Clutch cable repeat performance

• EL Architecto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jan 2010 07:37 #341565 by EL Architecto
Clutch cable repeat performance was created by EL Architecto
Hi all,
This feels like a stupid question but...I snapped my clutch cable in mid summer 2009, I replaced it and in early December it (the new cable) broke again!Same place as last time, the head snapped of of the cable from the handlebars.
I would think that this is not a normal occurrence, what could be causing this to happen so fast? The cable is not overly tight, it has a little play in it. I set it to engage early so as to not put undue stress on it by having to pull level all the way to the grip to shift.
Am I wrong in this? Should I set it to engage later, or does it matter? Also should I be putting any kind of grease where it attaches to clutch lever on the handlebars? What lube should I use for the length of the cable itself? Would graphite work?
Also I replaced the tach and speedo cables, respectively, at the same time and the speedo cable broke really soon as well? What the hells going on with my bike? Did I pick up a road gremlin somewhere?
I called a local shop to find out if they carried my particular cables in stock (They did not)she did tell me to bring in the cable and the head to them as they apparently can fix them, has anyone ever done that?
Does it really work? Or should I just buy a new one from Z1 in case the new one I just put in breaks prematurely? Thanks guys!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2010 08:07 #341567 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Clutch cable repeat performance
You need to check the knurled adjuster on the handlebar clutch perch. Some of these have very rough edges that chew into the cable. If it is rough, use a small, fine file to clean it up.

You also want to make sure the cable routing is correct. If the cable immediately turns coming out of the adjuster, you are putting stress on the cable.

Check and lubricate the clutch mechanism that's inside the sprocket cover on the LH side of the engine. The grease in these will loose it's effectiveness over the years.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
02 Jan 2010 08:08 #341568 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch cable repeat performance
Lube is very important, but it seems odd that two would break so soon and in the same way. Each cable end needs a bit of light grease and the cable must be lubricated as well. To lube the cable, you can use something like Cable Life that comes with a snazzy little attachement that makes the process quick, easy, and relatively mess-free. You can also do the old, slow, mess-prone funnel and motor oil trick as outlined in most manuals. Speedometer cables seem to do better with some light grease, as outlined in most manuals.
I understand that cable ends can be re-crimped, depending on the particular design. I have not used one, so I have no idea how well it might work. I suspect that would be determined by the knowledge and skill of the tech.
A factory shop manual would be a good investment, too.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
02 Jan 2010 08:10 #341569 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch cable repeat performance
Dang, Jeff types fast. :laugh:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough