bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Apr 2009 09:39 #277688 by trianglelaguna
bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach was created by trianglelaguna
not all of the kz's i've owned have had bouncy needles in the instrrument faces....most have to a greater or lesser degree been a lttle floppy....
anyone know what leads to this sloppy movement???
...any one running new or refurbished instruments that can compare if theirs are steady in their movments at say 30-85 mph?????
and lastly has anyone found any tricks to cure it a little...i have a new tach drive cable for sure and it's floppy a bit still......

thanks guys....craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Apr 2009 10:07 #277698 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
Checked your drive cable for kinks or lube?

Also, I recently bought a 160mph speedo for cheap, but when I put it on my bike, it had a serious case of needle bounce, and it was highly inaccurate, so I took it back off and put the original back on.
So one day over this winter, I decided to take the bouncing speedo apart to see what's going on in there.
On the end of the cable is a chunk of iron shaped like a thick cross. It's positioned facing an aluminum cup, with what looks like might be a small magnet attached to one side of it (guessing). The cup/magnet is hooked directly to a shaft that turns the needle on the face. On the shaft, there is a tiny counterbalance spring. Apparently, the iron cross cuts through the magnetic flux lines, forcing the movement against the counterbalance spring.
When I looked inside the cup, I discovered a little wad of spider silk, which was interfering with the iron cross, causing the needle bounce.
I cleaned it up and put it back together and installed it on my bike. Took it for a test ride. The bouncing completely disappeared and the needle was smooth as silk, but it's still very inaccurate. Says I'm doing 90, but old ladies in old Plymouths are still passing me.
I can't have that.
So, it's possible you might have a critter nest in it.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
02 Apr 2009 10:12 #277699 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
Yes, I know what you're saying. My KZ1000 CSR has rock solid guages--at all speeds. My KZ750 L3 has really sloppy gauges--at all speeds.
I have replaced both cables on the 1000 within the last 2 years so maybe that is what contributes to its steadiness.
The 750 has an electronic tach so I think that the needle mechanism could do with some very light penetrating oil on the small bits inside the housing.
I am also going to lube the speedo cable and mechanism to try to free it up some.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
02 Apr 2009 12:30 #277719 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
True or false ?? i read that there is an oil inside to dampen the action and if it leaks out this will cause the needle to float?? I read it on a site that repairs speedo’s. they said there was no cure for that??
i have the same problem. i took 2 of them apart ,1 was oem and i could not see anything i could fix?? i didn’t see any oil reservoir, but i did not get every piece apart. no spider webs either?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
02 Apr 2009 15:41 #277761 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
I read somewhere that you shouldnt put gauges upside down because it'll furk 'em.
But I had a look in mine when I polished the glass and I couldn't see any fluid. Mind you I dont see electrons either...
or police cars.

1980 KZ500 B2

More
02 Apr 2009 15:57 #277770 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
Go to Z1enterprises site. There is a link i believe for Bob Harrington who is a member here. I believe his screen name is canyon dancer. He lives in Atlanta.

I think his site is zresto. (hope i didn't step on anyones toes)

He is great. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
02 Apr 2009 19:01 #277840 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
Oh Yea. thats it .thats where i read it. Thanks Roy.B)
this is from the link
Notice the round cylinder directly atop the spring. This is the internal ‘damper". If your gauge has a needle that "wanders",...at speed or RPM, and your cables are good,....this is the culprit. The damper itself holds oil, and cannot be fixed, unless this whole drive unit is replaced with one that works properly.

Here is the link

www.z1enterprises.com/reference/ZResto_inspection.aspx

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Apr 2009 19:33 #277863 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic bouncing insturment needles...speedo/tach
i knew it was gonna be bugger to get into...so far i know it is there and it is not as bad as some have been.....interesting replies and that was my main hope...to get some of the folks take on it /experiences....

wish some easy thing like tap on the footpegs or somthing....
boy ....knee bone connected to the leg bone....start fixing anything and notice another thing.....i did not plan on vintage...restoration hobby.....oh well so it goes....see what happens

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife