An Invitation in Chattanooga!

• Mortarmanmike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2009 13:08 #296315 by Mortarmanmike
An Invitation in Chattanooga! was created by Mortarmanmike
Please excuse me if this post eventually turns into a rant.

Ok, I recently purchased a 79 KZ1000 shaft. Turns out it's not nearly as sorted as I'd hoped. So far I've only gotten it to run on three cylinders and suspect it has an intake leak (not really sure.) I've had it a week and it hasn't been out of the garage but once. I knew going into a vintage bike that it wouldn't simply be a plug and play procedure.

I'm finding myself becoming increasing discouraged. I usually have alot of fun tinkering but my patience is lacking this time. Maybe it's because I haven't actually ridden the damn thing yet. I read on here how everybody just loves their KZ. I haven't had that privelege yet. If I'd known this 'restored' bike was gonna be so big a hassle, I'd have saved my money and bought a basketcase. At least then I'd have known what was coming and wouldn't have gotten excited about a quick fix.

I'm deploying again this winter. My riding days are numbered. The absolute last thing I wanna do over the next couple weeks is spend them chasing down problems.:angry: Thankfully I have another bike. Maybe when I return I'll have the patience to slowly sort this bike out.

If anybody living in the Chattanooga area wants to give me a hand with this thing it'd be greatly appreciated. Just let me know what kinda beer you drink.

Thanks for letting me rant.

1979 KZ1000 Shafty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
04 Jun 2009 14:15 #296325 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic An Invitation in Chattanooga!
I live to far away to accept the invitation, don't get discouraged the people here have the knowledge to help you if you can ask detailed questions. Once you get it figured out you will see why we love our vintage KZ's. Once she's done she will be very dependable and reliable. Welcome to the KZ Nation. Go ahead and ask away.

P.S. Thank You for your Service and be safe on your deployment.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
04 Jun 2009 16:38 #296349 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic An Invitation in Chattanooga!
Kawickrice wrote:

Thank You for your Service and be safe on your deployment.

i second that.

as for your bike, you stated that you knew it had issues when you got it.
i know for me and i'm sure for a lot of members herethat part of our love affairs with these old girls is tinkering with them. there is just something surreal about hearing it fire after all your hard work. ( just ask omr )
anyone can buy a bike, it takes talent to fix and enjoy one.

you bought one of the best years out there.
intakes are cheap from www.z1enterprises.com .
don't even mess with the old ones. they are more then likely oe anyway.

wish i was closer to help you.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• Mortarmanmike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2009 20:30 #296405 by Mortarmanmike
Replied by Mortarmanmike on topic An Invitation in Chattanooga!
Thanks for the responses.

Actually it was a somewhat impulsive buy on my part. The only issues I thought that it had were missing some exhaust gaskets which the PO had already ordered. The bike was nice and shiney, it started, it idled. I visually inspected the bike. The PO struck me as an alright guy. Not being that familiar with these and taking the guy at his word, I didn't realize at the time it was only running on three.

Since messing with the bike I can tell there were probably alot of shortcuts taken just to pretty it up and flip it. For example: a pretty HOK rattlecan paint job that now looks like Tammy Faye Bakers running mascara. No I didn't exercise due dilligence in researching the bike and was guilty of making a poor decision. I'm not a young pup; I admit it, it was a stupid purchase.

That being said, I normally enjoy working on a project like this. I understand where you're coming from. I get the pride of a rebuild. This is just not what I thought I was getting into with this bike. I don't have the time or inclination to spend the next 6 weeks figuring out what's jacked up on this bike, so I can wait on parts, and then find out something else is jacked up. The thing is the PO knew this also because we talked about it at length. I thought I was buying a restored runner, trusted my gut, and ended up getting bit in the a$$ and left with a project bike.

So this is how I see this panning out:
1) the damn thing sits in the garage with a tarp over it behind the lawnmower for the next year and a half.
2) i get raped at one of the local shops to diagnose a bike and get it ready for the end of summer.

This is not the only bull$&!/ going on in my life right now, it's just the icing on the cake. I'm not normally this negative.

Ya'll enjoy the good riding weather this weekend.

1979 KZ1000 Shafty

More
05 Jun 2009 09:13 #296509 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic An Invitation in Chattanooga!
Maybe someone here would buy it from you if you don't want to mess wit it.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Mortarmanmike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2009 11:13 #296525 by Mortarmanmike
Replied by Mortarmanmike on topic An Invitation in Chattanooga!
Well, if I ever decided to sell it this would be the first place. Sorry everybody, I was just frustrated. I plan on getting it in tiptop shape. Just a little disappointed I guess. When I do get it actually running I'll be sure to start a thread singing it's praises, and we can pretend this thread never happened.

Have a good one and keep the shiney side up.

1979 KZ1000 Shafty