timing lights ,any prefrences and why????

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Dec 2009 18:34 #337350 by trianglelaguna
timing lights ,any prefrences and why???? was created by trianglelaguna
so i bought a cheap timing light ...real inexpensive at a "freight" store and it's strobe kinda shows up inside my timing housing ...but kinda does'nt ...which is not so good when your a low skill level mechanic like i am, i would dig a btter /stronger pulsing light.....

Do folks have any favorites and can you give names ,reasons ect....or will any old timing light work as well as a fancy more $ one??...

I plan on buying the best one i will ever need for cars and bikes and want to get a good sturdy one and a one time purchase.....

Oh and i want a carb sync sticks too...any tips there would be helpful ..thanks ,,,craig..

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2009 18:47 #337352 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
trianglelaguna wrote:

so i bought a cheap timing light ...real inexpensive at a "freight" store and it's strobe kinda shows up inside my timing housing ...but kinda does'nt ...which is not so good when your a low skill level mechanic like i am, i would dig a btter /stronger pulsing light.....

Do folks have any favorites and can you give names ,reasons ect....or will any old timing light work as well as a fancy more $ one??...

I plan on buying the best one i will ever need for cars and bikes and want to get a good sturdy one and a one time purchase.....

Oh and i want a carb sync sticks too...any tips there would be helpful ..thanks ,,,craig..

craig,
i m a knuckle-dragger and the "freight cheapy" gets the job done.....as far as carb synching, i bought a set of guages off ebay,i think it was like a 100 bucks....i m all for z-1 , and have bought a LOT from them, but when it s the same set for a lot less, well, the loyalty is in the wallet.......just my .02......

More
03 Dec 2009 19:29 - 03 Dec 2009 19:29 #337366 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
I use a 40 year old el-cheapoo passive timing light that fits inline with one of the spark plugs. Seems to do the job for me but then again I have never used one of those cool, expensive, chromed jobbies with built-in power and all. :dry:

However, I did buy a new chromed 4-Gauge set of Vacuum Gauges. They worked very well for me and I found them easy to use. The results were beyond my expectations. B)

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2009 19:29 by bill_wilcox100.

More
03 Dec 2009 21:33 #337384 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
For carb synching I use morgan carbtune. Bit pricey, but more than worth the price. Just have a cheap timing light

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
03 Dec 2009 22:34 #337395 by Martynbiker
Replied by Martynbiker on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
Get a set of these carb synch Guages, I have seen em on sale at over $200 for the exact same ones.

I had a set before they were stolen and they even have
an adjustment to slow the vac pull down so the guage dampens and doesnt fluctuate wildly.

the best set I have ever used. well worth the $100

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carburetor-Synch...5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

If you cant fix it with a Hammer....... it's gotta be an Electrical problem...

More
04 Dec 2009 03:26 #337422 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
Martynbiker wrote:

Get a set of these carb synch Guages, I have seen em on sale at over $200 for the exact same ones.

I had a set before they were stolen and they even have
an adjustment to slow the vac pull down so the guage dampens and doesnt fluctuate wildly.

the best set I have ever used. well worth the $100

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carburetor-Synch...5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

same set i have from the same place...that guys prices arent too bad...i bought 3 or 4 things from him...

More
04 Dec 2009 04:01 #337424 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
Was it an inductive clamp-on type?
Sometimes those types care which way you clamp the plug wire. If it doesn't work one way, flip the clamp over.

I use a Sunpro timing light with a built-in timing knob. For most old cars and KZs, you don't need the timing knob, and in fact, it can mess you up if the knob gets bumped without you knowing it.

Also, the degrees on the timing knob do not correspond to crank degrees on the KZ.

More
04 Dec 2009 09:23 - 04 Dec 2009 09:26 #337459 by Tony
I use a morgan carbtune and it works well. Fast shipping too.

x
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Dec 2009 09:26 by Tony.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
04 Dec 2009 12:27 #337502 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
Timing light:

Actron Digital - love it.

A Morgan Carbtune Pro for syncing.

There's no subtitute for either in my mind.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2009 13:09 - 04 Dec 2009 13:25 #337505 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
time it the old fasion way,put front wheel against a wall and put a load on the motor to see how it does! :laugh: i knew a drunk idiot years ago who used to scrap cars.he had a rod running through the firewall of his old chevy towtruck clamped on to his distibutar so he could adjust his timing by how much of a load he had on the truck while he was going down the road. B) the guy was a hell of a bodyman/painter but hed get all f'd up on booze and become a total a$$hole to be around,i saw him take a sledge hammer to a 63 fairlane he spent 2-3 years building just needed paint! :S :blink: :dry: :huh: :ohmy: :unsure:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2009 13:25 by PLUMMEN.

More
04 Dec 2009 15:59 #337526 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
i still have a 30 yr old craftsman timing light....the kind that has the battery terminal clamps and a home made set of vacuum gauges with dampers...both still work like a charm

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
05 Dec 2009 07:55 #337597 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic timing lights ,any prefrences and why????
Morgan Carb tune & Gunson Color Tune... Can't get any better results than that...;)

I started with the analog gauges but the fluctuations caused concern.... Confirmed with the Morgans, yup, where not to spec as expected.... Pay the extra $50 and you'll see the difference...

Timing lights cheap or expensive, will work fine... I use the HF tools with Advance feature... $30 You can set the light for accurate advance degreeing.

"Set timing advance without a degree scale on your engine. Simply set the advance on the timing light and align the timing mark to the TDC indicator on your engine."

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40963

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments: