• User
More
25 Dec 2009 22:22 #340721 by likes2gofast2009
Something to think about... was created by likes2gofast2009

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Dec 2009 23:39 #340729 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Something to think about...
This is a good psa from Mr. Doohan. I tried to have an intelligent discussion with a Zx-10r.net member about this very subject, and I wish I had this ad for a visual example. He seemed to think that it was OK to run 180 mph on public roads with a child as a passenger. My point was that it doesn't matter that the road "seems" uninhabited. As soon as the bike becomes unstuck it becomes a 180 mph, 575 lb. missile with you attached that is taking a straight line for whatever is on the side of the road. Personally, I don't care if you stick your head into a bridge piling at 180 mph, I figure that you just won the Darwin Award, but if you substitute my wife's car for the bridge piling, then I CARE! Force = 0.5 x mass x velocity X velocity. It's that velocity squared that causes the exponental rise in the force curve and why they say that speed kills.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
26 Dec 2009 00:42 #340732 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Something to think about...
ditto B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 Dec 2009 06:13 #340737 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Something to think about...
And playgrounds are really out!!!

All three of us brothers had the opportunity to serve on the local volunteer fire department. Seeing a few crash results up close sobers one up to what can happen. Your imagination cannot do it justice. Motorcycle accidents are by far the most horrific in my experience And the majority of those involve stupidity on the part of the rider or other riders. :(

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
26 Dec 2009 06:28 #340739 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Something to think about...
Here in Az, it's not so much the crash that is the problem in motorcycle accidents... Don;t get me wrong here, what was mentioned in the clip and others writing holds soooooooo true...

Wife's co-workers husband is a paramedic... Here's what he had to add to this....

The wrecks are one thing but the rider/passenger is another... See here in Az, helmets or riding gear isn't mandatory... With that in mind, due to heat indexes, these knucleheads prefer riding in shorts, with sandals :blink: , tank tops and no helmets.

It's 115*F out, how hot do you think that asphalt is?
That's right boys & girls, the rider crashes, laying on the asphalt and burns/sticks to the asphalt! :ohmy: :pinch: The paramedics literally have to cut their skin off to get them to the hos[ital now for crash injuries but burn and skin grafts as well.... :X

All in all, be safe, ride smart and wear the damn protections...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
26 Dec 2009 10:48 - 26 Dec 2009 11:01 #340753 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Something to think about...
Old Man Rock wrote:

That's right boys & girls, the rider crashes, laying on the asphalt and burns/sticks to the asphalt! :ohmy: :pinch: The paramedics literally have to cut their skin off to get them to the hospital now for crash injuries but burn and skin grafts as well.... :X

:ohmy: Thanks for my first "cringe" of the day OMR!

I'm going to go lay down in the snow, now, just to get that melted-cheese-pizza feeling out of my back. :)
Last edit: 26 Dec 2009 11:01 by loudhvx.

• testarossa
  • User
More
26 Dec 2009 22:38 #340790 by testarossa
It never ceases to amaze me about how many people will go barhopping with their only safety gear being a tiny bell. The same guys will tell countless stories of how many friends that they have lost. Learning not to be a squid can be soo painful.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
27 Dec 2009 06:41 - 27 Dec 2009 06:42 #340811 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Something to think about...
I was a dumbass 2 1/2 years ago when I had my accident. It was 102* when I left work so I strapped my mesh jacket to the seat and left for home. When I went down on the freeway I was lying on my right side with my right arm under my head on the freeway. It was concret not asphalt but I still got 3rd degree burns on my arm from that. Now I wear that jacket no matter how hot it is!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2009 06:42 by Bluemeanie.

More
29 Dec 2009 17:34 #341139 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Something to think about...
The picture of the guy on the playground ride reminded me of a guy at work who was/is big into scooters. He showed me a video of a bunch of guys at a meet he was at. They were at a hotel with an empty swimming poos that was round. They got their scooters into the pool and raced around inside like those guys in a wall of death exhibition. AT NIGHT! Using only the lights on their scooters to see. Weird to see lights going around in circles but funny as hell. Back to the original subject matter.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• testarossa
  • User
More
29 Dec 2009 22:39 #341161 by testarossa
Bluemeanie wrote:

I was a dumbass 2 1/2 years ago when I had my accident. It was 102* when I left work so I strapped my mesh jacket to the seat and left for home. When I went down on the freeway I was lying on my right side with my right arm under my head on the freeway. It was concret not asphalt but I still got 3rd degree burns on my arm from that. Now I wear that jacket no matter how hot it is!

I love the sticker on your pack of cigs. "Don't just sit there" Seems perfectly ironic considering your state at the time.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN