to bob or not?

• junkyard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ride hard
More
18 Aug 2009 19:53 #314938 by junkyard
to bob or not? was created by junkyard
I am wanting to turn my stock 1978 kz650b into a bobber.
but i have no idea where to start any idea guys?

1978 kawasaki kz 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2009 20:47 #314949 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic to bob or not?
DONT, They dont make them any more. Keep it around, Turn a suzuki or yamaha to a "BOB"

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
19 Aug 2009 02:28 #314978 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic to bob or not?
mzandmz wrote:

DONT, They dont make them any more. Keep it around, Turn a suzuki or yamaha to a "BOB"

+1 DON´T:ohmy:

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
19 Aug 2009 03:22 #314980 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic to bob or not?
+1 on a vote of not. Find yourself an XS650, there's a LOT more out there to do one of those up right. IMHO the 650 frame just doesn't look right bobbed or chopped. Not to say it can't be done well, but you'll have a lot easier time making a bad ass bobber out of something like an XS.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
19 Aug 2009 04:28 #314982 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic to bob or not?
If it was junked, bare frame start, or a totaled POS then BOB away but yours is not! Too purdy for that...;)

Seriously, there's only one KZ I would even consider bobbing and that's a KZ1000 Police bike for it already has a front & rear that is similar to a bobbed theme.

But as we always say here, your bike hack away if this is truly what you desire...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
19 Aug 2009 04:41 #314984 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic to bob or not?
Bobbers are played out. Inlines never look right as a Bobber anyway. These inline fours have an entire look of there own. Thats why they keep going up in value. They mark a era. Even a 350 Four Honda commands a high dollar these days. I say leave it alone. Buy an old Triumph that has already been cut up and make it your own...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
19 Aug 2009 06:05 #315001 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic to bob or not?
+2 for no BOB.

KZs make terrible bobbers in the sense that they will never look thin and light. There is a 4 cyclinder engine in there to get in the way. An xs650 or KZ750 twin if you want a kawaski but not an inline motor bike. Then again to each is own you asked the question and we respond but really up to you to do what you want with your own bike. Good luck on the project.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
19 Aug 2009 08:03 #315018 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic to bob or not?
Keith,
If you're tired of the KZ650 why not sell it and buy something that needs a little work and would be more in keeping with the look you're after. Others have suggested a Yamaha XS650, which I think would make a better bobber. Not trying to offend anyone, but a big wide 4 cyl engine in a bobber (or cafe for that matter) looks awkward. Since you'll be making a bunch of changes you don't really need to worry about getting a Yama in pristine stock condition as long as the engine's ok, so the $$ will be low. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• junkyard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ride hard
More
19 Aug 2009 15:18 #315110 by junkyard
Replied by junkyard on topic to bob or not?
thank you everyone for the response...i think i will not cut in up...i do enjoy the way it looks it would look good bobbed to me but it runs like a champ and has no problems so i better leave it be..thanks to all

1978 kawasaki kz 650

More
28 Apr 2010 12:01 #363866 by lukeshoots
Replied by lukeshoots on topic to bob or not?
Meh...
Either way. It's your bike. I say make it unique to you. Unless of course you are concerned with resale value.

It's funny that I hear about bobbers being overdone. It must be a location thing. I live in Wisconsin and have yet to see one on our roads. That is my motivation to build one. My KZ440 gets here this weekend and begins the chop nearly immediately.

Not in any way saying that any of you guys are wrong at all.

I will agree though... If I had a choice for my donor bike (friend is basically giving it to me)it would certainly be a honda or yami. Much easier to find parts for. But building, fabricating and solving issues is 1/2 the reason one does a "bob" IMO.

More
28 Apr 2010 12:14 #363868 by mart13
Replied by mart13 on topic to bob or not?
bob it , bikes are a personal thing , its your bike and its you that will ride it , yes you might upset some people but it aint their bike is it

More
28 Apr 2010 12:58 #363873 by wompy5000
Replied by wompy5000 on topic to bob or not?
Check out www.wrenchmonkees.com/ and check out their bikes. These aren't bobbers or cafe style but have a great look all their own. I agree about the bobber style being "played out." Too many modern bikes have been styled to look old and sometimes can look ok but most times the two generations clash. On the other hand, a '52 HD panhead bobber would never go ot of style.

jpriderdesigns.blogspot.com