Accidentally redlined

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
13 Aug 2009 08:33 #313602 by 9am53
Accidentally redlined was created by 9am53
I got on the gas in 4th gear in my 1000 a couple days ago and my clutch all of a sudden engaged and my engine roared to redline before I managed to let go of the throttle. It was in the red for about 1 second. I fixed the throttle cable problem and rode home np. I had checked my oil level that day and I was good, so my parts were nice and lubed. Is this something that could cause catastrophic damage or do you think I should be fine. I runs fine now, doesn't seem any different then before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 08:56 #313619 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Accidentally redlined
How far into the redline? I run mine past 10,000 now and then....Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
13 Aug 2009 08:56 #313620 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Accidentally redlined
Knowing a little about Kaw engines your engine proberly went "WOW MAN THAT WAs COOL!!! DO IT AGAIN!" . Bouncin off redline a few times shouldn't hurt your engine. That also depends on its mileage, care and state of maintenance. Might have even blew out some carbon. Of course the guy behind you was pretty mad to have to dodge that Hans Solo sealed in Carbonite that projectiled out the exhaust.(JK) More concern about the spooky clutch!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
13 Aug 2009 09:13 #313630 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Accidentally redlined
my redline is 8500, and I got to about 10 I think, it was really quick though...I was just afraid that the red zone was kind of like really off limits...kinda like my girlfriend a quarter of the time :)

Yeah, it popped into what seemed like neutral, I clutched and shifted into 5th. I then tried to slow down and downshift to stop, but my clutch cable was floppy. On the fly while riding on the highway in the hardest rain I've ever seen I undid the screw in cable adjuster on the clutch lever and managed to get it to work enough to stop. Once pulled over I found the cable adjuster in the middle of the cable was completely loose, and the locknut on the adjuster on the sprocket cover was sitting in the little cover piece! Once I fixed these problems and put the lever adjuster where it belonged I rode home just fine, but in the process my goretex jacket soaked through and my phone is now toast! At least my bike seems ok.

More
13 Aug 2009 11:57 #313701 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Accidentally redlined
Dude, this bike seems to be displaying all kinds of mal adjustment and wear. Between a wobble (that if incidentally turns into a headshake or tankslapper will tease your sanity to a worn out front tire, to a clutch cable that flops and you are riding in downpours? You better do a real go over on your bike and get things in shape before something serious happens. Hate to see a fellow rider have his bike bite him. Happens fast and without warning sometimes. Take an afternoon and get intimate with the thing. Check all adjustments and bearings and such. Make no mistake it's your life and limb on the line here. I don't mean to be lecturing and all but would really hate to hear of a member down or worse... on the flip side of the grass. Money or time is no excuse to play craps with those stakes.

I'm bettin' on wobble being a combination plate. Bad tire AND head bearing.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
14 Aug 2009 04:36 - 14 Aug 2009 04:38 #313839 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Accidentally redlined
As far as the downpour goes the current weather situation is causing freak rain around here. I took a ride with some friends to a lake outside of town for a swim, it was 27 Degrees Celcius, gorgeous day, but once we got out there the clowds rolled in, and by the time I was back on the bike it was storming like mad, the rain gave me a good chance to try out my new rear master cylinder though!

Saturday I am seeing Snoop Dogg and Akon for free, then sunday I am going to sit down at my buddies farmhouse and have a few beers with my kawasaki. I have been thinking I should give it a go over and lube everything up. I just lubed the chain and rebuilt the rear brake last week. TO lube the wheel bearings do you have to remove the wheels? or is there a tit somewhere I can hook a grease gun up to?

Yesterdays threads have given me an idea of different things that need maintenance that I have not thought of before, thanks guys!
Last edit: 14 Aug 2009 04:38 by 9am53.