Didn't Know where to Post, Problem Starting,?

More
11 Aug 2009 08:35 - 11 Aug 2009 09:04 #313117 by mzandmz
If I dont know the problem,Where it comes from then where do you place it? Here is the Problem, Deep breath and let it out- My 77 KZ650 B1 All Stock(except for seat and rider)Likes to start hard. First I climb on bike,insert key,level up bike,reach down turn on gas,raise up choke lever,pull in cluch,turn on ignition,neutral and oil lights on,push start button,engine cranks,hits(goes putt)then cranks,cranks,hits,cranks,hits,hits,cranks,cranks,cranks,hits,cranks,hits,hits,hits,hits,cranks,cranks,hits,hits,cranks,cranks,cranks,hits,fires up low idle,adjust choke lever a little,engine speeds up,12-1500 rpms,engine speeds up,adjust choke,once warm it will idle on its own around 1000rpm. It will start up first crank after its warmed up. What would cause it to crank so much without hitting at least every other time and not fire up sooner?
Is it electrical-weak spark,Carboration-choke circit,Timing-point dwell? Human-stupidity, Not enough beer-3or more.???

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 11 Aug 2009 09:04 by mzandmz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 08:56 - 11 Aug 2009 08:58 #313121 by Patton
mzandmz wrote:

If I dont know the problem,Where it comes from then where do you place it? Here is the Problem, Deep breath and let it out- My 77 KZ650 B1 All Stock(except for seat and rider)Likes to start hard. First I climb on bike,insert key,level up bike,reach down turn on gas,raise up choke lever,pull in cluch,turn on ignition,neutral and oil lights on,push start button,engine cranks,hits(goes putt)then cranks,cranks,hits,cranks,hits,hits,cranks,cranks,cranks,hits,cranks,hits,hits,hits,hits,cranks,cranks,hits,hits,cranks,cranks,cranks,hits,fires up low idle,give a little throttle,adjust choke lever a little,engine speeds up,Backoff throttle holding 12-1500 rpms,engine speeds up,adjust choke,back off throttle,once warm it will idle on its own around 1000rpm. It will start up first crank after its warmed up. What would cause it to crank so much without hitting at least every other time and not fire up sooner?
Is it electrical-weak spark,Carboration-choke circit,Timing-point dwell? Human-stupidity, Not enough beer-3or more.???

give a little throttle -- That's a no-no.

Supposed to leave the throttle completely alone when
starting the engine, especially when the engine is cold.

Pull choke lever all the way UP.
And don't even touch the throttle grip.

The "enrichment circuit" is designed to
function when the throttle is fully closed.

Opening the throttle, or even cracking the throttle,
defeats operation of the enrichment circuit.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Aug 2009 08:58 by Patton.

More
11 Aug 2009 09:02 #313122 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Didn't Know where to Post, Problem Starting,?
I dont touch the throttle until after it starts running good. I know not to turn the throttle at all,It still starts hard NOT even touching the throttle That I dont touch.until its running good.

More
11 Aug 2009 09:18 #313127 by Patton
Could experiment by enrichening pilot circuit.

On each carb, turn the side located pilot air screw IN clockwise 1/4 turn, and see whether it makes any difference.

Might also need to re-adjust the idle speed thumb screw.

If adversely affects performance, just return the settings to their existing positions.

Sometimes, a larger pilot jet might help.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Aug 2009 09:19 #313128 by 650ed
Have you tried using the kickstarter when the engine is cold? My approach is the following: Bike on centerstand; petcock on; choke up; hand off the throttle; key on; standing next to the bike (not seated on it) I give a quick kick or two on the kickstarter and the bike starts. Then lower the choke as bike warms and close it all the way as soon as it is warm enough to idle smoothly. I suspect the starter circuit draws some current away from coils but kickstarting allows full current to coils. As you noticed, once the bike is warmed up it starts much easier with starter. It's possible that the WG coil mod would help, but I've used the above method for 32+ years with no problems, so I doubt that I would change at this late date. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Aug 2009 10:27 #313144 by MFolks
Have you checked the input voltage on the primary(small wires)side of the coil? If it's down to 7-10 volts I'd suggest doing the popular ignition bypass using a relay.

The website www.wgcarbs.com describes how to do it along with a parts list.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Aug 2009 11:31 - 11 Aug 2009 11:32 #313161 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Didn't Know where to Post, Problem Starting,?
+1 for all the good advise above.

I had a similar situation when I bought my B1 from the PO. The WG Coil Repowering Mod may be the only reason I still have my bike. Do this mod regardless... it can only help.

This is how I did it on my B1.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Aug 2009 11:32 by bill_wilcox100.

More
11 Aug 2009 18:08 #313228 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Didn't Know where to Post, Problem Starting,?
That sounds like a good Idea,I might do that very soon. But I found out my 3rd carb was plugged in the choke circit and the needle valve was sticking closed. I got them all cleaned out and she starts and purrs like a kitten.Plus I never knew that these Bikes had so much power..:woohoo: Thanks again for all your input.:woohoo:

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
11 Aug 2009 21:52 #313292 by kzz1p
Everyone has some good ideas. I would bet on the pilot jet size myself.........