In need of a bike!

More
04 Mar 2009 06:58 - 04 Mar 2009 07:02 #269598 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic In need of a bike!
I don't think the guy was being arrogant... stating a fact. When I buy a bike, I take four things into account.

1. amount in my checking account
2. condition of bike
3. how much I want this particular make/model
4. price

a. If price is greater than checking account, deal dead.
b. If condition of bike is not worth negotiated price, deal dead.
c. If bike is a make/model I don't reallllllly want to own, I know I will never finish it as a project bike so deal is dead
d. Price must line up with my finances, bike's condition and how much I want to own this make/model.

It would be very fair to say that a bike worth $5000 to me wouldn't be worth it to old_Skool_77 or vise versa. I don't like struts, the pro-pipe and the long swing arm or the chrome. These things are what Old_Skool_77 seem to be looking for. I can understand that two men have different druthers in bikes... that's why they build different bikes.

Take the test yourself... that pretty purple thing that Kawasakiman posted a pic of... It is probably worth $10K (looks like a money pit to me) but I wouldn't want it because I wouldn't ride it... so I wouldn't pay $10K. Does that mean someone else wouldn't love to own it? It might be a bargain at $10K to someone.

If anyone has ever built or better said, rebuilt a KZ from scratch, they KNOW what kind of money goes into this job; even if you do all or most of the work yourself.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 07:02 by wiredgeorge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2009 08:07 #269622 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic In need of a bike!
If I was looking for a quality KZ and had been lurking here for a while. I might post the exact same thing. Some of you have had many so I would assume you sold them. Plus I could go over your past posts and determine if you were credible. As strange as you think the original post is. I think if someone was looking for a quality bike and willing to pay a fair price this is where I would go. Sure beats playing roulette on EBAY or Craigs List. In many cases one could follow the entire restoration of a bike with pictures that he might buy right on this site. Not everyone has the time or expertise to restore one themselves but would still like to own and ride a great classic....Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
04 Mar 2009 08:49 #269631 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic In need of a bike!
quote="I have cash and it is no object. I know my bikes, so don't try to get one over on me. I'll be the judge on the price of the bike if its worth it to me."

arrogance from merriam-webster =

Main Entry: ar·ro·gance
Pronunciation: \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

just sayin i don't think anybody on here will try to "get one over on me"or anybody.i believe we have weeded that element out.

that's my .02

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• old_skool_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
More
04 Mar 2009 22:18 - 04 Mar 2009 23:10 #269765 by old_skool_77
Replied by old_skool_77 on topic In need of a bike!
Maybe I did come off a tad bit arrogant, but wasn't my intentions at all. Just get a few folks here and there that try to sell bikes for a ridiculous amount of money and the bikes sometime aren't worth what there asking for. Whether it be a stock z1 or hyped up kz. I've owned a handful of kz's over the years and done a fair share of modifications and restorations on a few. The bike in my profile pic is a 1980 kz1000 ltd I bought for 50.00 dollars with a vetter fairing and bags. I sold the bike for 3000.00 when I was done with it. Don't get me wrong guys. There's nothing like doin the work personally on my own. I'm just lookin for a good old skool bike that I can ride around town and turn heads and eat up some v-twins. I'm in the process of restoring a 1974 900. Thing is that the bike isn't gonna be done for awile. I've been on ebay and craigslist and haven't found anything that catches my eye. Alot of bike are priced too high for the condition that they are in. Or they need a whole lot of work done to them. I dont want to sink money into two bikes at once. I just want to buy a bike that is ready to look and run the way I want it to or atleast close to what I want in a bike. I work alot of hours and have a family to spend time with. I'm sure a handful of you guys can relate to me. So time is of the essence when it come to gettin on a bike and riding and free time to work on one.B)

1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 23:10 by old_skool_77.

• old_skool_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
More
04 Mar 2009 22:31 - 04 Mar 2009 23:07 #269767 by old_skool_77
I just want have a nice looking, great running bike to get on and go. No harm in that I think. ;)

1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 23:07 by old_skool_77.

• old_skool_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
More
04 Mar 2009 23:01 #269768 by old_skool_77
A bike like something of this style is what I'm looking for to buy.

1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2009 00:25 #269773 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic In need of a bike!
I agree some folks think the bike they have is 4000$ being in chit condition. Dude is shootin straight as an arrow,i'll buy it if its PROPER and pay what i think its,worth so shoot me a pic and lets do work. Sounds like something i would say,thats how me mudder raised me.....:laugh:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
05 Mar 2009 07:30 #269804 by 531blackbanshee
absolutely no harm in wanting what you want.that is the same thing most(all)of us wan't.
i am an open honest and upfront person.i just think that if it has web feet,a bill, waddles and quacks it is a duck,and will state such.i stated what i thought,didn't say it was good or bad,just stated a fact.i can,have been and will be in the future arrogant i'm sure,altough i try not to be.
i wan't you to find the bike you want for the price you wan't because i want you to show us the pictures :laugh: .
is there pearl in the paint of the bike in your avatar?
click the link on the bottom of kawasakiman's sig and check out those long low chromed out rides,he seems to have buddies and connections along those lines and might be able to assist your search.i hope you find what you want and show us the pics:woohoo: .

leon holmes

1976 kz 900 x 3

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
05 Mar 2009 07:56 #269809 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic In need of a bike!
old_skool_77 wrote:

A bike like something of this style is what I'm looking for to buy.

That's a really nice bike. The kick stand cracks me up though....its so tiny. :laugh:
That's kind of how I want mine to end up, but it may have to sit a little higher to be able to get in and out of my driveway.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
05 Mar 2009 09:46 #269824 by 531blackbanshee
looks like it would be a good application of some air ride.
that way you could have your cake(low)and eat it too(get in and out of the driveway)haha,bike is a cool lookin knuckledragger tho.

leon holmes

1976 kz 900 x 3

• old_skool_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
More
05 Mar 2009 09:47 #269825 by old_skool_77
Thanks for the intrest. The paint actually is a rattle can job. And unfortunatly I'm no paint master. But this paint wasn't half ass bad for the price it cost for the paint which was hardly nothing. Just a glossy red paint from wal-mart I think. :laugh: Alot of sanding and elbow and wrist aches. It turned out excellent though, no runs or imperfections. I babied the process of this paint.

1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd

More
05 Mar 2009 10:34 #269830 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic In need of a bike!
531blackbanshee wrote:

click the link on the bottom of kawasakiman's sig and check out those long low chromed out rides,he seems to have buddies and connections along those lines and might be able to assist your search.i hope you find what you want and show us the pics:woohoo: .

leon holmes

thanks!
i didn't think anyone actually looked at that.
that's what we do here.
like wg said, there not everyone's cup of tea.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.