Battery booster question!

More
18 Dec 2009 16:29 #339702 by tomsweb1
Battery booster question! was created by tomsweb1
I recieved a battery booster for my birthday, which I am grateful for, but I don't have much use for if it can't charge batteries.
I'm well versed in electrical theory, and can't think of any reason why it wouldn't, while it was plugged in.
I know some of you guys out there know alot, about everything, it seems. So, I ask you, is there any reason why I can't?

Thanks in advance!

1978 CB400A Hondamatic
1983 CB550SC Nighthawk
1978 CB750A Hondamatic
1982 KZ1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2009 16:49 #339708 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Battery booster question!
There are possible reasons why a battery booster would be a bad choice for a battery charger, but to be specific you'd have to be specific about what the booster is actually doing.

Float chargers actually put out pulsed DC in the form of a stepped-down, rectified, AC sine from the wall outlet. This type does not need a regulator as it lets the battery "float"to wahtever DC voltage it wants to be at. As the battery's voltage goes up, the duty cycle of current naturally reduces so the average current to the battery reduces. This is because the valleys in the voltage wave are below the battery voltage,

WIth a float, you can let the battery sit on the charger for some time longer than necessary without doing any major harm to the battery.

A booster might force a sustained, high-DC voltage to the battery. That would cook the battery, even if you put a resistor in series with the charger, if you leave the battery on too long.

But you really need to know more about the booster to make a decision on what to do and how to modify it. The booster may also use a lot of wall power which would be a waste.

I'd say sell the booster and buy a cheap charger.

More
18 Dec 2009 16:59 #339711 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Battery booster question!
small 1 amp trickle type chargers are very resonable in price right now they have all kinds of cool functions like the ability to do a limited amount of desulphation and also have the ability to sense when the battery is fully charged so it wont overcharge and boil off the battery like the old days of manuel chargers, keep the booster you will never know when that may come in handy. and go pick up one of these new type chargers well worth the extra dough.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
18 Dec 2009 21:05 #339752 by tomsweb1
Replied by tomsweb1 on topic Battery booster question!
alright guys, all I need to know! I think I will keep it, like you say, and buy a cheapie. Thanks!

1978 CB400A Hondamatic
1983 CB550SC Nighthawk
1978 CB750A Hondamatic
1982 KZ1300

More
18 Dec 2009 21:16 #339753 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic Battery booster question!
I've three bikes, two small sports cars and two trucks on Battery Tenders. Great little devices, I'm very happy with them. I use two regular size tenders to keep the trucks charged up, one Junior tender each for the bikes, and also got (on sale) this tacky HD branded twin Junior which I use to keep two small sports cars charged up. One of the Juniors is waterproof for outdoor use.

Were I to have just one, I'd spend the extra scratch and get the normal battery tender which can also be used to keep full size car batteries charged up. You don't have to have them on all the time. If you aren't lazy (I am), you can switch the Tender around as needed. When I started out, I had one tender and was moving it from bike to bike every week.

However, if you drain a battery below a certain level of charge, the Battery Tender won't cut it, you'll have to get a regular high amp charger instead.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
20 Dec 2009 09:43 #339988 by tomsweb1
Replied by tomsweb1 on topic Battery booster question!
Cool! I bought an automatic 2/6/12 amp charger yesterday, on sale, half price...

I love Canadian Tire!

Thanks again, guys!

1978 CB400A Hondamatic
1983 CB550SC Nighthawk
1978 CB750A Hondamatic
1982 KZ1300