Big Looming Trip (Reco stops Rt. 17, Ontario?)

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
28 Jul 2009 14:14 - 29 Jul 2009 16:05 #309893 by Strizzzo
This will be a Trip Report once I've finished. Hopefully one with plenty of adventure, little of that mechanical, and many beers sent to their demise....

My buddy Graham and I are riding our rigs from NYC to northern Wisconsin for a wedding next weekend. He rides a beaut of a 74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado and I'll be on my 78 Kz1075A2. Our plan is to make a go of the iron butt on the way out [wedding is 1100 miles from NYC] and then meander our way back, post wedding, through Canada (Mackinack>Rt. 17/North Bay>Montreal) with our ladies two-up. We're leaving from NY at about 9pm and, with any luck, will get to our destination Friday evening.

Aside from the rather harebrained notion of rolling on 30+ year old motorcycles for a 1000 mile/24 hr run, the plan is moving along. Both our bikes were broken far-down this winter and re-paired/re-built with this in mind. I have a few lingering electrical gremlins (post ##304805) that I'm chasing down but, all in all, I feel pretty confident in the machine.

Much as it pains, I've steady gone about the process of morphing the bike from it's mean, sporty self to a full, cruising homunculus. Swapping out superbike bars, fairing added (to much forum consternation, I might add {post #300166}], sprockets swapped for better highway riding, king/queen seat on the way, sissy bar etc. etc.. All in all, should be an arse-coddling, mile devouring machine.

Bike's running as well as it ever has & hopefully the overnight cool on the straight-run out will keep endurance issues in check. I stop every 125 for fuel to be on the safe side & we're planning on stopping for a couple hours mid-day and then we'll polish off the last few hundred clicks in the afternoon.

There have been plenty of toolkit discussions, but I figured I'd post mine here as well. At least there'll be a historical record of my lack of foresight when that one !#&$@ thing I forgot leaves us stranded in Mooseballs, Ontario.

-pliers
-fuses
-electrical tape
-tightlock
-countershaft sprocket washer
-zip ties
-velcro
-screwdrivers
-alan wrenches
-flashlight (headlamp and handheld)
-chain lube
-tire gauge
-Miracle and/or duct Tape
-Siphon Hose
-Replacement throttle cable
-replacement signal bulbs
-metric wrenches/socket (10mm -14mm) + plug wrench
-spare plugs
-Assorted hose clamps
-Tire Tubes **Seems to me that, short of bringing a full tire kit change kit w/ irons, bead breaker & CO2...which I still think there's probably a case for, but have no experience in changing road tires, only dirt - at least bringing replacement tubes that match would increase the likelihood of being able to get a flat changed somewhere. Thoughts?
-wire strippers
-spare electrical wire
-multimeter

Feel free to weigh in on the plan, tool kit or anything else. I'm also interested in any recommendations on stuff to see or places to stay along the Rt. 17 stretch through Ontario.

I'm no ace mechanic, and a fool's errand it may be, but sometimes you've got to spit in the devil's eye I suppose. At least that's what I keep telling my wife as she give's me the look :-).

Thanks all.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Last edit: 29 Jul 2009 16:05 by Strizzzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 16:14 #309923 by Bluebus001
Replied by Bluebus001 on topic Big Looming Trip
Sounds like a great trip, I just returned from 3830km's from Vancouver BC south to San Francisco in 1 week My 1979 KZ1000 mk2 ran as good as it ever has. Even when it was 100 degrees outside at 70 mph. I think these old bikes are bullet proof.

Ride safe
looking forward to the stories

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
28 Jul 2009 19:22 #309953 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic Big Looming Trip
Spare clutch cable?
Have a great trip.

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
28 Jul 2009 20:19 #309964 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Big Looming Trip
Never been to Mooseballs, Ontario. Do they have an amusement park there ?:laugh: Plan all you want...........everytime I plan something.....something I never thought happens. Usually in Mooseballs, Ontario. Something with solar flares I reckon. Have fun and ride safe. Although an American Express black card does work wonders.:laugh:

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
29 Jul 2009 12:21 #310125 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Big Looming Trip
Plastic packed...and cell phone(s) that prob won't be of much use in Canada.

Anyone have any recommendations on a decent place to stay around North Bay on Rt. 17?

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
29 Jul 2009 13:37 #310136 by 650ed
If you haven't already thought of it, try using soft earplugs. You will be mazed at the reduction of fatique they provide by reducing or eliminating wind noise (even with a quality helmet). Try riding the 1st 125 leg with them, then the next leg without. I believe you will put them back in for the rest of the trip. I used to run between Baltimore and the Poconos Raceway (PA) to watch superbike races and once I started using earplugs I never go on an extended (200+ mile) highway ride without them. Give them a try and let us know your opinion. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Jul 2009 14:17 #310143 by JR
Make sure you fill your gastank in North Bay. I cant remember what's between North Bay and Ottawa (Hwy 17). May not be a lot. Beautiful country though you and you will enjoy the twisties. Match out for moose - no kidding. There are parts of Northern Ontario where you can go 100 miles and not see a house let alone a gas station. Just moose deer and bear.

Montreal cagers are insane. Watch out. It may be the only place in N America where you cant turn right on a red light. You can go straight through it, they all do. You just cant turn right :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust