Here's something entertaining.

• Ironhorse
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com
More
01 Sep 2009 07:25 #318187 by Ironhorse
Here's something entertaining. was created by Ironhorse
Last Sunday was the "Best Of The West", a drag race, bike show and skills course over at the Speedway out in Irwindale, California. From the parking lot we were able to see flames from the SoCal fires as well as smell the smoke. Combined with the 110 degree heat, it made for a macabre setting.

Anyway attendees could enter their bike in a show, drag race, or run the skills course. For the skills course they had myself from Ride Like A Pro West Coast and Dominic Schreiber and Dave Fuller from Shiney Side Up Expert Motorcycle Training. Both Dom and Dave are motorcops with the LA Sheriffs office. It was basically the "Eliminator" course from motor school. It's a slow speed course with an ideal finishing time between 2 to 2:30. The slowest rider wins. The three of us ran riders through it and gave them tips and instructions. Some did GREAT, others not so. The course was designed for police bikes, so it was always entertaining when a sport bike tried it. One guy on a GSX 600 tried it and could not make the full lock tight turns. Now I know the bars on GSX 600 don't turn much anyway and the frame geometry is not designed for those tight turns, but I jumped on the bike anyway to "show him how it's done". Well I couldn't do it either. So Dominic says to me, "Mark you didn't take the correct angle on the turns, let me show you how it's done". Well he couldn't do it either. So Dave says, "Guys, I ride sport bikes, let ME show you how it's done". Well he couldn't do it either. Everyone was laughing at the "3 experts". Finally a rider who owns no car and is on a bike 100% of the time tried it. He made it. It was ugly looking but he made it. He won the trophy for the sport bike category. The winner for cruisers did it in 5:38 seconds on a Harley Softail. He will need a new clutch.

Well the crowds were smaller than expected, probably due to the fires, so we didn't sell any DVDs. I may get a few sign ups for up coming classes though. But all was not a loss. We had a fun time playing with the course. Most of the time I rode my Ultra and Dom was on his Dyna. But by far the most popular bike was one of my KZ1000 police bikes. Everyone had a ball riding that thing. We even caught a "Chippie" riding his BMW through the course. He snuck in when we weren't looking, So I let him ride by then I knocked a cone down behind him. As he made his way to the end I yelled "Hey, what happend here?". He turned his head to look at the "fallen" cone......and knocked over two of the exit cones. His partner busted out laughing along with the rest of the crowd.

By 1:30 the heat was getting to most folks and the small crowd made the vendors start leaving early. But it wasn't a total loss. There should be a picture of me on my Ultra riding the course in an upcoming Thunder Press.

Mark

Real learning begins after you know everything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Sep 2009 08:14 #318193 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Here's something entertaining.
Great story Thanks for sharing

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
01 Sep 2009 08:16 #318194 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Here's something entertaining.
greta write up......feels like being there...good writing...great story ,thanks for sharing it.....

they have a really big police bike exhibition/contest in pacific grove california each year and a ton of peace officers make the trip...it is whole day deal with one of the main streets closed and a course set up.... a lot of the cruiser folks attend and some really full tilt customs parked all over....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife