Ouch, this guy was lucky

More
22 Jul 2009 08:19 #308648 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
can somebody explain to me how a 3,000lb car with 10" of ground clearance ends up sitting on top of a 3' tall bike without knocking it over or completely destroying the bike? ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2009 08:59 #308658 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
PLUMMEN wrote:

can somebody explain to me how a 3,000lb car with 10" of ground clearance ends up sitting on top of a 3' tall bike without knocking it over or completely destroying the bike? ;)

photoshop

More
22 Jul 2009 09:46 #308661 by KZJohn
Replied by KZJohn on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
gershom wrote:

Yowsers!

I live just south of Jefferson in Edgerton Wisconsin. There have been a few times while riding through Jefferson that this sort of thing could happen. A four lane highway necks down to a two lane highway through an old downtown section with retail stores.....and a few traffic lights. Real slow going.

Another good argument for lane splitting. It's hard to be rear ended if you're sitting between the 1st 2 cars at the head of the line.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
22 Jul 2009 10:35 #308671 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
I think TeK9iNe has very good advice about watching the rear view mirror, spacing, etc., and KZJohn about lane splitting.

I was in a line of traffic one afternoon that stopped rather quickly. I stopped OK, with the car in front of me being about 10 feet ahead. But then I hear tires screeching behind me. I looked in the rear view mirror and could see the car behind smoking the tires trying to stop. Fortunately he did so before hitting me.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of avoidance methods for this. Right or wrong, here is what I can think of:
1. Do not follow too closely. It increases time to respond and allows more gentle braking.
2. Keep an eye on that rear view mirror while traveling. If someone is close behind, then look for an escape route, such as changing lanes or lane splitting so you will have a plan ready before things stack up.
3. When slowing down by throttle braking, I am in the habit of using the rear brake just to flash the brake lights several times. Hopefully, it just might get someone's attention behind me.
4. Practice panic stops occasionally, using both front and rear beakes. This won't help the rear-ending problem, but might avoid hitting the car ahead or another object.
5. Avoid congested areas of traffic if there is an alternate route.
6. As you travel, if you spot some cell phone/out-to-lunch/unconsious driver, then speed up or drop back to get clear of the driver.

Let's keep it safe out there.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
22 Jul 2009 11:05 #308675 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
I don't get how a car could have crawled up the motorcycle either. Reminds me of the old "Chips" series type of accident :laugh: However it was a local coverage police and all, so it seems that it did happen. I suppose if the motorcycle was somewhat centered upright, the car hit the rubber tire of the motorcycle just right, rolled on up on the tire. Strange but true.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Jul 2009 11:17 - 22 Jul 2009 11:18 #308678 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
Whenever stopped and idling in a traffic lane for whatever reason, my practice is to reserve room for an escape route, remain in first gear with the clutch lever squeezed, and eyes on the rear view mirror. This allows for an instant get-away and is quite an easy safety habit to adopt.

And couldn't care less about it being a little hard on the clutch cable.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Jul 2009 11:18 by Patton.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
22 Jul 2009 11:33 #308683 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
Patton wrote:

Whenever stopped and idling in a traffic lane for whatever reason, my practice is to reserve room for an escape route, remain in first gear with the clutch lever squeezed, and eyes on the rear view mirror. This allows for an instant get-away and is quite an easy safety habit to adopt.

And couldn't care less about it being a little hard on the clutch cable.

Good Luck! :)

Second that. I never take a bike or a car out of gear at a stop light. I see other people do it all the time though.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2009 11:40 #308686 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
I am always amazed at how close people stop on your butt around here. No matter if I'm in my car or on my cycle they seem to think a 3 inch distance is acceptable. It drives me nuts and scares the crap out of me on my bike. You'd think as many people get in rear-end collisions they would leave more space...

More
22 Jul 2009 12:26 #308689 by KZJohn
WABBMW wrote:

I think TeK9iNe has very good advice about watching the rear view mirror, spacing, etc., and KZJohn about lane splitting.

I was in a line of traffic one afternoon that stopped rather quickly. I stopped OK, with the car in front of me being about 10 feet ahead. But then I hear tires screeching behind me. I looked in the rear view mirror and could see the car behind smoking the tires trying to stop. Fortunately he did so before hitting me.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of avoidance methods for this. Right or wrong, here is what I can think of:
1. Do not follow too closely. It increases time to respond and allows more gentle braking.
2. Keep an eye on that rear view mirror while traveling. If someone is close behind, then look for an escape route, such as changing lanes or lane splitting so you will have a plan ready before things stack up.
3. When slowing down by throttle braking, I am in the habit of using the rear brake just to flash the brake lights several times. Hopefully, it just might get someone's attention behind me.
4. Practice panic stops occasionally, using both front and rear beakes. This won't help the rear-ending problem, but might avoid hitting the car ahead or another object.
5. Avoid congested areas of traffic if there is an alternate route.
6. As you travel, if you spot some cell phone/out-to-lunch/unconsious driver, then speed up or drop back to get clear of the driver.

Let's keep it safe out there.

I would add to that;
7. Don't ride or stop in the center of the lane. That makes it easyer to escape in an emergency.
Here in SoCal in the summer alot of cars overheat and burp if not outrite boil over their coolant. Add to that the amount of run down POS's dripping oil and cheap MoFo's with bad brakes, rear end collisions happen hourly. I wont ride in the center of the lane, plus I like to keep my high beam pointed in the driver's outside rear view mirror of the car in front of me so he knows and I know he knows I'm back there.

More
22 Jul 2009 12:33 #308690 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Ouch, this guy was lucky
I like you guys theories on avoiding a "rear ender" by leaving an escape route.
The reality is that as in most accidents it happens too quickly to do much about it so that theory really sucks.
If you are going to get a rear ender you are going to get a rear ender, it happens in split seconds even before you are stationary.
I studied a book called "Ride Hard Ride Smart" and try to practise quite a lot of their suggestions- a lot of which are basic common sense for an experienced road user.
Being seen is the key and wearing visible safety clothing helps- wouldnt do it myself though!
Hard to avoid the cellphone tosser & the makeup tart on their way to work.
Safe riding & hope you don't get "rear ended".
Tommo

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

More
22 Jul 2009 15:30 #308716 by KZJohn
It's more than theory. I have been able to avoid being hit using the method I described. I am Paranoid!! I have been hit and runover before,(not from behind).I have had to escape into a driveway off to the side to keep from being hit. I watch my mirrors constantly and am on the look out. True you cant avoid all accidents, but you can hedge you're bet's by staying alert. I am constantly amazed by all the motorcyclists I see in traffic just cruising along in someone's blind spot. I just want to yell at them to "Wake UP!!"