Old Tires

More
10 Mar 2009 13:42 #270952 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Old Tires
I agree with that 100%. So I think the subject has been fully broached. As long as we don't use old rubbers when we should be reasonable safe. Some brands more so than others in panic stops and rain. Some tires ride better than others the tires I have now are nice n sticky yet when its windy the front tracks funny makes it feel like my headset bearings are worn out whereas the tires before didn't have that effect.
I used to love the dunlop I think k 181 gt qualifier tires I bought them for all of my bikes then they discontinued those and I got the other newer replacement to those. But I never rode corners like I do now and didn't have the power to the rear wheel on any of my previous bikes so the dunlops I liked wouldn't work out for me now but the ones I had on my bike I think were tourers and as such had a harder compound and add age to them and they became really hard. So hard that when I had to hit both brakes the tires skidded front and back at 70 mph. That is a very disconcerting feeling. So maybe if you don't ride many miles a year then it would be good to go for a softer compound as they tend to get harder after time right? I have experienced that anyways.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2009 13:55 - 10 Mar 2009 13:55 #270962 by z19OO
Replied by z19OO on topic Old Tires

But before I changed them I would leave the remaining tread on the pavement in the form of a nice burn out. You might want to film it and post it....Russ

Thats what i'm thinking!! I need to buy some kind of video recorder so I can do that with my buddys 1000 and post it on you tube. Shit, I'll do that to my z1 too!!

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b
Last edit: 10 Mar 2009 13:55 by z19OO.

More
10 Mar 2009 14:02 - 10 Mar 2009 14:03 #270965 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Old Tires
z19OO wrote:

But before I changed them I would leave the remaining tread on the pavement in the form of a nice burn out. You might want to film it and post it....Russ

Thats what i'm thinking!! I need to buy some kind of video recorder so I can do that with my buddys 1000 and post it on you tube. Shit, I'll do that to my z1 too!!

I'm thinking air cooled. Good if you put a nice fan in front and are ready for some tire shrapnel to possibly :silly: sting your legs when she blows.:blink: :blush:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 10 Mar 2009 14:03 by saxjonz.

More
11 Mar 2009 08:05 #271151 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Old Tires
Most tire blow outs occur in the rear tire. If you have a tubeless and pickup a nail/screw of any kind, the tire tends to deflate sort of gently... if you have a tube, the tube looses air ALL AT ONCE and you are riding on the rim... When this occurs, there is no great secret... to stop the bike LET OFF THE GAS and hold onto the bars as the old tire shell will make the bike WOBBLE A LOT. You might try a little front brake. If the front tire goes quickly and with no warning, well... I can't think of any real good advice but as I noted, the rear tire usually picks up any nail or screw for some reason.

FWIW: I have been riding longer than most and have owned a zillion bikes and have been around bikes but can't recall a cracked sidewall on an old rock-hard tire ever blowing. Hard tires or cracked sidewalls scare me none the less... I keep good rubber on all my rides and rubber that is appropriate for the weight and style of the bike.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
11 Mar 2009 13:15 #271198 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Old Tires

the rear tire usually picks up any nail or screw for some reason.

Ya know, George, that's soooo true. At the shop where I work in the summer, we do 99 rear tire repairs to 1 front repair.
What's with THAT ??!!?? Do they put magnets in the rear tires or something ??:P :laugh: :ohmy: :blink:
It's just weird, that's all.:silly: :side: :S

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
11 Mar 2009 13:42 #271200 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Old Tires
650ed wrote:

Russ Jackson wrote: "I have had front and rear blow outs and it isnt fun."

Just curious; did the tires fail, was it a problem with the tubes, or was it a puncture? Do you recall the tire brand?

Ed

It was years ago and I know it was a tube. When you are young, broke and think you are immortal you never thought about a blow out. I also had a front blow out with a buddy on the back. By the time I got it to the side of the road and my buddy off my back. I was so tired I had to rest on the side of the road as we laughed our asses of because we wern't dead. The next morning I woke up and my forearms were black and blue from the wrist to the elbow. I dont think I am strong enough at my age now to keep the front wheel straight today if it happened again...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs