first time to pull an engine

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
04 Mar 2010 07:41 #351210 by cobura
first time to pull an engine was created by cobura
I'm posting this here because it's not in relation to any Z, or even kawasaki for that matter. I just love this forum, dont want to go anywhere else.

Next project has begun!!! But is in bad shape. I realized that due to water sitting in the engine, it is seized up. It will be my first time to really take an engine apart. I was hoping I could hear some techniques from you all for getting a seized engine unstuck. I'm worried that once I open up the engine I wont know what to do next. Any advice would be helpful!

Will post pictures soon

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2010 09:15 - 04 Mar 2010 09:17 #351233 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic first time to pull an engine
Rings may be a rusty mess and stuck against the cylinder walls.

For each cylinder.

Spray PBBlaster around spark plug and allow to soak overnight. Some swear by other penetrants, such as Kroil. Others prefer a 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone.

Remove spark plug.

Blow compressed air through spark plug hole to expel water from inside cylinder.

Put about a tablespoon of PBBlaster or AFT or Marvel Mystery Oil or Evapo-Rust or Yamaha Ring-Free through spark plug hole where it can sit inside the cylinder and work towards releasing the rusted stuck rings. Having never experimented with it, I would be tempted to try the ATF-Acetone mixture.

Be patient and allow the soaking to work for several days or a week. In hopes that the frozen parts may loosen enough to rotate the crankshaft. Or loosen enough to at least permit disassembly of the top end.

Hope this will help get things off to a good start.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Mar 2010 09:17 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.