KZ 550 And Things Update.

• ESTurbo4
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • With enough patience and persistence we'll fix it.
More
04 Jul 2009 16:17 #304398 by ESTurbo4
KZ 550 And Things Update. was created by ESTurbo4
So I got the new sprockets installed with an O-ring chain. I don't know if the '82 KZ550 LTD's came with an O-ring chain or not. It had a standard chain on it but now it's upgraded. I've been riding it a lot. Got new throttle cables from Z1E thanks guys for the "get your parts here." I haven't ridden it since I changed the sprockets I hope the 17/38 makes it feel better at high speeds. I painted the gas tank and removed a crap load of rust from the bike (I'll get some pics soon). Oh, does anyone have a right side reflector? It would be the one that goes on the neck below the handle bars. There is a piece of black trim with a yellow/orange reflector in it on the left side and just two screws on the right so I need one.

I'm going for my road test soon I am still a little slow at taking off and tight cornering at low speeds. Does anyone have any pointers or exercises to help a new rider get better? As soon as I put the tank and seat back on I'll get some pics, wish I took some "before" pics.

1982 KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2009 16:57 #304442 by gane
Replied by gane on topic KZ 550 And Things Update.
Est, saddle time and repetition in a open (non challenging) environ work well. Empty Mall parking lots w/marked parking slots are great for reference. riding slow is Much more difficult, and a quicker teaching aid than cruising. (an exersize I still use daily) New/advanced courses are GREAT, I only wish I'd had the sense to take one before establishing bad habits. ride well, have fun G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
04 Jul 2009 17:33 - 04 Jul 2009 17:34 #304450 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic KZ 550 And Things Update.
Take a Motorcycle rider training course, here in IL it was $20 I dont know about NJ. I had been riding for quite a while before I took the course and I still learned plenty.
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard
Last edit: 04 Jul 2009 17:34 by Buda.

More
04 Jul 2009 19:53 - 04 Jul 2009 19:53 #304485 by harm
Replied by harm on topic KZ 550 And Things Update.
As Gane and Buda said, time in the saddle AND a motorcycle safety course, it is well worth the time. It may save your life!

can't wait to see some pics!!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]
Last edit: 04 Jul 2009 19:53 by harm.

• ESTurbo4
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jul 2009 10:30 #304739 by ESTurbo4
Replied by ESTurbo4 on topic KZ 550 And Things Update.
Here are the pictures as promised. When I got the bike it had a high back seat that was completely covered with duct tape. The bike was neglected and rusty this is what it looks like so far. I wish I took some before shots. The seat is NOS the tank looks a little strange because there were some dents in it, the one on the left was particularly large. The guy I bought it from said the original owner laid it down. My friend filled the dents with fiberglass filler. The tank inside is clean so we just filled the dents in rather than replace the whole tank. I painted it with rattle cans, we're not that great with body work.

The tack gauge glass was broken I fixed that with a piece of Lexan. The brake lever's end ball is broken off I'm guessing when it was laid down. New levers are on order. The guy that sold it to me said he replaced the handle bars and a few other miscellaneous things he took off an old KZ440. The grab bar was the one that came on it with the high back seat. I cut and re-welded it lower, it looks ok I guess. I put rubber at the top of it for grip I may remove that. The grips are eBay and whatever shine you see on the bike is 100% pure all natural biodegradable elbow grease. It only comes in small quantities but soon I’ll have the whole thing looking top notch.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

1982 KZ550 LTD

• ESTurbo4
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2009 14:12 #305687 by ESTurbo4
Replied by ESTurbo4 on topic KZ 550 And Things Update.
Well, I passed my road test today. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be. Now, I am a fully licensed rider :woohoo:

1982 KZ550 LTD