller sent me an email 5 min. after the auction ended to tell me that the other buyer backed out, but he would let me have the boat for my last bid. I told him to take a long walk off a short pier!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Mar 2010 00:39 - 13 Mar 2010 00:42 #353029 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Ebay Scam Question
example:

i see a sparkplug i wanna bid on....i see my bid of 2$ is rolling along ...suddenly i see i'm outbid....

i click on the auctions...number of bids...for this plug it shows 2 bids.....i click on the competitors privacy call sign on the bidders shown...it shows that he has bid on 5 items with "this" seller and it is 80% of his actual bid records for the latest period shown....

i have always thought this must be a phantom bidder...whats to stop me from opening a side account to jack my sales items bids up and registering under my dogs name with another computer and address????

i stop bidding when i see a situation like this...

i have had sellers tell me that i need to cancell my pay-pal and resend payment because pay-pal is tellijng them they can't access funds i sent...or they put a wrong # or letter in their recieve funds slot..
i have had to do this repeatedly for a few sales...i always get trust issues when this happens and the pay-pal recnet payments and credits on "my" paypal can get confusing when the same payment gets cancelled and resent a few times....

if the buyer has good feedback i "never' hesitate to contact and explain why i'm confused..almost always they share the same concerns...and they are having a problem too on the same auction....

probably just a glitch...

i have only had one dishonest transaction on e-bay and really the seller may have been on the legit...i camcelled and never got my item....good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 13 Mar 2010 00:42 by trianglelaguna.

More
13 Mar 2010 05:08 #353049 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Ebay Scam Question
I would contact the seller and see if they knew what was up. I buy lots of stuff on ebay and never have a problem. Read the previous comments to this seller and see if that gives any clues...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
13 Mar 2010 05:08 #353050 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Ebay Scam Question
Paypal invokes their own 'mystery' rules on some transactions. We had them freeze a payment from a customer when the customer was a repeat customer and had never contacted paypal about the transaction. Paypal claimed it was a suspicious transaction and they ended up cancelling our payment even though we had shipped product. Fortunately the customer repaid with a credit card.

I called Paypal 5 or 6 times and could never get a straight answer on why they froze the money and why they cancelled the transaction.

Personally, I would rather not deal with Paypal. They are not governed by the FED and can do as they please on things as they are not a bank. Worse, because they are not a bank, all their banking and credit card transactions are farmed out to banks to process for them - this just means an additional set of fingers in the pie, and more that can go wrong. Their buyer protection is worthless.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
13 Mar 2010 05:23 #353051 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Ebay Scam Question
I had a similar problem with PayPal. A customer sent an Echeck and after 7 days PayPal cleared it. I sent the item to Germany item was $125 and shipping was another $35 because of size and wt. Three weeks later PayPal withdrew that money from my account because they said the German bank canceled the transaction. They never explained anything so I was and am out of $160. So now when I deal with any transaction from Germany I hold the Item for an entire month before I ship it.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
13 Mar 2010 05:42 #353053 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Ebay Scam Question
I have been dealing with Ebay for a long time. Ebay owns a 1/4 of Craigslist and Ebay owns Paypal from what I understand. I felt like Ebay was forcing me into Paypal so all I did was buy and pay thru seller's account with my credit card. The other day I got a message that I exceeded my Paypal limit of buying even though I didn't have Paypal. Well I joined, kind of like it as it is secure and a lot of other places are accepting it. I always check feedback and contact the buyer or seller as I need to. Never click on a link especially thru your email. You all probably know, but if it is from Ebay then it will be in your Ebay messages. I used to buy some $20 Gold eagles and one time I bought an old silver trade dollar just when the auction was ending. I didn't pay attention to the shipping($75) because the auction was ending real quick on the .99 cent auction. Well I won, so I sent an airmail money order which cost about $2.00 for the money order and $2.00 for the air mail. I told them here is payment and for them to keep the coin. I told Ebay and the said this was OK as long as it was OK with the seller. I said I don't care if it was OK with seller as I paid for what I bid on. I didn't bid on shipping and you are always allowed to actually pick up your item face to face if you want to. Of course I wasn't going to Hong Kong. You can usually spot the scammmers by their wording or spelling and if it smells like a rat, then it probably is a rat. Don't let your emotions get into the heat of the bidding as you will pay too much (personal experience - lol).

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
13 Mar 2010 06:05 #353058 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Ebay Scam Question
I must say that in over 5 years of dealing with Ebay & Paypal I have had few problems with either. On a couple of occasions I have had to contact them and found them helpful with any problem issues being resolved quickly. The usual problem is sellers either not shipping items or very slow to ship.
I buy a lot from the USA but avoid Canada as the shipping is too slow from there to the UK. Taiwan is quick too.
I avoid buying items from Germany as not only are the items very expensive but many do not take Paypal and it costs me 25 dollars to send an international money transfer. Paypal is great for me buying from the USA.
I suppose that my main grumble with Ebay is the use of Auction Sniper and other like programmes that bid in the last few seconds. I admit that I do use it sometimes to buy from the US due to the time difference and I am sure not going to wait up until 4am to make final bids.
Tommotbird

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

More
13 Mar 2010 07:35 #353074 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Ebay Scam Question
My own experience similar to jacking the price at the end is this....

Was bidding on a brand new ZX636 front OEM fender... I already knew the OEM price so wasn't going to go that route...

Anyhoot, within an hour of the time end, someone out bid me at $20 over OEM price... No being a smart asshole I am.... :laugh: Said, all yours.....

Well I get an e-mail from the seller the next hour informing me the buyer canceled on the deal...

Basically it was this, he had a friend jack up the price on their quote to see if I'd bite. I informed the seller this, I was the winning bid at $40 before I was out bid by $40...

If you want to sell it to me for $40 and for the fact of the game play going on here... $40 is the price and YOU NOW PAY shipping....

Look at my avatar.... $40 for a OEM brand new in the OEM wrapping ZX636 front fender.... B)

It's just the way the game plays folks, 90% all do it... You have to know when to fold the cards or play there bluff.... ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
13 Mar 2010 07:51 - 13 Mar 2010 07:56 #353079 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Ebay Scam Question
I love to snipe, the best I have done is win with 2 seconds on the clock. I know how much time it takes to bid and then to confirm. I missed some powdercoated valve covers because my computer was running slow. I emailed the seller and asked him to do another auction of the same. I took off the whole day from work just so I could win this auction and I did. I sold a $10,000 Nova on there and I have bought a $9000 bike on there also. The only problem I had was buying some headlight ears for an old Honda 750K model and they were rusted pieces of junk. No problem if the seller didn't offer a return policy, but he did. One night I called and talked with him and we got it on over the phone. I told him I researched his location and I would personally see him face to face in Colorado when I went to visit my sister (I am in Texas). Short story I got my money back. I even bought one bike and researched the seller. I know what his house looked like, what building permits he applied for, how many kids he had, etc.. Internet can be a useful tool(lol). I also remind sellers that I want my feedback or I usually don't buy from them anymore. Give me my feedback(good or bad) as long as I deserve it. I have something like 125 feedback all positive, but 1, as I gave her negative feedback first for bidding and not paying.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..
Last edit: 13 Mar 2010 07:56 by sbc1320. Reason: spelling