Industry Updates

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
21 Dec 2008 05:27 - 21 Dec 2008 05:29 #253813 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Industry Updates
violentvintagecycles wrote:

I got laid off last saturday.. Is that bad enough? Im scared shit, theres nothing out there..

It's tough when it happens. 6 years ago it happened to me, my organization was dismantled - there were no prospects for me in this area. I used it as an opportunity to start Z1 Enterprises.

I was fortunate that I had a good idea it was going to happen 6 months before it did, so I could do a little planning to get the company moving.

It isn't easy going through things like this - but you have to be positive, persistent, and look at all opportunities. There is money to be made out there. But you have to go and get it. Far too many people laid off retreat into a shell and hope a job will land on their doorstep - it doesn't.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 21 Dec 2008 05:29 by Jeff.Saunders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
21 Dec 2008 17:42 #253984 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Industry Updates

Without going off on a tangent, but before anyone starts thinking that we're safe because we ride older bikes, we're not. The least they could do would be to restrict the yearly miles or purpose the bike is used for as a condition of registration. At the extreme they could refuse to register any vehicle manufactured prior to X date. And don't assert that it can't happen because it most certainly can and probably will someplace.

Well, Nate, lawmakers CAN come up with some weird stuff but I've gotta disagree with you on this one. If they went ahead with something like this they'd also have to include old cages as well....and I'd bet that's not going to happen.
A lot of lawmakers and other influential citizens have old cars and it'd be a long time before they'd vote their own hobby out of existence or, at the very least, regulate it so that it's not any "fun".
Old motorcycles may NOT be an "acceptable" hobby in the eyes of most folks BUT old cars certainly are.
In the overall scheme of things, old bikes and old cars are such a miniscule portion of the total vehicle population that they're not even on the pollution radar screen, IMO.
My .02 worth...

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
21 Dec 2008 17:54 #253989 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Industry Updates
now iremember why ileft california after i got out of the army in late 80s!

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
21 Dec 2008 18:07 #253990 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Industry Updates
H2RICK wrote:

Without going off on a tangent, but before anyone starts thinking that we're safe because we ride older bikes, we're not. The least they could do would be to restrict the yearly miles or purpose the bike is used for as a condition of registration. At the extreme they could refuse to register any vehicle manufactured prior to X date. And don't assert that it can't happen because it most certainly can and probably will someplace.

Well, Nate, lawmakers CAN come up with some weird stuff but I've gotta disagree with you on this one. If they went ahead with something like this they'd also have to include old cages as well....and I'd bet that's not going to happen.
A lot of lawmakers and other influential citizens have old cars and it'd be a long time before they'd vote their own hobby out of existence or, at the very least, regulate it so that it's not any "fun".
Old motorcycles may NOT be an "acceptable" hobby in the eyes of most folks BUT old cars certainly are.
In the overall scheme of things, old bikes and old cars are such a miniscule portion of the total vehicle population that they're not even on the pollution radar screen, IMO.
My .02 worth...

Having just gone through the CA hoops with an offroad bike, all I gotta say is the craziness knows no bounds. I put a "meets regulations" engine in a "doesn't meet regulations" frame and they wouldn't even give me a title, despite the fact that frames have no bearing on emissions (other than weight). So I switched the engine to a frame that "meets regulations" because it is one, read that ONE (1), year older and was within the cutoff and now my bike is considered "meets environmental regulations" and certified with a title and a year round off-road sticker.

Just saying that you shouldn't rule out any government action no matter how stupid, worthless, hypocritical, one sided, etc. Bureaucracy only breeds bureaucracy, except on TV where watching people stumble around in a bureaucracy is considered "must see TV".

Rules and regs with no real benefit will be enforced because it feels like it should do something and because it looks like they did something. Like with off-road/race bikes in CA, rather than do emission tests on new bikes they just restricted the use and purchase of all 2-stroke engines, and all race bikes because they are "unsafe" and mainly used for racing. Hence I see a time when sport bikes get restricted because their intended purpose is racing.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
22 Dec 2008 05:27 #254069 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Industry Updates
H2RICK wrote:

My .02 worth...

Ahhh, here is where the USA differs from the rest of the world. The rest of the world looks at old vehicles and agrees that they're not worth taking off the road. Here in the good ol' USA the do-gooders know no boundaries and will work to remove a fun hobby because deep down they resent anyone having any fun at all.

Our whackos aren't tempered with any shred of common sense. And now they believe that they have been empowered for change after the recent elections and will work diligently to achieve their goals. That's what sets the USA apart from everyone else and why I'm not as optimistic as you can be.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
22 Dec 2008 08:21 #254105 by PLUMMEN
damn epa cops!;)

Attachments:

More
22 Dec 2008 08:26 #254106 by PLUMMEN
PLUMMEN wrote:

damn epa cops!;)

:laugh:

Attachments:

More
22 Dec 2008 13:36 #254155 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Industry Updates
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
25 Dec 2008 16:33 - 26 Dec 2008 06:43 #254661 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Industry Updates
N0NB wrote:

H2RICK wrote:

My .02 worth...

Ahhh, here is where the USA differs from the rest of the world. The rest of the world looks at old vehicles and agrees that they're not worth taking off the road. Here in the good ol' USA the do-gooders know no boundaries and will work to remove a fun hobby because deep down they resent anyone having any fun at all.

Our whackos aren't tempered with any shred of common sense. And now they believe that they have been empowered for change after the recent elections and will work diligently to achieve their goals. That's what sets the USA apart from everyone else and why I'm not as optimistic as you can be.

Huh..here comes another big ol KZR group hug.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2008 06:43 by arai59.