What's it worth... and what would be a good offer

• MikePotter86
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
More
11 Mar 2009 10:04 #271173 by MikePotter86
Hey everybody,
When visiting a friend recently, we visited a neighbor briefly and on the way out through the garage I saw this, I know it is a bad photo, but it was a quick look, with my phone.
Gray Shaft drive 1000, thinking around an '80
It has around 15k on it, and doesn't seem to have anything more than surface rust, rumor is it ran when stored, around 10 years ago.
It looks to be all original from what I can tell, it is grey, not my favorite color, but still nice.

Any Ideas on what its worth? What year it is, etc.?
Thanks Guys,
Mike

Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2009 10:24 #271175 by RonKZ650
It's a 1980 KZ1000ST. It should be basically black color with grey two-tone tank and tail. How much it's worth is hard to say. If it's decent condition should sell for $1000-$2000 after cleaned up and running. I doubt it an immaculate example, seeing the luggage rack is there so the grab bar is impossible to find. Probably had or still has a fairing so look for missing stuff around the headlight and front signals. ST was only made 2 yrs so parts are all hard to get and unique to the model.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
11 Mar 2009 10:30 #271176 by Locozuna
I'd say it's worth a 2nd look and using your archeological skills extricate it from the debris.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
11 Mar 2009 10:41 #271178 by Mcdroid
RonKZ650 wrote:

It's a 1980 KZ1000ST. It should be basically black color with grey two-tone tank and tail. How much it's worth is hard to say. If it's decent condition should sell for $1000-$2000 after cleaned up and running. I doubt it an immaculate example, seeing the luggage rack is there so the grab bar is impossible to find. Probably had or still has a fairing so look for missing stuff around the headlight and front signals. ST was only made 2 yrs so parts are all hard to get and unique to the model.

Good advice...if you approach the owner remember that many folks think that old Kawasaki = $$$$ and it just isn't always the case.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
11 Mar 2009 11:31 - 11 Mar 2009 11:32 #271183 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic What's it worth... and what would be a good offer
Always show up with cash in $100 dollar bills. I suggest puting 5 of them in one pocket and the rest maybe 2 or 3 in the other pocket. If his wife is there try to make a lo-ball offer in front of her also while holding the 5 crisp 100 dollar bills. This method has worked very well in the past for me. Something about 100 dollar bills that works. Especially when the wife is present. Dont feel bad if you steal it for a low price either. If he cared about it he would not store it buried next to the lawn equipment. Your first offer is always the lowest. I would start at 4 or 5 hundred. I bought my current bike with smoothbores, vintage Lesters, Kerker Header, an extra tank, side panel, starter and two boxes of other stuff for $300 out of a shed so it does happen...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 11 Mar 2009 11:32 by Russ Jackson.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
11 Mar 2009 19:44 #271278 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic What's it worth... and what would be a good offer
Russ Jackson wrote:

Always show up with cash in $100 dollar bills. I suggest puting 5 of them in one pocket and the rest maybe 2 or 3 in the other pocket. If his wife is there try to make a lo-ball offer in front of her also while holding the 5 crisp 100 dollar bills. This method has worked very well in the past for me. Something about 100 dollar bills that works. Especially when the wife is present. Dont feel bad if you steal it for a low price either. If he cared about it he would not store it buried next to the lawn equipment. Your first offer is always the lowest. I would start at 4 or 5 hundred. I bought my current bike with smoothbores, vintage Lesters, Kerker Header, an extra tank, side panel, starter and two boxes of other stuff for $300 out of a shed so it does happen...Russ

yeah russ is right as long as there is no hard feelings then bargain.......
the big questions are.....

do you need it?.....do you want that model?????do want to put the time it takes to get em running and registered on that model:?????...is it in the guys way and he could care less....i bet this person is set on a mental price already....i would guess they are gonna say 1600.00....let us know how it goes and what was talked about...interesting these pricing threads.....peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• MikePotter86
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
More
11 Mar 2009 19:58 #271281 by MikePotter86
Replied by MikePotter86 on topic What's it worth... and what would be a good off
I am not dying to have this model, or any to be exact, I love by KZ, but if I could get another one at a good price, I would pass this one on to my brother, or the new one once he is more experienced. The bike hasn't moved in 10 years, and I don't expect it to go anywhere without my interference, but all of your opinions are greatly appreciated. I might wait a few months to make an offer in light of my (temporary) liquidity crisis, haha. Besides, I hear his wife has got another kid on the way in June, might make a better case for selling it then.
Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/

More
12 Mar 2009 02:49 #271307 by Mcdroid
MikePotter86 wrote:

Besides, I hear his wife has got another kid on the way in June, might make a better case for selling it then.

Excellent bargaining position!

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
12 Mar 2009 05:10 #271315 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic What's it worth... and what would be a good offer
Screw him, low ball his ass for he didn't even have the decency to even cover the old girl.... This is your buddies neighbor, not your buddy...

Same time, this is a business transition not a charity.
Now if your really wanted this bike as for example, 1973 Z1 then yeah it's worth a little extra hunskies just to make sure you get him to bite the hook.... Meaning, you know what the bike is truly worth.

Bottom line, money talks and you have no way of knowing (internal issues) of what it's going to truly cost you to get this old girl up and running... For all you know, the motor or valve train is blown, the electrical system is fried, the carbs have been gunked/stripped screws whatever, thus high $$$...

Start low with mentioning of the above possible issues and associated costs to get her running again... If he truly was into KZ's, understands the history, the motor, the performance the status etc... he wouldn't have left the bike as such....

And if her truly has no clue, getting ready for a kid, he'll bite....

Just my 2 cents....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
12 Mar 2009 05:26 #271317 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic What's it worth... and what would be a good off
Mcdroid wrote:

MikePotter86 wrote:

Besides, I hear his wife has got another kid on the way in June, might make a better case for selling it then.

Excellent bargaining position!

Like I said make sure she is there when you make the cash in hand offer.

Heck hand the money to her. Tell her she is trading a broken old bike for a new nursery.

Just dont rub it in there faces when you get it running and cleaned up. Don't even bring it around when you get it running....Russ

More
12 Mar 2009 06:16 #271324 by zoro
MikePotter86 wrote:

Hey everybody,
When visiting a friend recently, we visited a neighbor briefly and on the way out through the garage I saw this, I know it is a bad photo, but it was a quick look, with my phone.
It has around 15k on it, and doesn't seem to have anything more than surface rust, rumor is it ran when stored, around 10 years ago.
It looks to be all original from what I can tell, it is grey, not my favorite color, but still nice.

Thanks Guys,
Mike

The question is,whats it worth to you? Its an 80-E2.The STs are the unique unsung sleeping giants of the KZ1000s! They are MKIIs with shafts instead of chains.The frames are like no other KZ1000,STOUT!The Kawasaki engineers went overkill on the design of their first big four shafties!40mm fork tubes!Twin spring dampening within those tubes,very unique and effective!No damper necessary!When you unload the fairing,luggage rack,and bags,you reveal a monster KZ! Add 4 into 1 header,stage 3 jet kit and pods,correctly tuned,you wind up with an "UNCHAINED BEAST!"Add a few more tweeks and a set of 29mm Smoothies,that 1015 inside the 600lb ST frame becomes untouchable,and uncatchable!No V-twin,including Screaming eagles and Buells can touch them! So the question is...Whats it worth to You! I wouldnt take 10K for mine! Offer the guy $500....and have $2000 more in your pocket! Its like finding a GTX in a barn, Whats that worth?

GHOSTRIDER,1980,KZ1000ST

More
12 Mar 2009 06:27 #271328 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic What's it worth... and what would be a good offer
zoro wrote:

MikePotter86 wrote:

Hey everybody,

Thanks Guys,
Mike

The question is,whats it worth to you? Its an 80-E2.The STs are the unique unsung sleeping giants of the KZ1000s! They are MKIIs with shafts instead of chains.The frames are like no other KZ1000,STOUT!The Kawasaki engineers went overkill on the design of their first big four shafties!40mm fork tubes!Twin spring dampening within those tubes,very unique and effective!No damper necessary!When you unload the fairing,luggage rack,and bags,you reveal a monster KZ! Add 4 into 1 header,stage 3 jet kit and pods,correctly tuned,you wind up with an "UNCHAINED BEAST!"Add a few more tweeks and a set of 29mm Smoothies,that 1015 inside the 600lb ST frame becomes untouchable,and uncatchable!No V-twin,including Screaming eagles and Buells can touch them! So the question is...Whats it worth to You! I wouldnt take 10K for mine! Offer the guy $500....and have $2000 more in your pocket! Its like finding a GTX in a barn, Whats that worth?

Comparing it to a GTX in a barn might be a little bit of a stretch...LOL...Russ