For those into building "Cafe' Racers"....

More
18 May 2009 21:12 #292518 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic For those into building
JMKZHI wrote:

I guess he forgot to paint the wheels.

Nah, he painted them. Just when he did the ton day in and day out the paint flew off.

Again, the origins of cafe racers is pretty cool. My friends and I were doing that in high school without knowing that it had a name. Wish I had a picture of my friends cb550. He did a real nice job on a 200.00 bike. Of course working at an auto body shop has its advantages.

I just think the term is applied too quickly to anything that has had the simplest bit of work done on it. Then others argue its a mentality rather than what is done to the bike.

In this case though, I'll argue someone got too happy with the rattle can and ruined a good bike. Then to cover his backside he calls it a cafe and tries to sell it for more than the cost of a bike and 3 cans of paint.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
19 May 2009 10:23 #292659 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic For those into building "Cafe' Racers"....
To be honest, the term can cover a multitude of motorcycles - everything from a stock bike with low (ace) bars, or clip-ons, to an almost pure race bike with tweaked motor, clip-ons, rearsets, custom tank, fairing, etc. Some of them are works of art, others are rolling disaster areas! No matter - it is the "spirit" that is important. However, just taking a rattle can to a stock bike does NOT count as a cafe racer, and would certainly have any, and all, bona-fide members of the "Ton-Up Club" falling apart laughing!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.