?s about turning an LTD 550 into a Zephyr clone

More
31 Aug 2009 04:49 #317805 by seanof30306
OK, so I need some informed advice. I'm sorry this is so long, but in order to get the advice I need, it's important that I lay out where I've been, and what my goals are.

Two years ago, I bought a '79 KZ650 B3 to use as a daily commuter. I'd gotten interested in hypermiling, and wanted to live a greener lifestyle. 95% of my driving is with me alone, and it just didn't make sense to use a 4,000 lb Jeep that gets 18mpg to transport myself around. My goal was to not only save on gas, but to put the fun back into driving myself around, as well. I've always loved KZ650s, I think they're absolutely beautiful, and nothing sounds as good as an I4 with a header. That might not seem like something that's very important, but that sound is actually an important part of the experience for me. If all I cared about was saving gas, I would've just bought a CRX HF or a Geo Metro, or even a scooter.

Anyone who has seen my many posts on here knows that @$%^!!! KZ650 has been a nightmare to me. To date, I've yet to go 500 miles on it without having to do a major repair. That aside, though, I also was uncomfortable with the heavy feel of the bike. In the past, I've always ridden big thumpers (TT500, XL350, SL350, etc.), so even a middleweight like the KZ650 feels really heavy to me.

About a year ago, I bought a '99 Suzuki DR350 to use as my daily rider. It gets 65 mpg when I honk around on it, and I can hypermile 75 mpg out of it easily, stock. It also handles unbelievably well, and I'd bet it would beat my KZ650 in the 1/8 mile; maybe even the 1/4 mile. The difference in the handling is incredible. I throw the bike around with total confidence, where I'm very tentative on the KZ650. I've picked up another set of wheels for the DR350. The hot setup for the sreet is to lace up a set of wider 17" hoops with sport bike tires. As well as it handles now, I can't imagine how much better it will handle with that setup.

I got my @#$%!!! KZ650 back a couple of weeks ago, and have actually gotten to ride it a bit. Doing so has allowed me to lose some of the frustration I've felt towards it due to all the grief I've had with the bike. When I bought my DR350, I shortest route to work on my 14 mile commute was by taking back streets for about half of it. The DR350 excelled at that, but it's definitely not a highway bike. I've since moved just a mile up the road, but I'm now 1/4 mile from a highway exit, so the best route to work is now all highway; much more suited to the KZ650.

I really enjoy riding that bike, and have actually found myself going for rides just for the fun of it, something I don't do on the DR350. I love throwing the DR350 into corners, but it's not that much fun to just cruise around on.

While I've begun to like the @#$%^!!! KZ650 again, though, I've realized it's just not the bike for me. I'm looking to get 55mpg+, and there's just now way for me to get that out of that @#$%!!! KZ650, even with hypermiling. Realistically, a bike like a GS500 would probably be much better suited for those goals, but it's not an I4, and even though I know an I4 is less efficient than a V-twin, that I-4 sound is important to me.

My first thought was a KZ550, but the A models don't have the sexy curves of the KZ650-750-900, etc. To me, they look angular. The LTDs, on the other hand, look so nose-high, and they don't have the duck tail, which I love.

A few months ago, I saw a 550 Zephyr, and absolutely loved it. To me, it's an updated KZ650. Just beautiful. What concerns me, though, is how few of them were sold in the US market. Finding parts and advice for one looks like it'd be a nightmare.

So, my question is, how tough would it be to get a zephyr-lile look out of a 550 LTD? Is the upward rake of the LTD versus the downward rake of an A-model caused by a difference in the frame, or longer forks, or a bigger front tire? What would be involved in fitting a duck tail to an LTD?

Is this the best way to go? Can I get a daily driver that looks as beautiful as a KZ650 or a ZR550, has that awesome I4 sound, and get 55+mpg out of a LTD550 without a ton of grief or money? If so, how?

Thanks

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2009 15:36 #318646 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic ?s about turning an LTD 550 into a Zephyr clone
bump

help please?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
02 Sep 2009 18:33 #318708 by KZ250LTD
Don't know much about them but I'd say that with the Zephyrs being fairly new
A- they're probably less prone to big problems
B- if you need regular maint parts Maw Kaw can probably still get them
C- the zephyr probably has more power and would be potentially much more reliable than an LTD. Should also have updated chassis, better tires/frame/susp/brakes etc.

Chances are that if you bought a LTD it may well become that @#$%^!!! LTD that you pour all your money into trying to keep it running as well as making it look like a Zephyr. I doubt that finding parts for a Zephyr would be much harder than finding parts for the LTD.

Just my $.02 but I'd say just buy a zephyr.

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.