anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s

More
12 Dec 2008 09:24 #252203 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
I have often heard the last generation ZX-9 can be made into a comfortable and economical cruiser for The Large. I remember Cycle World had it highlighted as one of their used gems, reasonably priced, etc. It looks like a rocket, but is actually a big ol' framed thing and not nearly as darty as the newer generation sportbikes.

Have to see if I can dig up some articles, but I remember discussion of adding bar risers, after market seat and luggage and generally outfitting for comfort and touring-capability.

'75 Z1B with mods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Dec 2008 09:29 #252207 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
a real sleeper those zx-9 and underated to boot...i talked with a suziki tent rep at seca this year and he'd just sold his to his younger brother''said it was one of the best all around bikes he's ever had and he still has about 5 different bikes at that time...said he wanted to start his bro off right!!!

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
12 Dec 2008 20:05 #252284 by steell
Replied by steell on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
I don't know if it's the same for other mechanics, but I have to force myself to ignore all sounds coming from the motor or it will drive me nuts thinking something is wrong :P

Ignorance really is bliss :D

KD9JUR

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
13 Dec 2008 20:46 #252471 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
Gosh, if I ever heard a big bore twin that DIDN'T make a bunch of weird engine noises, I'd be suspicious that the sump was full of STP or banana peels or sawdust or something....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
14 Dec 2008 20:27 - 14 Dec 2008 21:04 #252700 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
I've got a buddy who (foolishly) loaned his (former) friend from high school the dosh to buy a ZX9...you know what happened next: former friend wads up the 9 being 'wheelie boy' in front of some teeny-boppers and strokes his nugget in the process. So, my buddy has all his cash in a wadded up bike in an impound yard and the sole witness to this transaction is in the hospital with a C.H.I. Anyway, he ends up with a crashed 9 and converts it over b/c he saw that motorcycle article and he LOVES that bike. Best part: he's a die-hard Suzuki guy, even works for a suzuki shop! :woohoo: They are great bikes!

ZZR: Fantastic bikes. I think these guys you are seeing selling them are guys in their mid-years and "remembered" his buddy had a GPz in college and it was a Kawasaki and it was great. They buy the thing under the sport/tour banner and get a bit used to it and then *bang* they get the livin' poop scared out of them and realize the bike is big and powerful and they're not sure about their mortality anymore. As you will note, not too many with more miles on them than that for sale and I think it's b/c there are a LOT more ZZRs out there with happy owners who aren't interested in selling their bikes...at all. They are a Kawasaki that has Z1 like qualities in this aspect: it's ready for the owner to make it 'his'. If you want a corner scraper, stiffen the forks, beef the suspension, throw on a header and jet kit and you're "on". Want more comfort: taller windscreen, Heli-riser handlebars, Corbin seat. As is, it's in the middle of "sport/tour"...well duh, that's how it's marketed. Some guys bitch about soft suspension (hello! 'tour'!); some guys bitch about comfort (hello! 'sport'!).
It's a powerhouse 1200 also and it shares no internal parts with the ZX11; but it is similar in it's Kawasaki-execution. I had a ZX11 and I've got a buddy with the 12, similar but not the same...in my opinion (and remember I owned an 11) the 12 is better in all aspects, to include comfort.

I think it's a great bike, you'll quit bitching about the 'looks' when you hit those smokin' bright beams at night...outstanding lighting.

My opinion: great bike. My buddy went softer for the 'tour' end, Corbin, taller screen, Heli risers. Loves it and admits is too much motor for him...but he likes that.

-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)
Last edit: 14 Dec 2008 21:04 by Bad Kaw.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Dec 2008 09:17 #252796 by trianglelaguna
thats what i think and i can tell her i'm getting it for a touring bike...which it would be...but it would also be be a platform to have a bad kawi to hop around on...thanks...your not helping me be patient though ...Bad Kaw wrote:

I've got a buddy who (foolishly) loaned his (former) friend from high school the dosh to buy a ZX9...you know what happened next: former friend wads up the 9 being 'wheelie boy' in front of some teeny-boppers and strokes his nugget in the process. So, my buddy has all his cash in a wadded up bike in an impound yard and the sole witness to this transaction is in the hospital with a C.H.I. Anyway, he ends up with a crashed 9 and converts it over b/c he saw that motorcycle article and he LOVES that bike. Best part: he's a die-hard Suzuki guy, even works for a suzuki shop! :woohoo: They are great bikes!

ZZR: Fantastic bikes. I think these guys you are seeing selling them are guys in their mid-years and "remembered" his buddy had a GPz in college and it was a Kawasaki and it was great. They buy the thing under the sport/tour banner and get a bit used to it and then *bang* they get the livin' poop scared out of them and realize the bike is big and powerful and they're not sure about their mortality anymore. As you will note, not too many with more miles on them than that for sale and I think it's b/c there are a LOT more ZZRs out there with happy owners who aren't interested in selling their bikes...at all. They are a Kawasaki that has Z1 like qualities in this aspect: it's ready for the owner to make it 'his'. If you want a corner scraper, stiffen the forks, beef the suspension, throw on a header and jet kit and you're "on". Want more comfort: taller windscreen, Heli-riser handlebars, Corbin seat. As is, it's in the middle of "sport/tour"...well duh, that's how it's marketed. Some guys bitch about soft suspension (hello! 'tour'!); some guys bitch about comfort (hello! 'sport'!).
It's a powerhouse 1200 also and it shares no internal parts with the ZX11; but it is similar in it's Kawasaki-execution. I had a ZX11 and I've got a buddy with the 12, similar but not the same...in my opinion (and remember I owned an 11) the 12 is better in all aspects, to include comfort.

I think it's a great bike, you'll quit bitching about the 'looks' when you hit those smokin' bright beams at night...outstanding lighting.

My opinion: great bike. My buddy went softer for the 'tour' end, Corbin, taller screen, Heli risers. Loves it and admits is too much motor for him...but he likes that.

-KR

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
15 Dec 2008 20:39 #252952 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
:)
Spending your money is easier than spending mine! I'm there for ya!

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
15 Dec 2008 21:40 - 15 Dec 2008 21:41 #252964 by steell
Speaking of five hour trips, my buddy rode a ten year old Honda SL70 (that's 70 cc's) from Frankfurt KY to Muncie IN, although I think it took him 8 or 9 hours :D

You don't need a new bike to take long trips, you just need an adventurous spirit :D

KD9JUR
Last edit: 15 Dec 2008 21:41 by steell.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Dec 2008 22:26 #252970 by trianglelaguna
your right i will buy the next 70 cc bike i see for sale and my girl and ( i weigh 290) and are weekend gear will head up over the sierra nevadas for the week...why did'nt i think of that...well....thanks for the helpsteell wrote:

Speaking of five hour trips, my buddy rode a ten year old Honda SL70 (that's 70 cc's) from Frankfurt KY to Muncie IN, although I think it took him 8 or 9 hours :D

You don't need a new bike to take long trips, you just need an adventurous spirit :D

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
16 Dec 2008 05:00 - 16 Dec 2008 10:39 #253000 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic anyone got the scoop on zzr1200s
theres a zx14 turbo for sale on ebay for your adventurous spirit!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Dec 2008 10:39 by PLUMMEN.

More
16 Dec 2008 06:07 - 16 Dec 2008 06:22 #253005 by steell
trianglelaguna wrote:

your right i will buy the next 70 cc bike i see for sale and my girl and ( i weigh 290) and are weekend gear will head up over the sierra nevadas for the week...why did'nt i think of that...well....thanks for the help

In 1970 I had just gotten married (1st out of 3 times) and was working at my Father in law's truck stop in Salome AZ. Met a guy from Montreal that was touring the Country on a Yamaha RT1. That's a 360cc single cylinder two stroke enduro bike.

Point taken about the weight thing, that's why I positively hate riding with a passenger. You might want to check the weight capacity of any prospective bike, you may find yourself limited to the fat tired touring bikes.

6'3" and 250 lbs (gained 25 lbs when I quit smoking).

Edit for more info:

Total weight of both riders and all gear should not be more than 397lbs.

www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?name=Forums...ostorder=asc&start=0

ZZR1200 review at Motorcyclist:

www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/200...i_zzr1200/index.html

KD9JUR
Last edit: 16 Dec 2008 06:22 by steell.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Dec 2008 06:49 #253006 by trianglelaguna
steell wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote:

your right i will buy the next 70 cc bike i see for sale and my girl and ( i weigh 290) and are weekend gear will head up over the sierra nevadas for the week...why did'nt i think of that...well....thanks for the help

In 1970 I had just gotten married (1st out of 3 times) and was working at my Father in law's truck stop in Salome AZ. Met a guy from Montreal that was touring the Country on a Yamaha RT1. That's a 360cc single cylinder two stroke enduro bike.

Point taken about the weight thing, that's why I positively hate riding with a passenger. You might want to check the weight capacity of any prospective bike, you may find yourself limited to the fat tired touring bikes.
6'3" and 250 lbs (gained 25 lbs when I quit smoking)
I KNOW I KONW
i am 6'7" and on a good day 285.. with my girl and some pockett change i'm sure i push the safety margin on my 900 with dunlops.....i check tire pressure a lot and try and "get light on the pegs when were hualing butt'no pun intended..and my koni shocks cranked all the way up seem to deal very well...still i keep my ears awake and try and watch the road for potholes ....we do suprisingly well though.. and i'm just threading for some feedback from anyone who has ridin one of the zzr big bikes..that bike seemed reasonable, a kawi,fast.and really all i would afford when i get ready..my girl is a great passenger..and likes to go on new turn offs and explore...the kz for me is a great ripper and fun to pull out and go for a blast..i think it is a little hard on her though...thanks for all the feedback....fun thread...peace

Edit for more info:

Total weight of both riders and all gear should not be more than 397lbs.

www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?name=Forums...ostorder=asc&start=0

ZZR1200 review at Motorcyclist:

www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/200...i_zzr1200/index.html

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife