Antique Plates

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Jan 2009 13:08 #257273 by Kawickrice
Antique Plates was created by Kawickrice
I have been trying to get a 1973 original issue Florida plate registered to my 1973 Z1 and this is what I found out.B)

The state of Florida will register old license plates to match your year up to 1975. After this time they use stickers. The older plates have the year stamped in them and the color of the plate changed by year. I e-mailed the Division of Motor Vehicles in Tallahassee and this is what I have to do. Send in a plate that has not been repainted (must be original), your current registration, a check for 22.00 (includes return postage), and a brief note explaining what you want done. Florida only has one person in the whole state that does license plate verifications, so she said it would take about three weeks for the plate to be returned. Right now I have the regular antique plate, but then again so does every one else with an old vehicle.:( I thought this would be unique for a unique bike. Got mine on e-bay for six dollars, shipping included. 28 dollars total to do this is a fair price to me. Here is a pic of what the 1973 Florida plate looks like.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2009 15:20 #257289 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Antique Plates
Great!

Kentucky use to alternate between a blue and white back ground and alternating numeral colors.

I was painting lamps at the time and i would paint my plate and take a sponge and do the colors. Never got caught.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Jan 2009 18:31 #257342 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Antique Plates
roy-b-boy-b wrote:

Great!

Kentucky use to alternate between a blue and white back ground and alternating numeral colors.

I was painting lamps at the time and i would paint my plate and take a sponge and do the colors. Never got caught.

Was the year stamped like the Fl plate? If so the police must not have paid much attention. If I did that I would get caught every time.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
12 Jan 2009 05:24 #257457 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Antique Plates
Yes they were stamped. That was back in the day a policeman would be suprised if a bike had a licence plate.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
12 Jan 2009 12:41 #257515 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Antique Plates
Yep, we've got the same arrangement in Alberta. They will let you display an old plate on your vintage bike BUT.....
you HAVE to carry the new style plate that the bike is actually registered on so you can show it to the cops if you get stopped. The two plates are tied together in the DMV computer so the cops can make sense of the whole deal.
I know two guys who have made the switchover but neither of them carries his new plate with them. Talk about living dangerously. IIRC, the fine for that kind of violation is now C$135.00 plus tax. Alright for some, I guess....:)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.