A few questions about my KZ

• Dirt Reynolds
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 May 2009 09:15 - 21 May 2009 09:16 #293068 by Dirt Reynolds
A few questions about my KZ was created by Dirt Reynolds
I'm starting my build and I need to know a few things.
I'll be using a 76 KZ 400 as my base.

First, where is the best place to order KZ specific parts from?

What is the handle bar diameter? 7/8" or 1"?

Are there any handlebar clamps you guys like to use?

Does anyone sell a stripped down wiring harness? Just the bare necessities.

Anyone know where I could pick up a "dirt track" style seat pan?

What's the speedo gear ratio in case I go with an aftermarket speedo.

I'm looking for a new set of shocks, do not need to be stock.

Any tips on bleeding the brakes?

Is there a common front end swap to upgrade too?

If you can think of anything along these lines, just let me know. If you're in the Dayton, OH area and feel like wrenching some, I've got lots of bootleg Fat Tire and Yuenling.
Last edit: 21 May 2009 09:16 by Dirt Reynolds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2009 10:10 #293071 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic A few questions about my KZ
Wow, lots of questions. I can't answer all, but some others will chime in no doubt. Probably with better answers.

best place for kz parts, ebay or z1 enterprises
handle bar dia 7/8" (I think)
Bleeding brakes, just keep working at it, tapping the line, tapping all the points where bubbles might get trapped.

I had some folks say to bungee your brake lever close to the bars and leave it over night, but that didn't work for me.

Also, they make speed bleeders, but I never used them.

sounds like you have some plans already for what you want to do. Good luck and post some pics when you have them.:)

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
21 May 2009 10:10 #293073 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic A few questions about my KZ
z1 enterprises no1,7/8 no 2, i always use stock myself what are you trying to do raise them up no 3, if you want stripped down you will have to do it your self most likely no 4, omar's dirt track. no 5, can't help with the speedo sorry about that. no6, progressive suspension. no 7, mityvac or syringe always works for me. no 8, not sure what your looking to put on, up side down sport bike or conventional. no9, hope some of this helps

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• Dirt Reynolds
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2009 06:59 #293290 by Dirt Reynolds
Replied by Dirt Reynolds on topic A few questions about my KZ
Is there a common 1" riser that can be used? I'd like to switch to a 1" bar. Or will any aftermarket riser work? I haven't really looked at them. The stock looks pretty generic and not compatible with most the aftermarket stuff out there.

What about a brand for the rear shocks? What's a good bang for the buck aftermarket upgrade?

Anyone have some tips for cleaning up the front end? Removing everything but the head light and speedo. I'd also like to relocate the electric start so any info on that would be awesome. I'd really just like to have throttle, brake and clutch on my bars.