Mystery Revealed !!! For Canucks Only !!!

• H2RICK
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
10 Mar 2009 16:37 #270996 by H2RICK
It seems the supply of K&W Copper Coat gasket dressing/sealant has dried up (sorry :blush:) in the Canadian market. Guys have been complaining about this non-availability for a couple of years now. This stuff is a perennial favourite of cage engine overhaulers or anyone who has a particularly troublesome head gasket to replace. It'll work on all-metal OR composite head gaskets plus you can use it for other gaskets as well. It's great stuff and highly recommended for any newbies doing cylinder head work. It can sure make up for any errors on your part. You SOHC Honda 750 owners should definitely have a can in your shop for the next head gasket you replace.
Soooooo......I did a little research and made a call.
Seems that CRC Industries who make all kinds of MRO (maintenance/repair/overhaul) chemicals and sealants bought out K&W a number of years ago. However.....someone in Canada owns the K&W trademark rights in Canada and so CRC can't legally distribute and sell Copper Coat because they've kept it branded as K&W because that's what everyone knows it as. CRC intends to repackage Copper Coat as a CRC product so they can sell it in Canada as well.....but that hasn't happened yet.
So....what's a fella to do if he needs a can NOW ???
I phoned CRC Canada this aft and got a guy who really knows what's going on.....without going through "press 1 for...." hell. He filled me in on the info as mentioned above but here's the kicker.....
He is willing to bring a case of Copper Coat (12 cans) in the choice of my size of can (either 4 oz. or 16 oz.) into an automotive distributor of my choice and get them to sell it to me. It'll take a couple of weeks for him to arrange to have the case sent up from the warehouse in the US to the Canadian CRC warehouse and then out to Cowtown.
The bottom line is that if any of you Canucks on here need a can of Copper Coat, I'm your man. I expect to have pricing by Friday latest so if you're interested just PM me with your choice of size and quantity and I'll get back to you as soon as I have the pricing and delivery info.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2009 20:26 #271091 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Mystery Revealed !!! For Canucks Only !!!
copper coat works well but since the supply dried up i've been using a great product called gasgacinch on all my copper head and base gaskets on my drag motors and have had great success with it

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• H2RICK
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
11 Mar 2009 13:06 #271195 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Mystery Revealed !!! For Canucks Only !!!
Glad to hear from someone who has extensive experience with a suitable alternate product, TB33. I've often wondered about that stuff. Maybe I'll buy a can and give it a try.
I wonder if it works on composition gaskets as well. Have you tried it on any of those ??

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
11 Mar 2009 14:34 #271209 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Mystery Revealed !!! For Canucks Only !!!
I have used gasgacinch on fiber gaskets and it works well. On teh downside: it does dry completely and makes old gaskets a b***h to remove. You be scrapin'...

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
11 Mar 2009 16:51 #271228 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Mystery Revealed !!! For Canucks Only !!!
yes it can cause some extra scraping but if your motor isn't coming apart because of leaks all the time i'd say its worth it.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
11 Mar 2009 17:40 #271234 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Mystery Revealed !!! For Canucks Only !!!
Agreed. Just putting it out there...

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.